Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 charger question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

a148pro wrote: »
    On the assumption I can charge it through my laptop is there any way around this? Really something like this should only cost a tenner

Hahaha, no. This is Shimano. You're meant to bend over and take it. Be glad you don't need the diagnostics box, thats €200.

The one you linked is just micro USB, a "phone charger". You can plug that into a laptop or any 5V usb source and away you go. The brick that talks to the Di2 controller is Shimano proprietary and a must have. Its one saving grace is it will also allow firmware updates and some basic health check info so its not *just* a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

So basically I need to buy the one I linked to and a wire that will connect it to a laptop or a wire with a plug to go into the wall?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yes, buy the one you linked to (or search for it by Shimano model number - it's the SM-BCR2 - to see if that's the best price out there), and you'll also need a USB micro cable (same as most Android phones, loads of USB rechargeable bike lights, etc) and a 5v USB power source (phone charger etc).
    As mentioned, you can also connect the SM-BCR2 to a Windows laptop and use the free Shimano E-Tube software to update and configure your Di2 setup.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

If it has an internal seat post mounted battery I would be inclined to remove that and check terminals for corrosion. Recently had to do the same and needed a new battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The best thing about Di2 is the battery life. You will only need to charge it a few times a year. It’s the polar opposite to an iPhone battery!

• Advertisement

Yeah I haven't charged it since purchase in august and its still showing full, albeit I haven't been out much

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

a148pro wrote: »
    So basically I need to buy the one I linked to and a wire that will connect it to a laptop or a wire with a plug to go into the wall?

Thanks

any micro USB to USB cable will work.

For anyone reading this page in the future I managed to get one through wiggle for €69 delivered, which I assume will do the job will post if it doesn't

Advertisement