Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all disc brakes zing when sprinting

Options
  • 18-02-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I was road testing a high end aero road bike at the weekend. Rode like a dream. BUT when out of the saddle sprinting (even in normal shoes) there was a audible zing every time I'd hammer it.

Do all disc brakes suffer from this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

1700 watts makes all sort of nosies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Just the bike flexing and pads catching the rotor, you would probably hear it if really leaning the bike into corners. More evident on bikes with quick releases than through axles.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You may find readjusting the resting position of the pads is all it takes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I haven't had to replace the pads on my hybrid but are they like cars and benefit from a dab of copper grease on the back of the pad to reduce noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

tunney wrote: »
    I was road testing a high end aero road bike at the weekend. Rode like a dream. BUT when out of the saddle sprinting (even in normal shoes) there was a audible zing every time I'd hammer it.

Do all disc brakes suffer from this?

Hydro?

Not properly set up, would need to push the pistons back into the caliper and then adjust.

The other potential is the wheel isn't properly inserted into the forks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I haven't had to replace the pads on my hybrid but are they like cars and benefit from a dab of copper grease on the back of the pad to reduce noise?

Id be careful with that carry on. Copper grease on discs not good

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

benneca1 wrote: »
    Id be careful with that carry on. Copper grease on discs not good
    On the rear of the pad, not the friction side...
    https://www.mtecbrakes.com/cg29_guide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a difference between car brakes and bike brakes though, i've been told (and have obviously never tested!) - car brakes get hot enough to burn off contamination, bike brakes don't. you rarely hear of people taking the brake pads out of their car to clean them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

On the rear of the pad, not the friction side...
    https://www.mtecbrakes.com/cg29_guide

Copper grease is used because it can withstand very high temperatures, like those generated in car braking. Not really an issue on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A friend has bb7 brakes and everytime he's out of the saddle it's zing ling ding, I have trp Hy/Rd brakes and no matter how hard I Sprint there is no noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm sure it will be drowned out by the woosh woosh woosh of the deep wheels :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

It happens on my cyclocross bike (QR, cable discs) and not on my mountain bike (thru-axle, hydro discs). I think it's a function of how much your fork/frame flexes. If it's a mechanical system, you probably will have it set up with the pads very close to the disc.

Narrow road carbon forks with quick releases must flex. I don't really like to think what the braking forces are doing on such a fork under heavy braking. Another reason to prefer rim brakes on a road bike, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Borderfox wrote: »
    A friend has bb7 brakes and everytime he's out of the saddle it's zing ling ding, I have trp Hy/Rd brakes and no matter how hard I Sprint there is no noise

HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I don't really like to think what the braking forces are doing on such a fork under heavy braking. Another reason to prefer rim brakes on a road bike, in my opinion.

Rim brakes cause just as much force on the forks as discs - when you brake, the front hub forces the bottom of the fork blades backwards and the weight of the rider and the rest of the bike forces the fork crown forwards. The only difference is that discs generate more force on one (the left) blade than the other.

Once a fork is designed to take the forces, there's no problem in either case.

Advertisement