Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York first time

• 17-02-2019 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Off to NYC in March, just wondering what is the subway like to use. Is it safe. Have used the underground in London and felt safe as house. But used the metro in Paris and felt a little on edge on a few occasions (like being watched, just didn't feel safe).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Hey all.

Off to NYC in March, just wondering what is the subway like to use. Is it safe. Have used the underground in London and felt safe as house. But used the metro in Paris and felt a little on edge on a few occasions (like being watched, just didn't feel safe).

Very safe indeed. Was there last year with kids, never felt uneasy in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

We go to New York a lot. Use the subway and public transport in general when there. We don't tend to use the subway at night. Usually hop in taxi when in Manhattan at night. Never encountered trouble in all our time on the subway in NYC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Download the UBER app and use it instead of a taxi. Far cheaper and cleaner.

Subway is fine at all times of the day or night. Regular police patrols.

Spend some time on times square and just watch every slice of human life pass you by.

If you are planning visiting the WTC or statue of liberty you want to be there early as lines get long really quickly.

Staten Island Ferry - The Ferry operates between the St. George Ferry Terminal on Staten Island and the Whitehall Terminal in Lower Manhattan. The trip is about 25 minutes long. The Ferry is free. The St. George Terminal is located at 1 Bay Street, Staten Island.

https://www.nywatertaxi.com

This is pretty good too and they go around Liberty island. You will get the pictures, and then it goes to Brooklyn before going uptown as far as the USS Intrepid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Download the UBER app and use it instead of a taxi. Far cheaper and cleaner.

Subway is fine at all times of the day or night. Regular police patrols.

Spend some time on times square and just watch every slice of human life pass you by.

If you are planning visiting the WTC or statue of liberty you want to be there early as lines get long really quickly.

Staten Island Ferry - The Ferry operates between the St. George Ferry Terminal on Staten Island and the Whitehall Terminal in Lower Manhattan. The trip is about 25 minutes long. The Ferry is free. The St. George Terminal is located at 1 Bay Street, Staten Island.

https://www.nywatertaxi.com

This is pretty good too and they go around Liberty island. You will get the pictures, and then it goes to Brooklyn before going uptown as far as the USS Intrepid.

+1 on the Staten island ferry. Also, do one of the open top bus tours, great way to see the city. I'd say do it early in your trip, it'll give you an idea of the layout of the city, you can revisit areas you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

+1 on the Staten island ferry. Also, do one of the open top bus tours, great way to see the city. I'd say do it early in your trip, it'll give you an idea of the layout of the city, you can revisit areas you like.

+1 on the bus tour. NY has actually loads and its the best way to see as much as you can in a short space of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Have the bus tour booked for 3 days. Just trying to map out our first few days. Grouping things together to be as efficient with our time.

Need to find the ghostbuster's firehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Have the bus tour booked for 3 days. Just trying to map out our first few days. Grouping things together to be as efficient with our time.

Need to find the ghostbuster's firehouse

OK.

I personally wouldn't 'waste' 3 days on the bus tour, but if you've done the homework and want to, then work ahead. Personally, I'd pick out a number of places to go to, and go directly there. The tour bus is handy to gain an overview, but I wouldn't use it for day to day transport. Be wart of long waits for the tour bus(the hop on/hop off) , for instance we had an almost 1 hour wait for a bus to come to battery park. Its grand, we were in no panic, but if you're using it to get around and are waiting a few times in a day, I'd be getting piased off.
    Enjoy.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Sticky required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In the process of booking a week in NYC with the GF in May. Will go the Norwegian Air into Steward route as accommodation will be provided for by my brother. Will be my first time in NY since the summer of 2002.

Just wondering how possible it will be to "budget" for a week's stay? Any sights worth seeing on the cheap? I've checked the prices of some places, like Empire State and Rockefeller and some of the more renowned museums, and they seem extortionate compared to the likes of London. Obviously seems to be a case of picking and choosing wisely.

We would happily while away a day or two just walking around Central Park/Times Sq etc, but hoping to get as much bang for our buck as possible without breaking the bank. Food hopefully won't be an issue as happy enough to have pizza on the go/deli sandwiches etc to keep us ticking over before dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Check out the New York Pass, if you are going to 3 or more attractions a day over 3 days it will save you money.
    https://www.newyorkpass.com/new-york-pass-prices.php

I've also read that some of the muesums/galleries that tourist agencys sell $30 tickets for don't actually need a ticket, just a donation which could be $5 or $10. Not sure which ones but check their websites directly yourself before paying out for tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

In the process of booking a week in NYC with the GF in May. Will go the Norwegian Air into Steward route as accommodation will be provided for by my brother. Will be my first time in NY since the summer of 2002.

Just wondering how possible it will be to "budget" for a week's stay? Any sights worth seeing on the cheap? I've checked the prices of some places, like Empire State and Rockefeller and some of the more renowned museums, and they seem extortionate compared to the likes of London. Obviously seems to be a case of picking and choosing wisely.

We would happily while away a day or two just walking around Central Park/Times Sq etc, but hoping to get as much bang for our buck as possible without breaking the bank. Food hopefully won't be an issue as happy enough to have pizza on the go/deli sandwiches etc to keep us ticking over before dinner!

Would most def do the top view tour its a hop on hop off bus i done it in sept got a 2 day pass for 49 dollars each. Got a free liberity cruise and a 2 hr bike ride in central park. During the day does 2 ways down the bronx etc and then goes upper manhatten to 9-11 memorial etc stops off along the way. The night tour i done we drove on brooklyn bridge it was amazing at night and done a totally different route to the day i used this solid for my 3 days was so handy and for $49 got to see alot and it runs late at night too

Advertisement