Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adblue is generating crazy volumes of plastic waste

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Of course it's to do with health as nox is extremely harmful to us.

Yes, you are correct, SCR systems are included in vehicles to help meet EU emission standards, which exist due to environmental concerns which then lead on to possible health concerns.

Your post implied that the SCR system on an individual vehicle was there to protect that drivers health, which just isn't the case in any meaningful way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Expensive recovery? Or just throw a few litres of AdBlue in yourself and away you go.
    323 wrote: »
    If AdBlue tank goes empty, most vehicles will stop. So would need an expensive recovery collection to have the vehicle taken to a dealership for them to reset.

Friend was in London last year with a company vehicle, couldnt find AdBlue, topped it up with water rather than get stranded in the city. Worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

killanena wrote: »
    Its you whose throwing the plastic into general waste bin. Either bring it home or ask at the counter if they can dispose of it for you.

What's the point of a shop having both bin types? Some people are going to ignore the signs on bins and contaminate the recycling bins anyways, leaving the shop having to pay a fine if noticed by their contacted refuse collection company.

Edit: I have also heard of places having a pump much like a normal diesel or petrol pump that dispense ad blue. Although I haven't seen one personally in my part of the country.

Because all businesses are legally obliged to segregate their waste- including the post consumer waste from the products they sell. So by definition they should have separate bins for recycling and residual. What should happen to the recyclable packaging (e.g. disposable coffee cup lids) that they are also producing on site? Of course they should have recycling bins- and a large company like Circle K should already be set up to accommodate this when they did the expensive rebranding and refitting of service stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dubbrin

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I will call my local Ford dealer in the morning and query the high adblue consumption

out of interest did you call them? I'm interested to hear their response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

baaba maal wrote:
    Because all businesses are legally obliged to segregate their waste- including the post consumer waste from the products they sell. So by definition they should have separate bins for recycling and residual. What should happen to the recyclable packaging (e.g. disposable coffee cup lids) that they are also producing on site? Of course they should have recycling bins- and a large company like Circle K should already be set up to accommodate this when they did the expensive rebranding and refitting of service stations.

I've yet to see any shop that provides both bin types to customer or asks it sales assistants / forecourt attendants dig through consumer refuse to separate recyclables. Including Circle K garages.

Being realistic, what I said originally that if it bothers you how your plastic waste is disposed of, hand it into a staff member or bring it home / public recycling bin to dispose of yourself.

Also biodegradable cups and lids are used by the likes of Circle K. Only recently enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

dubbrin wrote: »

I called my local Ford dealer here in Midlands

Waste of time. They said nobody ever complained before of high adblue consumption. They asked me to fill it up and zero my odometer and do a precise record of it and get back to them when it's empty again.

I also just sent an email to Circle K stating I find it appalling they don't have recycling bins for all the adblue drums/containers being generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

dubbrin wrote: »

What happens if you fill it with water?

Can it tell the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Waste of time. They said nobody ever complained before of high adblue consumption. They asked me to fill it up and zero my odometer and do a precise record of it and get back to them when it's empty again.

They said the only possible thing they could have said.

For starters, even if there is a fault they are hardly going to diagnose it over the phone. And secondly, nobody can start to diagnose the fault without first confirming that there is a fault in the first place. If you say the adblue consumption is too high, then step one is to measure what the adblue consumption actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I also just sent an email to Circle K stating I find it appalling they don't have recycling bins for all the adblue drums/containers being generated.

You should have mentioned all the bottles of Fanta they sell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

People aren't consuming massive amounts of fanta onsite like they are with adblue though, so that doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Maybe I missed it but can you define what you mean by high consumption?

Do you just throw in 1.5 litres at a time or are you filling it to max? (20 Litres)

For example my A6 is using approx 1.5 litres of Adblue to 1000Kms.
    This means as the tank is 17 litres I refill every 10000-11000 Kms.

Just as a matter of interest how old is the ranger? From googling it some people say the ranger was poor at the start and after running in gets up to 6000 miles to a fill of 20litres.

Also the amount of adblue used depends on the driving style for example towing can increase the usage. Audi for example says it can be between .5-2.5% of the amount of diesel used.

They said the only possible thing they could have said.

For starters, even if there is a fault they are hardly going to diagnose it over the phone. And secondly, nobody can start to diagnose the fault without first confirming that there is a fault in the first place. If you say the adblue consumption is too high, then step one is to measure what the adblue consumption actually is.

I called them to establish what the average adblue consumption should be for a Ford ranger. They couldn't give me an estimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I called them to establish what the average adblue consumption should be for a Ford ranger. They couldn't give me an estimate

It will be quite high as they aren't the most fuel efficient.

Sort runs start and stop will also increase.

Yes without getting hung up on the adblue consumption my whole point is the dreadful added waste of plastic that's now added to each fuel fill for a diesel vehicle with no recycling facility in 2019 is mad in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Usually diesels only use1 to 1.5 %adblue compared to diesel.. if the ford ranger is using too much it will prematurely block up the dpf and I bet ford won't have any issues carrying out a costly repair and there masters at avoiding repairs under warranty.. had a company transit van a few years ago and it cost an arm and a leg to keep it on the road ..fuel system total disaster ..alternator.starter motor. Glow plugs.. and ford always wriggled out of covering anything under warranty..
    Changed to a crafter never a days bother. The company had about 6 transits and all were bad crap
    Chase up the consumption issue try another dealer

People aren't consuming massive amounts of fanta onsite like they are with adblue though, so that doesn't really make sense.

They do in the Circle K near me. A lot of people sit down for breakfast and lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Production and consumption of a 1.5 l plastic bottle is maybe .25kg of carbon dioxide (see https://sciencing.com/carbon-footprint-plastic-bottle-12307187.html)

Production and consumption of a litre of diesel results in 2.64kg of carbon dioxide. (http://ecoscore.be/en/info/ecoscore/co2)

In terms of environmental impact, think about the impact of a plastic bottle compared to the impact of driving around using fuel in a large diesel vehicle, doing 12litre/100km stop-start around the city.

The plastic bottle has about the same impact as driving the vehicle 800 meters (half a mile).

Plastic is certainly a scourge but in the grand scheme of transport pollution it doesn't amount to much.

The VDA has an article on it's website relating to Adblue for passenger cars. Definition of standards for AdBlue® refilling containers "Recyclable (minimum requirement: recyclable; reusable systems are preferred)"

Did you check if the bottle you used was recyclable OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes without getting hung up on the adblue consumption my whole point is the dreadful added waste of plastic that's now added to each fuel fill for a diesel vehicle with no recycling facility in 2019 is mad in my opinion.

If your vehicle has a 20 litre adblue tank and you are using 1.5 litre bottles at a time, you are part of the problem. Fill the tank up for God's sake.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    If your vehicle has a 20 litre adblue tank and you are using 1.5 litre bottles at a time, you are part of the problem. Fill the tank up for God's sake.

I have arthritis in my back. 20 litres is extremely heavy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Buy a cheap pumping system on ebay / amazon or fill in stations that provide it on pumps.

You’re obviously making great use of the pickup so :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’re obviously making great use of the pickup so :)

What do you mean by that comment?

Have you lifted a 20 litre drum of fluid and poured it out minding not to spill any with a bad back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have you lifted a 20 litre drum of fluid and poured it out minding not to spill any with a bad back?

You don't need to! Just find a Circle K with an adblue pump and fill your tank there. My god, talk about being obtuse.

What do you mean by that comment?

Ah I’m only having a pop! There are ways around it, there are sizes available in between the 2. Maybe not from Circle K though.

How do you deal with screen wash bottles OP? I would guess that far more waste is generated by screen wash bottles, especially in this country

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You don't need to! Just find a Circle K with an adblue pump and fill your tank there. My god, talk about being obtuse.

I live in rural Ireland. No circle k stations I know have adblue on pumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I live in rural Ireland. No circle k stations I know have adblue on pumps

Can't buy a little hand pump? We use a bike pump to pump petrol out of our scramblers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'll take that on board. However you say that the bins are full of these cartons. The majority of people are perfectly capable of filling with a 10 litre bottle at least.

I'll obviously give you the benefit of the doubt given your condition but would you agree there's an element of laziness going on here with other motorists?

• Advertisement
Advertisement