Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got offered a job I applied for, been trained up for a complete different position

Options
  • 17-02-2019 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I applied for a security job with a security company a few months back and they were offering more money and more hours.
    I had two interviews, one with the security company themselves and another interview with the client.
    In the client interview I was told that I would be covering the lady who is front of house(receptionist) while she is on maternity leave, the interviewer said this position "pays more" but never disclosed the actually rate.
    I agreed as I have front of house experience so it wouldn't be new to me.
    On Monday last I started my front of house/security training, I.e, getting the hang of the new systems and familiarising myself with the building etc...
    All was going well, really well, too well if you ask me, something told me this is too good to be true but I went along with it.
    I asked the lady who I'll be covering while on maternity leave if she wouldnt mind telling me what her rate of pay is as I haven't had confirmation, she told me 14.50ph.
    I then emailed the girl who I had the interview with in the security company about my rate of pay, She said my rate is 11.35 + 1.50 site allowance. 13.85 altogether.
    Surely this isn't right ? So I went to the supervisor and asked about this, he basically said keep mouth shut and leave it for a few months, which I didn't appreciate.

Moral of the story:

Applied for a security position (48hrs PW @12.50ph)

Get accepted but put into a complete different position (40hrs PW @ 12.85ph)

The lady going on maternity leave is moving from Dublin to mayo as it cheaper to rent and everyone reckons she wont be returning after her maternity leave so this is looking like a permanent position. (She's getting 40hrs @ 14.50Ph)

Getting paid less than the lady who is going on maternity and told to keep my mouth shut.

I've added it up and I'm making an extra 4 euro a week but I have to travel further so I'm really loosing money and doing 10times the amount of work I was doing in my previously job as I'm basically a PA/receptionist to the client

In the interview I was told the front of house "pays more".
    From my understanding the meaning of "pays more" is an extra few euro, not 35cent. (Security Job was advertised for 12.50ph)

I feel like I was mislead and taken advantage of.

Do I have a leg to stand on ?
    Will I get fired if I refuse to do the job for anything less than 14.50 ?
    I haven't signed a contract yet.

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Her rate is totally irrelevant.

They told you that youd be a receptionist and you accepted that, you should have talked about money at this point.

The way its panned out it seems like the client was pretty up front and told you extra work would be required. It's up to you to ask about salary so I'd be surprised if they magically bump up your wages.

The fact you haven't signed a contract is good for you. Bring the unsigned contract with you and speak to whoever is in charge and.negotaite your salary. Can walk away then if they wont match your expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 IrishGirl18

They didn't tell me I'd be a receptionist, they told me I'd be security as that's the job I applied for, not a receptionist job.
    I would cover her position until she comes back from maternity leave but it doesn't look like she's coming back afterwards, this wasn't mentioned in the first interview.
    The client interviewer said it pays more but he would have to check

They didn't tell me I'd be a receptionist, they told me I'd be security as that's the job I applied for, not a receptionist job.
    I would cover her position until she comes back from maternity leave but it doesn't look like she's coming back afterwards, this wasn't mentioned in the first interview.
    The client interviewer said it pays more but he would have to check

They did tell you, you said so in your OP.

In the client interview I was told that I would be covering the lady who is front of house(receptionist) while she is on maternity leave

At that point, if you didn't want to do the reception job you should have walked away.

kerry37 wrote: »
    They did tell you, you said so in your OP.

In the client interview I was told that I would be covering the lady who is front of house(receptionist) while she is on maternity leave

At that point, if you didn't want to do the reception job you should have walked away.

This was in the second interview, not the first interview.
    And they said it was only temporary but it's sounding full time.

This was in the second interview, not the first interview.

Yes, and you still could have walked away after the 2nd interview before accepting the job if you didn't want to do it.

You seem to be assuming an awful lot without actually asking your employer directly.

Like "your understanding" of expecting more pay. And "its sounding full time".

You just need to ask your employer these questions but it does sound like they've been pretty up front so far with telling you what the job is. It's up to you to bring up salary questions imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

but you'd only know if temp or full time after you see/sign your contract ?

- and who is to say that you're not going to get different paye if you get made permanent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Do three months show you are good at the job and ask for 14.50
    Would you like the job at that rate ?

kerry37 wrote: »
    Yes, and you still could have walked away after the 2nd interview before accepting the job if you didn't want to do it.

You seem to be assuming an awful lot without actually asking your employer directly.

Like "your understanding" of expecting more pay. And "its sounding full time".

You just need to ask your employer these questions but it does sound like they've been pretty up front so far with telling you what the job is. It's up to you to bring up salary questions imo

Where did I mention I didn't want to do this job ? I said I accepted as I already had experience in that field and didn't mind doing it.
    As its a temporary position I agreed but under no circumstances am I doing that job and be paid even less than the previous person as there's a lot of work involved and it not worth it for an extra 35cent.
    When I asked my employer I was told to keep my mouth shut, that's why I'm writing on boards and in the interview they said they would find out the exact wage of the front of house as they werent sure but never did until I started to ask questions.

I appreciate that you replied but please don't reply if your just going to argue with everything I'm saying. Move on to another post if this one if this one is bothering you.

mvl wrote: »
    but you'd only know if temp or full time after you see/sign your contract ?

- and who is to say that you're not going to get different paye if you get made permanent ?

The security position I applied for is full time (it was on the job application when I applied, whole reason I applied as it was 48 hours a week)
    The position they want me to cover is only until maternity leave ends, about 6 months or so.

Do three months show you are good at the job and ask for 14.50
    Would you like the job at that rate ?

Thank you.
    If they had told me this in the interview I wouldn't of minded at all but they didn't. Instead I was told to keep my mouth shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All of this only seems to have been a problem when you heard her rate.

You seemed delighted with the job and the role right up till you asked her rate.

That's the only thing that changed. you literally covered all this in your opening post.

listermint wrote: »
    All of this only seems to have been a problem when you heard her rate.

You seemed delighted with the job and the role right up till you asked her rate.

That's the only thing that changed. you literally covered all this in your opening post.

Yes because before I asked her I knew that been front of house for such a world wide known company would have to be at least 15ph, ask any receptionist that question. Every receptionist I've spoken too is getting minimum 15 and their not working for big companies.
    I was delighted until I figured out I'm actually loosing money every week rather than gaining. I was doing 45 hours PW in my old job and only 40hrs for the tempory position

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes because before I asked her I knew that been front of house for such a world wide known company would have to be at least 15ph, ask any receptionist that question. Every receptionist I've spoken too is getting minimum 15 and their not working for big companies.
    I was delighted until I figured out I'm actually loosing money every week rather than gaining. I was doing 45 hours PW in my old job and only 40hrs for the tempory position

Let's not split hairs here.

You didn't have a breeze how much that rate was until you spoke to her. Now you've spoken to other people to reaffirm what you now think is the new norm.

Your choice is to take the job.

Or

Leave and don't take it. Your not in any position to ask for that rate your are only in the door and only being trained.

And your comparing front door security to receptionist roles which usually have to do office management and some accounts work. It's simply not comparible

Where did I mention I didn't want to do this job ? I said I accepted as I already had experience in that field and didn't mind doing it.
    As its a temporary position I agreed but under no circumstances am I doing that job and be paid even less than the previous person as there's a lot of work involved and it not worth it for an extra 35cent.
    When I asked my employer I was told to keep my mouth shut, that's why I'm writing on boards and in the interview they said they would find out the exact wage of the front of house as they werent sure but never did until I started to ask questions.

I appreciate that you replied but please don't reply if your just going to argue with everything I'm saying. Move on to another post if this one if this one is bothering you.

Tbf, when you're here complaining it would seem like you dont want to do it so I must have picked that up wrong..

The fact is, they told you what job youd be doing, it's up to you to bring up salary negotiations as the company will always pay the minimum they can get away with.

Also, as mentioned above, you're a trainee in this company (regardless of experience elsewhere) so looking for the same rate as a person that's probably there a long time is never going to happen.

And it's not bothering me, I'm not that sensitive lol. But you do seem a bit all over the place with regards details of the job/situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Her pay is irrelevant and it was kinda rude to ask her how can you expect her rate each employee has a different set of skills experience etc.

And woah where can i get a receptionist job for 14.50 per hour!

You have no leg to stand on. Try negotiate and if they wont then just leave the job off i guess and ask next time to avoid this happening again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Seems the confusion lies between what your employer (the company) told you and what the (their) client said to you. It is possible reception was done in house until the security company took it over perhaps the difference in pay. What the client said to you isn't binding, the security company are your employer and you really need to discuss directly with them, they can't just tell you to keep quiet. Something odd about that..

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I had a similar enough situation, talk to your employer (not the client), explain the role you applied for had more hours meaning more pay and ask if they can make up the difference before you sign the contract.

I went in with the same attitude and in the end they added a few hours and small hourly increase to make it up. Explain you liked the idea of the permanent security role and if this has any opportunity to be made permanent (showing you see a future there). This will usually help the negotiating.

If this doesn't work and you aren't happy just say you can't accept it at that rate and tell them how much you would accept and leave the ball in their court. If it's an outside agency they will probably move on to the next candidate but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP stay or go.

your not an indentured servant.

Advertisement