Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of adding a room

Options
  • 17-02-2019 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

I'll give as much information as I can, looking for an idea of the cost, thanks.

4 bed semi, patio doors at the rear that lead directly onto a decking area, this area is mostly shaded so really it's a wasted unused space, the Mrs wants to remove the patio doors & add on another room

The size of the room will be 240 sq ft / 22 sq metres approx

We want to keep the overall height down as much as possible as 1) it's going to be right beside the neighbours & 2) we get good sun from the west in the rest of the garden & don't want to affect that.
    The rear garden faces north(ish)

We are considering a couple of steps down into this new room to keep the height of extension down.

Thinking of a roof with a mild enough pitch with a couple of large triple glazed velux windows facing west

Heat wise, considering a multifuel stove only so no plumbing works

Electrically all we need is maybe 4 double sockets, TV point & lighting, I think the easiest way to do this is to run cables externally from the existing consumer unit outside in a conduit to the new room, we want to avoid ripping up floorboards upstairs

Windows & doors facing the rest of the garden (east), considering triple glazing this whole side

I assume we need planning permission?

Traditional or timber frame pros / cons?

If anybody has any ideas as regards the cost of the above or any thoughts generally, I'd appreciate it

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

22 Sq. M extension with possible step down and associated engineering and Damo proofing etc

40k give or take depending on spec of windows, doors, finish, glazing and roof/ceiling design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for that,

Does an extension this size at the rear of a house need planning permission?

Thanks for your time kceire

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for that,

Does an extension this size at the rear of a house need planning permission?

Thanks for your time kceire

Depends on the planning status of the existing house.
    Do you have any other extensions?
    Does the parent planning de-exempt the exemptions etc

Best to have a planning agent visit the site.

Advertisement