Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to change career?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Having been in the same Industry for the past 20 years, I was always very proud of my achievements and very confident in my ability.
    That changed 5 years ago, when I accepted a job offer for a job outside of my Industry, but utilising the skills I had. I don't think it went well. I was a little over my head and didn't really perform well. Although I had a great relationship with my boss, who still seeks my advice on things, I look back at that time with a little regret. In my next role, I went back to my original work place thinking this is where I belonged, only it had been taken over by new management who treated staff terribly, many left needing help with their mental health, it was that bad. I could only stick it for another year and moved to another Company within the same Industry. Here I feel the same. I feel I can't escape this environment of always being undermined, being on call 24/7 and being treated like an idiot. I am now thinking that maybe its time to get out of the Industry altogether and have a complete career change. I would be happy to take a factory job while I study but I'm stuck in the middle of being considered over qualified for every job I apply for. My anxiety levels are sky high and I can't see a way out. I can't afford to just not work! Any advice would be so welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My first piece of advice is fill your life outside work with lots of interesting stuff and people, get out and do stuff that you really enjoy. If work overwhelmes your life you will need work to validate you and current employment isn’t great for that.

If your non work time is good then you may actually have a work problem. With lots of employment possibilities at the moment start looking for a better work environment, I found that the better ones aren’t always the top paying opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The work environment, particularly the corporate work environment, has changed a lot in the past 20 years. Some are just toxic.
    Look before you leap. Only apply to companies that you know are good to work for. Often if there's redundancies, restructuring and outsourcing going on you're entering into a quagmire of stress, unhappiness and long hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I constantly read technical books, and have changed roles within my industry multiple times.

I'm in my 40s now and might change roles again. I've been in management a long time, and I think I want to go back to being an engineer. Using a different programming language and doing different tasks.

I don't think I'm too old for this. I see nothing good from thinking of things that way.

There are negatives of course - there might be a bit of a salary drop, but as long as I'm comfortable I'm fine.

Maybe you can have a similar attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Age IS just a number. Don’t let being in your 40s hold you back. If anything 40’s is the age of experience yet youthful in terms of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Never too late!
    I completely changed tack about five years ago having worked for myself for 30 years. Now working in an Operations Management role in a company in the financial industry. I've completed a Level 6, and now working towards a Level 7 and then hopefully Level 8! Really enjoying the new challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Knew someone who went to a "career" coach to figure it out. Took a while but now he's got to where he wanted to be. That might be an option. Oh and I echo the never too late line!

Anthony Bourdain went from chef to TV star in his mid 40s, right?

OMM 0000 wrote: »

Went from alive to dead in his early 60s. Not a great example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

antix80 wrote: »

Yeah maybe pick a different example for the OP.

Magnatu wrote: »
    Yeah maybe pick a different example for the OP.

His changing career and his suicide are not related.

• Advertisement

Really.. Do you think Asia Argento would have been interested if he wasn't a media star.

Hitler was an artist before he got interested in politics.

Again possibility not the best example for the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

And Jesus was a carpenter before taking up the messiah mantle. But he was in his early thirties so may not be relevant.

OP, what other interests do you have? For example, it might be too late to be a doctor or become a concert pianist, but do you like working out doors for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Depends on what you want to change your career too.

I know somebody who was a chartered accountant for 30 years and left to become a taxi Driver and has never been happier , not sure it would work as well going the other direction .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Depends on what you want to change your career too.

I know somebody who was a chartered accountant for 30 years and left to become a taxi Driver and has never been happier , not sure it would work as well going the other direction .

The above sounds more like an ease into retirement rather than a career change.

Advertisement