Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished with xbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Bloodborne was my favorite Sony exclusive this generation. I don't really like Spiderman so wasn't interested, had Good of War for a little while and I enjoyed it. Horizon Zero Dawn was very good as well but I found the voice acting quite poor. I can't remember any other exclusive to be honest that caught my attention. Days Gone looked good but that seems to have had much less publicity than all the rest.

For Xbox, I loved Sunset Overdrive, Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest. But I've used my Xbox for all the multi platform games because that's where a decent group of friends play.

The Switch has been a great buy for me. I've had BOTW, Octopath Traveller, Odyssey, MK8 and now Smash.

So for every console people will find something they enjoy.

I actually bought my PS4 last September for Spiderman and it was grand but its basically a Spiderman reskin of the Batman games as far as combat goes and its got old quick enough and I'm a huge Spiderman fan. As soon as I got to the end of it I was done.

I got a Switch before Christmas and I'm loving it so far, can't believe it took me so long to come round to getting one. I do think that if the likes of Bayonetta 3 was being developed as a PS4 exclusive you would be hearing a hell of a lot more about it cos that's their schtick.

Like you said all the platforms have their strengths. Got the PS4 for exclusives mainly but I'm discovering a whole new world of JRPG's that don't see the light of day on the Xbox. If I think that I'd enjoy a game more in handheld I get it on the Switch and there is all those sweet Nintendo first party titles; and when the likes of RDR2 come out I'm 100% getting it on the One X.

It is hard to see MS catching up on the exclusive front alone though given the install base Sony have. If they are trying to convince people to go with Xbox next gen then its now they need to be coming out with some new IP that restore faith cos given the performance this gen it doesn't exactly inspire confidence for people on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Gamepass,ea access, free games every month, better hardware, stable network
    Byeee

This x 1000%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

skerry wrote: »
    I actually bought my PS4 last September for Spiderman and it was grand but its basically a Spiderman reskin of the Batman games as far as combat goes and its got old quick enough and I'm a huge Spiderman fan. As soon as I got to the end of it I was done.

I got a Switch before Christmas and I'm loving it so far, can't believe it took me so long to come round to getting one. I do think that if the likes of Bayonetta 3 was being developed as a PS4 exclusive you would be hearing a hell of a lot more about it cos that's their schtick.

Like you said all the platforms have their strengths. Got the PS4 for exclusives mainly but I'm discovering a whole new world of JRPG's that don't see the light of day on the Xbox. If I think that I'd enjoy a game more in handheld I get it on the Switch and there is all those sweet Nintendo first party titles; and when the likes of RDR2 come out I'm 100% getting it on the One X.

It is hard to see MS catching up on the exclusive front alone though given the install base Sony have. If they are trying to convince people to go with Xbox next gen then its now they need to be coming out with some new IP that restore faith cos given the performance this gen it doesn't exactly inspire confidence for people on the fence.

It's a long process but they already set the gears in motion. I think they have 10 different exclusive studious in place now that they setup in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's stable in that it's never been down for me, but speeds are glacial. No experience of Sony in comparison.

for me its a 3gb download in 3 minutes

kettle takes longer to boil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Akrasia wrote: »
    for me its a 3gb download in 3 minutes

kettle takes longer to boil.

For me I'd heat the water in the sun quicker. I've packed it away to clear space on the desk since anyway. Only device in the house that was slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've never had any issue with speeds on Xbox network either. Definitely faster for me than PS Network to be fair, but both are generally fine. I would say if you had consistent problems with the Xbox, it was probably a simple fix and was nothing to do with the actual MS servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've never had any issue with speeds on Xbox network either. Definitely faster for me than PS Network to be fair, but both are generally fine. I would say if you had consistent problems with the Xbox, it was probably a simple fix and was nothing to do with the actual MS servers.

I'd be more inclined to think it was dodgy hardware that slipped through QC on my unit. Was slightly better wired but still poor (and wired wasn't an option anyway, it wasn't going in the living room).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Top 4 were all multi platform games according to NPD. But I think this list must be for American sales only though :confused:

1. RDR2
    2. BLOPS4
    3. NBA 2K19
    4. Madden 19
    5. Smash Bros (Launched in December)
    6. Spiderman
    7. Far Cry 5
    8. God Of War
    9. Monster Hunter
    10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

So of the top 10, three are exclusives.

11. GTAV
    12. Mario Kart 8
    13. FIFA 19
    14. Battlefield V
    15. Super Mario Odyssey
    16. COD WW2
    17. Dragon Ball Fighter Z
    18. BOTW
    19. Super Mario Party
    20. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu.

Of the next 10, five are platform exclusives. Like I said, the big multi platform games are what matter to most people, and the exclusives are the bonus on top.

Also I'm quite surprised at the ranking of some of the Switch games. BOTW, Odyssey and MK8 we're all released in 2017 but all feature in the Top 20 for 2018.

Smash Bros Ultimate was available for a month and has had phenomenal sales figures.

When looking at exclusives though it'd be interesting to see the attach rate of a game to the console though. That would probably tell me than simple sales figures.

The thing with Nintendo is that they have a small number of very good 'must have' games.
    Almost every switch owner will have Mario kart (for example)
    Nintendo games are almost a genre in themselves. If you have a switch, you're going to like nintendo games.

For the other platforms, there are much more diverse user bases, with people who like racing games, FPS, RPGs etc
    The fact that Nintendo is very regularly excluded from the releases of big multi platform games also affects their rankings on those lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Akrasia wrote: »
    The thing with Nintendo is that they have a small number of very good 'must have' games.
    Almost every switch owner will have Mario kart (for example)
    Nintendo games are almost a genre in themselves. If you have a switch, you're going to like nintendo games.

For the other platforms, there are much more diverse user bases, with people who like racing games, FPS, RPGs etc
    The fact that Nintendo is very regularly excluded from the releases of big multi platform games also affects their rankings on those lists.

I am most likely that one a-hole, who buys switch and skips pretty much all of Nintendo first party games and plays other stuff.
    The only game I actually finished from Nintendo was New Zelda. Bought Mario Rabbitz ( not pure Nintendo game ) 2 weeks ago, played it for a bit and never came back to it. Brother in law sorted me out with a code for Diablo 3 code on switch same day too. 30h later it's the only thing I play, Xbox wasn't even turned on for about a week now. :D I own Diablo 3 on 3 platforms ( was 4 ) now and switch is my favorite version.

It's clear now Xbox no longer want to compete with PS in the traditional console generation game. It's all about game pass and making Xbox available.to everyone on every platform. I can't see Sony competing with that they will need a decade to build up the infrastructure.

But I also don't think they will need to compete with it. They will keep churning out Playstations and people will keep buying them. But alot of these gamers will also subscribe to game pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's clear now Xbox no longer want to compete with PS in the traditional console generation game. It's all about game pass and making Xbox available.to everyone on every platform. I can't see Sony competing with that they will need a decade to build up the infrastructure.

But I also don't think they will need to compete with it. They will keep churning out Playstations and people will keep buying them. But alot of these gamers will also subscribe to game pass.

If Xbox didn't want to compete on games they wouldn't have purchased all those studios over the last 18 months.

The problem was the strategy for the console was wrong at the start. It's to late now but hopefully some of these new studios have new games for the next console.

If Xbox didn't want to compete on games they wouldn't have purchased all those studios over the last 18 months.

The problem was the strategy for the console was wrong at the start. It's to late now but hopefully some of these new studios have new games for the next console.
    Yes of course games, but not hardware. Hardware is being replaced with ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think the next 12 months are going to be very interesting, As a consumer, its been great in many ways to see microsoft get their nose bloodied this generation. You'd have to imagine they're going to come out swinging at E3 this year now that they essentially have the show to themselves. If they get the next gen of consoles out ahead of Sony, at the right price point, coupled with the rumors of having game pass coming to Switch consoles, its going to make for a very compelling argument for anyone on the fence about getting into the ecosystem.

All about exclusives to me. PS has the one's i want so that's why i have a PS4. Nothing has done it for me on Xbox since the Halo franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Sony - woeful download speeds plus poorer online service than MS.
    Good selection of first party games which are killing MS

Microsoft
    Best platform by far, fast game downloads.
    Poor first party games

Nintendo
    Poor platform and online experience
    Good First party games
    Poor 3rd party support.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Sony - woeful download speeds plus poorer online service than MS.
    Good selection of first party games which are killing MS

Microsoft
    Best platform by far, fast game downloads.
    Poor first party games

Nintendo
    Poor platform and online experience
    Good First party games
    Poor 3rd party support.

Would agree on the first 2 but have to disagree on the Nintendo bit. Switch is an excellent platform. Doesn't do the 4k thing, but its not trying to and that's not its gig. Have all 3 platforms and got the Switch last and its probably my favorite. So much versatility and the hardware is spot on for its intended use.

Nintendo first party titles are great, and as good as if not better than Sony exclusives. Just have a look at any top 20 GOTY lists and more often than not you'll find more Switch games there than anything else.

Third party support is great too. Loads of great titles out there from indie titles right through to the likes of Wolfenstein, Diablo and Skyrim. What type of titles are you hoping to see on there from third parties?

Online service leaves a lot to be desired in terms of added functionality but I've never had drop outs or lags playing online on a pretty bog standard internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Whilst the portability is great they rarly get any of the 3rd party games that the others get. Division, Far Cry, Call of Duty, GTA5, Red Dead etc etc.
    As it is portable I can see why they had to use cartridge but imagine if Switch had its first party games along with all the support from ubisoft EA etc like the others have. It would be a far better console offering imo. As an entertainment console they are way off but i know thats not what they are going for, i still think they are years behind that aspect.
    skerry wrote: »
    Would agree on the first 2 but have to disagree on the Nintendo bit. Switch is an excellent platform. Doesn't do the 4k thing, but its not trying to and that's not its gig. Have all 3 platforms and got the Switch last and its probably my favorite. So much versatility and the hardware is spot on for its intended use.

Nintendo first party titles are great, and as good as if not better than Sony exclusives. Just have a look at any top 20 GOTY lists and more often than not you'll find more Switch games there than anything else.

Third party support is great too. Loads of great titles out there from indie titles right through to the likes of Wolfenstein, Diablo and Skyrim. What type of titles are you hoping to see on there from third parties?

Online service leaves a lot to be desired in terms of added functionality but I've never had drop outs or lags playing online on a pretty bog standard internet connection.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Whilst the portability is great they rarly get any of the 3rd party games that the others get. Division, Far Cry, Call of Duty, GTA5, Red Dead etc etc.
    As it is portable I can see why they had to use cartridge but imagine if Switch had its first party games along with all the support from ubisoft EA etc like the others have. It would be a far better console offering imo. As an entertainment console they are way off but i know thats not what they are going for, i still think they are years behind that aspect.

That's based on the presumption that AAA games like Far Cry, CoD and Red Dead are all that people want to play. If someone is looking to play those games then the Switch is 100% not the console for them, but that doesn't mean it's not at the races.

Advertisement