Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reduction in price after survey

Options
  • 17-02-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

We awaiting a survey of a house we’ve gone sale agreed on. I just noticed on the last viewing that the gutters need to be replaced. There may be other issues that aren’t apparent yet that come up after. Full survey. Just wondering if anyone has managed to secure a discount if problems were flagged by a surveyor. tIA

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hungrypig wrote: »
    We awaiting a survey of a house we’ve gone sale agreed on. I just noticed on the last viewing that the gutters need to be replaced. There may be other issues that aren’t apparent yet that come up after. Full survey. Just wondering if anyone has managed to secure a discount if problems were flagged by a surveyor. tIA

For something like this I wouldnt think so. If it was there to see your offer should have been based on this.

If however you found asbestos you'd have a better chance as this isn't something obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

Thanks godtabh, gutters just an example. It’s a 50 year old house so not sure what will come up including roof ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

If the survey finds something that wouldn't be obvious to a layman then it's fair game to try and renegotiate but for something you should be expected to pick up at the viewings, I wouldn't expect the sellers to play ball. In the current market, tread carefully as the sellers can just go to the next bidder if they think you're hasske

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If I was buying a 50 year old house, I think I’d expect the survey to detail a few issues such as guttering. You have to accept that after 50 years, some renovations are going to be necessary. When you viewed it and bid on it, I assume it was obvious that this is a house that has been there for some time? So, I doubt they will reduce it because the guttering needs to be replaced, that may be just one of many things that needs to be updated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

After a surveyors report saying it'd take 100k to rennovate, I asked for a 60k reduction (dropping to original asking price). The banks selling (three of them, property is in receivership) they agreed to a 3k reduction... walked away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

We renegotiated selling price in addition to vendors paying the full cost of things that needed to be fixed - even though none of the issues were of major significance.

We just got very very lucky I think, however if you don’t ask you won’t know :)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Goose76 wrote: »
    We renegotiated selling price in addition to vendors paying the full cost of things that needed to be fixed - even though none of the issues were of major significance.

We just got very very lucky I think, however if you don’t ask you won’t know :)

Best of luck.

A lot depends on the market sentiment and price achieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

We were quoted 20k for roof repairs, asked politely for 15k off. They refused. We walked (7 months ago). Same house is still on the market now re-listed for 50k less than our offer. Just the luck of the draw as to whether or not they'll renegotiate. They may regret not doing so as in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

If the survey find something that not discernable to the naked eye and poses a serious issue then you certainly can. Nothing stopping the sellers telling you to get on your bike and go through if they want and especially if they have a few underbidding though.

Claiming a discount for wear and tear items you can see from the viewing(i.e the gutters) or obvious repair items from the age of the house would expected to be reflected in your initial offer though.

Advertisement