Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir won't close my account

• 17-02-2019 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

As per Eir's cancellation policy i gave 30 days written notice in December 2018 to close my account and returned the broadband equipment. The account is still active despite the written notice. I've tried ringing 3 times in past week, kept on hold for over an hour each time. I sent another letter on 7th Feb asking to confirm closure of the account .I've also tried Eir's webchat service who told me to phone(!) Surely this is illegal? I'm at my wits end and still being charged for a service I'm not using.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cancel your direct debit with the bank. Stop it at source

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Deeclif75

antodeco wrote: »
    Cancel your direct debit with the bank. Stop it at source
    Thanks but I cancelled the direct debit but am still receiving bills with an added charge for cancelling the direct debit!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Deeclif75 wrote: »
    Thanks but I cancelled the direct debit but am still receiving bills with an added charge for cancelling the direct debit!!

Yeah but they're not taking money from you. Keep a record of all emails and attempted phone calls. If you are still getting nowhere, request a data access request for all data on your account (they will then have to show all your correspondence to them also).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is that where you have to write a letter to that office in Dublin, are they still at that crap, should be illegal but unfortunately it's not. 
    Cancelling a direct debit does not cancel the bill, your now in default and eircon will not close the account. 
    Just call comreg tomorrow on them, don't waste any more of your time. 

Is that where you have to write a letter to that office in Dublin, are they still at that crap, should be illegal but unfortunately it's not. 
    Cancelling a direct debit does not cancel the bill, your now in default and eircon will not close the account. 
    Just call comreg tomorrow on them, don't waste any more of your time. 

Thanks. Yes sent it twice to the address they have on their website under 'how to cancel' section. What a joke, can't believe they can get away with this. Someone told me that i have to phone Eir to get a complaint number before i can contact Comreg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fat chance of that just call comreg. Had they same crap with them trying to cancel before. Don't know why they put people through it as they won't come back after putting up with that crap to cancel in the first place. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Don't know why they put people through it as they won't come back after putting up with that crap to cancel in the first place."

I agree it's idiotic. It is normally driven by a stupid management KPI (Key Performance Indicator).
    They are often reviewed on a weekly or monthly basis.
    The customer retention operation is measured on how many customers they keep/loose.
    In a well run operation they are given access to incentives to keep cost sensitive customers.
    (Cost sensitive customers are rare breed in Ireland, people don't understand that loyalty get you screwed.)

In a carp operation like Eir they just fec the customer around around by making it as awkward as possible, to keep the numbers up.

It bloody ridiculous that ComReg allow this sort of crap to continue.

ComReg need to change the regulation so that you cancel by email or at via your online account.

In the interim save yourself a lot of grief:

Get a a copy of your last bill by:

Write "Cancel account" in big black marker across the bill and sign and date it.
    Take a photo for your records.

Send the bill by registered snail mail to:

Eir
    Account cancellation [font=Calibri", "sans-serif]Team,
    [/font]

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]Floor 2,
    Heuston South Quarter,
    St. John’s Road,
    Dublin 8[/font]

I know this is a pain but a good few Post offices are open Saturday mornings.
    Keep a copy of the registered receipt.

Cancel direct debit.

Eir should send you a letter confirming cancellation and requesting return of any equipment and final bill.

Trust me this will save you a mountain of grief and leave you in control.

Of course you shouldn't have to do this but trust its a lot easier than hours on hold and lots of broken promises.

Got onto Comreg who said i have to have been through Eir's complaints procedure. How exactly can i do that if they won't answer the phone???!
    I've never come across such bad customer service; Eir don't answer the phone, dont respond to written notice to close account, don't respond to written letters, don't respond to message board. I'll be telling this ordeal to everyone i know; what a bad way to run a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Got onto Comreg who said i have to have been through Eir's complaints procedure. How exactly can i do that if they won't answer the phone???!
    I've never come across such bad customer service; Eir don't answer the phone,  dont respond to written notice to close account, don't respond to written letters,  don't respond to message board. I'll be telling this ordeal to everyone i know; what a bad way to run a business.
    Then just tell Comreg you have been through Eir's complaint procedure and they never got back to you.

my3cents wrote: »
    Then just tell Comreg you have been through Eir's complaint procedure and they never got back to you.
    Got onto Comreg this morning, gave me email address and if they don't confirm closure of the account in 10 working days they will escalate the complaint directly. Can't believe i have to go through this stressful process to cancel a service. I don't know of any other service that behaves like this!

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Got onto Comreg this morning, gave me email address and if they don't confirm closure of the account in 10 working days they will escalate the complaint directly. Can't believe i have to go through this stressful process to cancel a service.  I don't know of any other service that behaves like this!
    Is the email address ccm@eir.ie?

This email address needs to broadcast far and wide.

In dealings with Eir email is your friend.

Email gives you dated, documented evidence of your requests and the reply (or lack of) from Eir.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Is the email address ccm@eir.ie?

This email address needs to broadcast far and wide.

In dealings with Eir email is your friend.

Email gives you dated, documented evidence of your requests and the reply (or lack of) from Eir.

That's the one, at least i have a case number with Comreg now. Used their webchat service, very goodðŸ‘

the eir reps are very quiet in here!

Yes, very strange I never seen this email given out on any of the many threads about Eir's service.

I wonder are the reps aware of its existence or is a secret known only to a special few within Eir. :)

Yes, very strange I never seen this email given out on any of the many threads about Eir's service.

I wonder are the reps aware of its existence or is a secret known only to a special few within Eir. :)

2 articles in last week's Irish Times about same issues with Eir
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/going-spare-at-eir-pricewatch-mailbag-fills-up-with-complaints-1.3418274

Customer care seems non existent with Eir, even the fact there was no response from Eir reps to these posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I have a similar issue going on 6 months, First comreg is useless and second any time you try to cancel with eir you are fobbed off  if and when you get through yes im at loggers with them 6 months, Going to leave it till court and have all the proof at hand and the amount of times they have fooled me around.. I have moved house since so dont know if they will follow up because they can make calls apparently and my old house has been knocked down.  :)

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I have a similar issue going on 6 months, First comreg is useless and second any time you try to cancel with eir you are fobbed off  if and when you get through yes im at loggers with them 6 months, Going to leave it till court and have all the proof at hand and the amount of times they have fooled me around.. I have moved house since so dont know if they will follow up because they can make calls apparently and my old house has been knocked down.  :)
    That was a bit of an extreme way to get out of contract :D but whatever works of you.

jimmynokia wrote: »

You have to take them to court? god that's depressing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

As per Eir's cancellation policy i gave 30 days written notice in December 2018 to close my account and returned the broadband equipment. The account is still active despite the written notice. I've tried ringing 3 times in past week, kept on hold for over an hour each time. I sent another letter on 7th Feb asking to confirm closure of the account .I've also tried Eir's webchat service who told me to phone(!) Surely this is illegal? I'm at my wits end and still being charged for a service I'm not using.
    Hi Deeclif75

We can't close accounts through our Social Media channels.  You can click here to find more information on cancelling accounts. 

Many thanks

Linzi

"We can't close accounts through our Social Media channels"

Why not?

• Advertisement

eir: Linzi wrote: »
    Hi Deeclif75

We can't close accounts through our Social Media channels.  You can click here to find more information on cancelling accounts. 

Many thanks

Linzi

Linzi i did everything it says on that page...twice and still Eir won't acknowledge my correspondence and continue to send me bills.
    Webchat, calls, letters, email complaints, nothing seems to work. What else in the name of god do i have to do to end this contract and get this stress out of my life??

Linzi i did everything it says on that page...twice and still Eir won't acknowledge my correspondence and continue to send me bills.
    Webchat, calls, letters, email complaints, nothing seems to work. What else in the name of god do i have to do to end this contract and get this stress out of my life??

Also Eir stopped providing broadband on 25th January so they must have gotten my written notice but continue to charge me for broadband and phone package. Surely this is illegal???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ive been getting a bill nearly 4 yrs after leaving eir,got onto eir on twitter,got a reply quickly,gave details and hopefully all's sorted, although I'm not convinced yet,the greatest shower of idiot customer care on God's earth

Repeat request:

"We can't close accounts through our Social Media channels"

Why not?
    I think it's fair enough that an account cant be closed through social media, but what about a written request by email from the registered account holder to ccm@eir.ie stating the account number and request to cancel that account? my understanding is that from that point on Eir are legally obliged to cancel the account 30 days from the date specified on that email

I think it's fair enough that an account cant be closed through social media, but what about a written request by email from the registered account holder to ccm@eir.ie stating the account number and request to cancel that account? my understanding is that from that point on Eir are legally obliged to cancel the account 30 days from the date specified on that email

I understand that they may not handle cancellations through social media but they could have offered to PM me to deal with it but no.
    I've sent 2 of those emails now and a week later still no response. They don't seem accountable to anyone. Having to get Comreg involved is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

I understand that they may not handle cancellations through social media but they could have offered to PM me to deal with it but no.
    I've sent 2 of those emails now and a week later still no response.  They don't seem accountable to anyone. Having to get Comreg involved is just ridiculous.
    Deeclif75

I completely understand your frustration regarding this issue and we do apologise to our customers.  We are addressing this, but it will take a period of time to train up new employees.  You can only cancel your account by calling 1901 and speaking to the loyalty department.  

Many thanks

~Linzi

eir: Linzi wrote: »
    Deeclif75

I completely understand your frustration regarding this issue and we do apologise to our customers.  We are addressing this, but it will take a period of time to train up new employees.  You can only cancel your account by calling 1901 and speaking to the loyalty department.  

Many thanks

~Linzi
    And there is part of the problem its not a cancellations department its a "loyalty department". If Eir spent less time trying to persuade customers to stay with their badly managed service they'd have more time for their reps to deal with straight forward cancellations.

"You can only cancel your account by calling 1901 and speaking to the loyalty department.  "

Hi Linzi,
    Please stop making this statement, it is false and misleading.

You are not required to speak to anyone in Eir to cease your service.

"Under eir standard terms & conditions; you are required to give 30 days' written notice of your request to cease your eir service(s)."

If customer care is not available you may email a copy of your bill to ccm@eir.ie to legally cease the service.

Please correct this false and misleading statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭1874

Its like Eir dont exist, cant be contacted, why I will never be a customer of theirs, will never consider them as an option, some people may not have that option.
    Youd wonder why a rep would come on and tell someone to call 1901 to cancel when the OP said they did not get a reply off them already, very poor, who'd want the hassle??

• Advertisement

"You can only cancel your account by calling 1901 and speaking to the loyalty department.  "

Hi Linzi,
    Please stop making this statement, it is false and misleading.

You are not required to speak to anyone in Eir to cease your service.

"Under eir standard terms & conditions; you are required to give 30 days' written notice of your request to cease your eir service(s)."

If customer care is not available you may email a copy of your bill to ccm@eir.ie to legally cease the service.

Please correct this false and misleading statement.

Exactly!! That is what is stated on their website. And how are you meant to phone when they won't answer the phone!

Advertisement