Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxytocin

• 18-02-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Lads, when and why do ye use Oxytocin? There seems to be a lot of conflicting advise on the net about this and would just like to hear your opinions here. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, when and why do ye use Oxytocin? There seems to be a lot of conflicting advise on the net about this and would just like to hear your opinions here. Thanks!

Used here to bring on ewes milk after lambing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

DJ98 wrote: »

So basically, a nice soft udder, just no milk coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »

We give it here for ringwomb too, inject her and leave her an hour so I don't know whether it's the injection or giving her time that helps sort the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

It will let down milk if given within first hour waste a time after that... It would also be good for ring womb as it relaxes the muscles around the utereus... That's why cows will get it after a section so they won't put out the calf bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Give them a shot of it here if they prolapse to try and stop them forcing when putting it back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    It will let down milk if given within first hour waste a time after that... It would also be good for ring womb as it relaxes the muscles around the utereus... That's why cows will get it after a section so they won't put out the calf bed.

I'd give it to a ewe after a hard lambing to settle everything back and to a ewe after putting in her lamb bed, Putting in the calf bed must be a huge job in a cow, at least with the ewe I can hang her up by the back legs on the loader

Don't worry Wrangler not me that does it either haha just seen plenty a sections and asked plenty off questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Lambman wrote: »

It causes uterine contractions, which increase the pressure on the cervix (ringwomb) and helps to force it open. However if it’s a true ringwomb which will not open (you can’t get a finger in) then oxytocin will just put pressure on the lambs. It’s will let down milk if it’s there, if the lack of milk is due to nutrition oxytocin won’t help. After sections or putting back calf beds, the contractions help the uterus close down and this helps pass the cleaning and reduce any infection, same after a hard calving or lambing. It can also help to form a bond between the cow and calf or ewe and lamb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

The father had the vet out 1 night about 3am. She said to get more help as it would take an extra pair of hands to get it in. I was called, went into the shed to see the vet resting the bed under her chin while shoving it in. The father was at the cows head keeping her quiet (no calving gate at the time). She's a very good vet but went massively up in my estimation after that night. Money wouldn't pay you for it.
    Also i can see why the local vet use to get a wee whiskey or bottle when they'd call

Seen a vet using a wine bottle till put in a calf bed here 15 odd years ago used it as an extension till shove it in further than he could reach

• Advertisement
Advertisement