Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche closed next week

Options
  • 17-02-2019 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

My son goes to a creche but they are closed next week in line with (most) schools' mid term break. So, surely the creche won't be expecting payment? I pay weekly. I understand still charging for Bank Holidays and such but this is paid childcare, not ECCE so I don't know if they can still charge €80 when they are not taking children in. I'd appreciate if someone with a bit more experience/ knowledge could either confirm or set me straight. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

Check what it says in the creche handbook or agreement that you signed when your child joined.

Usually, the business calculates payments on the weekly fee for your child’s guaranteed place in the crèche which includes rent, insurance wages etc. (and whether your child was there or not) as well as closures and public holidays.

From memory – I think it depends on how the crèche spread out the cost of the fees over the year to cover closures. I used to pay for 51 weeks and the Christmas closure was ‘free’ but in reality the cost was just spread over the year. Closures were always explained and announced well in advance as were payment reminders.

While a Christmas closure would be expected, I have never had a crèche close for mid-terms as most parents were working and there would have been uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yes, I think it's a bit unusual. I have a child in primary school and their school is not closing for the week. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I had to pay creche fees when it was closed over Xmas.

But that was 18 years ago.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Same here, but that's usually over Christmas for us. Should be agreed upon before child starts. Anything written down?

I did pay over Christmas and that was two weeks but this is the first time they've closed without it being something like a Bank Holiday ie, they've decided to not be open. I don't have any written confirmation :O My husband is definitely on the 'we shouldn't have to pay' side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

I did pay over Christmas and that was two weeks but this is the first time they've closed without it being something like a Bank Holiday ie, they've decided to not be open. I don't have any written confirmation :O My husband is definitely on the 'we shouldn't have to pay' side!

Did you ask them?

Not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Is it a community crèche? Mine was and closed for two weeks in August and we didn’t pay.

It is a community creche, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭shane b

Bit unusual for the creche to close for mid term. As far as i know my local community creche doesn't take school holidays. Regarding payment we had to pay whether creche was open or closed a bit like rent whether your there or not.
    I'm curious the 80 euro is that for 3 days a week or is it substitised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sounds strange, if they are normally open for holidays but not this one for some reason then I would think it’s harsh to be expected to pay. Usually your told in advance of the year when they are closing. Most crèches this would mean all the bank holidays and a Christmas break. If your doing sessional generally it follows local school holidays

My community crèche if they closed we didn’t pay - if we didn’t attend but it was open you payed

It didn’t closed for mid terns etc though

It seems like every creche has different rules! That's why I wanted to ask so thanks for all answers.

Shane B, the €80 is for 16 hours a week, four hours a day for four days.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've never paid a creche on a day they chose to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭shane b

@misty cheese. Ah ok. Interesting that they do an hourly or half day rate. Ours was either 3 days or 5 days all full days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

shane b wrote: »
    @misty cheese. Ah ok. Interesting that they do an hourly or half day rate. Ours was either 3 days or 5 days all full days.

I think the OP said it’s a community crèche which would be different to a privately run one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How could anybody here tell you if your creche charges you for weeks when it's closed? This might be a mental suggestion, but have you tried asking the creche maybe? The mind boggles...

They're closed hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

They're closed hun.

Are they actually looking for payment or are you just assuming they will? IMO, if they choose to close then they don't get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Ours is community. Its not closed for mid term but when do they close say for like Christmas we still pay the full month to secure placement but it works out a bit cheaper too because we'd pay more over a year if it was weekly.

Davo, no they haven't outright asked for payment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Ours closed for 2 weeks during the summer and we pay. they pro rato the payment over 52 weeks

it will be explained on your fees policy

Advertisement