Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheezing because of vaping?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭

Vaping seems to be causing me to wheeze. I mostly use sandman banana ice 3-12 mg or mr chilly at about 6mg.

I find that I'm wheezing alot when i vape and coughing alot after first couple of pulls. Also i find I'm out of breath a lot quicker when excercising. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Only time i'd wheeze while smoking was lying in bed.

Of the smokes about 3 weeks this time but had happened last time i gave up too and was off them about 3 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Flavoured vape have been linked to Popcorn lung, I'd go check it with a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

After 3 weeks the coil/filter probably needs changing and is burnt out causing those effects. You have to change it every 2 weeks, or less if it burns out quicker by you letting it run dry. I found it a pain and after a while gave up altogether because of this.
    Found the vape a great stepping stone to going cold turkey after a couple of months on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

Flavoured vape have been linked to Popcorn lung, I'd go check it with a doctor.

Might have to :( is there any particular ingredient that i can avoid in the flavoured liquids?

Ya i change the coil once every week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Guffy wrote: »
    Vaping seems to be causing me to wheeze. I mostly use sandman banana ice 3-12 mg or mr chilly at about 6mg.

I find that I'm wheezing alot when i vape and coughing alot after first couple of pulls. Also i find I'm out of breath a lot quicker when excercising. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Only time i'd wheeze while smoking was lying in bed.

Of the smokes about 3 weeks this time but had happened last time i gave up too and was off them about 3 months.

Firstly there is no evidence to suggest that vaping causes popcorn lung,this is according to cancer research uk
    https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/cancer-controversies/does-vaping-cause-popcorn-lung
    After switching from smoking to vaping it's going to take time for your body, especially your lungs, to adjust to this change. After all you are reducing the amount of harmful ingredients in cigarette smoke by thousands when you switch to vaping.
    Your lungs, sinuses etc will take time to rid themselves of the harm done by smoking, this can mean a loosening of phlegm etc and therefore cause a wheeze,runny nose,cough.
    This usually passes in time and you will begin to feel the benefits of being a non smoker.
    The ingredients in ejuice can also cause a reaction, usually from the PG ingredient but this is normally visible as a rash or very dry lips and can be remedied by changing ingredients.
    Of course nothing other than fresh air going into your lungs could be regarded as healthy but the fact that your on the road to stopping smoking is a positive.
    By all means check with your GP and get as much information as possible from him/her and if you do decide to give vaping a go then you'll get all the help, support etc here.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

I have vaped for long periods before but this is the first time I've done so with no cigarettes.

Previously i would have gone from 20 a day to 20 a week while vaping but now im on 0 cigarettes. The wheezing thing alway seemed amplified when vaping but i always put it down to lungs clearing out.

I'll carry on for another couple of weeks in the hope that it clears up.

Tbh I always thought the popcorn lung was hyperbole anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Phill_M

Guffy wrote: »
    I have vaped for long periods before but this is the first time I've done so with no cigarettes.

Previously i would have gone from 20 a day to 20 a week while vaping but now im on 0 cigarettes. The wheezing thing alway seemed amplified when vaping but i always put it down to lungs clearing out.

I'll carry on for another couple of weeks in the hope that it clears up.

Tbh I always thought the popcorn lung was hyperbole anyway.

The whole popcorn lung thing is only scaremongering. The same chemicals that cause it are found it cigarettes too and no smokers or vapers have been diagnosed with it, as far as I know only workers from a popcorn factory that dealt with huge amounts of artificial butter flavouring for 40 hours a week have actually been diagnosed with it.

Could be an unrelated health issue such as a cold, cough or allergies. Obviously we should all go to the doctor when we get any undesirable symptoms of anything but most of us are stubborn sods. But I wouldn't worry too much.

It definitely could be the chest clearing out from quitting smoking, but if it persists then maybe try a different brand\flavour, max VG eliquid or see if it's more prevalent with mouth-to-lung setups or direct lung setups.

With a bit of tinkering you should be able to find something that suits you, try to note what you're using when the symptoms get worse or better.

I wouldn't ignore a lung problem the quicker you deal with it the better. Get proper medical advice. Some chap on the internet saying it's only scaremongering is ignoring all emerging research. We know for a fact diacetyl causes popcorn lung and we know it's used in vape flavouring.

Giving up smoking doesn't cause wheezing and shortness of breath. It's the opposite. Get yourself checked out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I wouldn't ignore a lung problem the quicker you deal with it the better. Get proper medical advice. Some chap on the internet saying it's only scaremongering is ignoring all emerging research. We know for a fact diacetyl causes popcorn lung and we know it's used in vape flavouring.

No-one is suggesting that a lung problem be ignored,in fact the opposite, most definitely OP get yourself checked out by your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Giving up smoking doesn't cause wheezing and shortness of breath. It's the opposite. Get yourself checked out asap.

Can you link me to any of this emerging research ?

Taken from the Link provided by Dr. Bill, which was last reviewed on
    Does vaping cause popcorn lung?

No. There’s no good evidence that e-cigarettes could cause the lung condition called popcorn lung. There’s been no cases of popcorn lung reported in people who use e-cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

I get that wheezing also, most notably when laying down. My checkup was clear and given a good bill of health. I would bet it is vaping related as I didn't have the issue before and if I vape heavy late at night I do notice the wheezing increases.

I kinda want to say it happened around the time I started vaping custard like juice, but I have no idea if it is related.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    Can you link me to any of this emerging research ?

Taken from the Link provided by Dr. Bill, which was last reviewed on

To assume vaping is risk free and that there can be no harm done to your lungs is naive. They haven't been around long enough to know the full extent of the long term effects.
    Op is wheezing and shorty of breath that needs to be thoroughly investigated. Holding on a few weeks to see does it get better is foolish, it may be something small but should be checked out straight away as when your lungs stop it's game over, there's a serious danger in letting the problem drift a few weeks.

"The chemicals found in e-cigarette liquid, known as "e-juice," may be a potential cause of popcorn lung. According to the American Lung Association, using electronic cigarettes or vaping, particularly the flavored varieties, can cause popcorn lung. ... However, e-cigarette vapor has been proven to contain diacetyl."

Considering the time of year i'd guess pleurisy but he hasn't said he's in any pain so could be a simple chest infection that cold get a lot worse if not treated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

To assume vaping is risk free and that there can be no harm done to your lungs is naive.

Who is assuming this ?

They haven't been around long enough to know the full extent of the long term effects.

Hard to argue that one except to say that the current thinking is it definitely won't be anywhere near cigarettes
    Op is wheezing and shorty of breath that needs to be thoroughly investigated. Holding on a few weeks to see does it get better is foolish, it may be something small but should be checked out straight away as when your lungs stop it's game over, there's a serious danger in letting the problem drift a few weeks.

I don't think that you will find anyone here that will argue against that

"The chemicals found in e-cigarette liquid, known as "e-juice," may be a potential cause of popcorn lung. According to the American Lung Association, using electronic cigarettes or vaping, particularly the flavored varieties, can cause popcorn lung. ... However, e-cigarette vapor has been proven to contain diacetyl."

You clearly didn't read that link from above .

What does the evidence really say about diacetyl and e-cigarettes?

A single study based in the US that was published in 2015 looked at whether e-cigarette liquid contained diacetyl. It found that 39 of the 51 e-liquid flavours tested contained some level of diacetyl. The idea that e-cigarettes could cause popcorn lung came from this study.

However, this study didn’t look at whether there was a link between e-cigarette use and popcorn lung in people. So far, there’s no good evidence that e-cigarettes could cause popcorn lung.

In the UK, diacetyl was banned in e-cigarette liquid under the EU Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) in 2016. So, e-liquids sold in the UK shouldn’t contain diacetyl. Current research finds that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than smoking and there’s growing evidence they may help some people to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

To assume vaping is risk free and that there can be no harm done to your lungs is naive. They haven't been around long enough to know the full extent of the long term effects.

Considering the time of year i'd guess pleurisy but he hasn't said he's in any pain so could be a simple chest infection that cold get a lot worse if not treated now.

It's fair to say that we don't have data regarding the long term effects of vaping.

However, based on studies carried out to date, empirical evidence suggests that vaping is 95% safer than smoking...

https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k5429

As for your quote that...
    The chemicals found in e-cigarette liquid, known as "e-juice," may be a potential cause of popcorn lung. According to the American Lung Association, using electronic cigarettes or vaping, particularly the flavored varieties, can cause popcorn lung. ...

I'd appreciate evidence based on controlled studies to substantiate this statement please.

You also state...
    However, e-cigarette vapor has been proven to contain diacetyl."

This was big news two years ago. Nowadays the vast majority of reputable manufacturers have their products certified as diacetyl free by independent labs. Consequently vapers can now choose whether or not to vape products containing diacetyl.

Whilst your contribution is appreciated, a little more research before commenting would be welcomed. No one who vapes wants to see themselves, or anyone else for that matter, harmed by their choice of tobacco cessation aid.

There's no disputing the fact that the OP should visit their GP to obtain an accurate diagnosis of the cause of their ailment.

However, suggesting that the OP's problem is vape related, without concrete evidence to support this supposition and more importantly, scaremongering based on out-dated information does no-one any favours.

This is particularly true when you consider those seeking (short term for most), alternatives to smoking, given the known consequences of continuing to smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

If you were on 20 a day don't expect the **** in your lungs to be cleared out until 2 or 3 months, it would normally be worst in the morning though because you have been lying down all night, I'm vaping over 5 years now and my very chronic bronchitis cleared up completely since switching to vaping, had a tiny bit of it once but didn't even need antibiotics to clear it up, I was on 30-40 a day

Advertisement