Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Chilli thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Most varieties would start green and mature to red/whatever colour they are but some occasionally a pod will start out as a mature colour.

Not much growing for me this year unfortunately. Took all the bushes/trees/hedges out of the garden, rotovated and leveled/re-seeded so didn't get much time to look after my chilli plants. Lost a lot to slugs because of where I had to put them. I wouldn't expect much in the line of chillis before September anyway so there is time for a growth spurt but I won't reach last years abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I have a couple of Apache chilli plants growing on a windowsill which are both doing rather well and have lots of fruit growing, which are meant to be inch long green chillies according to the label.

However, one of the plants has one bright red chilli just begging to grow. Is this normal?

Chilli fruits go from green to red so you obviously missed the green bit. You can now pick it if you want, congrats! :)

Chilli fruits go from green to red so you obviously missed the green bit. You can now pick it if you want, congrats! :)

Wahey, sometimes life's OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

No 2020 growing thread then?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

nc6000 wrote: »
    No 2020 growing thread then?

I think one of my tomatoes is a chilli. I'll update here in a few weeks if I'm right :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Didn't have much time this year so just threw a few Jalapeno and Cayenne seeds in a propagator as they will mostly look after themselves and not much effort required. Will have some chilli's come September but nothing unusual or too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wolftown

Does anyone overwinter their chilli plants? Have my Chenzo's 4/5 years now but they seem to be struggling this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Dunno if I should start a new thread but dying to know how you got on with your biquinhos Gandalf! I’ve been obsessed with eating these the last while, started a veg garden in my conservatory in March which included planting some “Tokyo hot” (a cayenne variety?) chillis.

I only thought to get biquinho seeds mid April and by the time they arrived it’s been too late so I’m eagerly awaiting next year to get them started!

Have 4 cayennes on the go at the moment all still very small and slow to grow despite being in a hothouse. Say they’re between 3 and 6 inches tall at this stage…can’t wait for them to start stretching…my tomatoes are near 2m now…feel like the chillis are mocking me lol

Any other chilli enthusiasts growing this year?? 🌶

Advertisement