Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still waiting on the return of deposit

Options
  • 18-02-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We decided against a house purchase over 5 weeks ago now and have yet to get the initial booking deposit back.

I have emailed the EA and tried phoning them but keep getting reception and saying they will pass on the message.

Anyone know if this is normal, I was always under the impression that this was fully refundable?

No contracts were signed etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Can you call into them? I know can be a pain as some only open Mon-Fri 9-5
    But far easier to get them to write you a cheque there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bri007 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is normal, I was always under the impression that this was fully refundable?
    Did they say it was refundable? What did your solicitor say?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Had a similar issue and it might take a letter from your solicitor to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

the_syco wrote: »
    Did they say it was refundable? What did your solicitor say?

Booking deposits are always refundable. A threat to complain to the PSRA might produce some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

As mentioned just call in and say I'm here to collect x. sit down and wait...and wait... they'll soon write the cheque, thats all they have to do at the end of the day ...pen to paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Doop wrote: »
    As mentioned just call in and say I'm here to collect x. sit down and wait...and wait... they'll soon write the cheque, thats all they have to do at the end of the day ...pen to paper

Agree. Turning up in person is more effective than phone/email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks, yeah I’ll drip in tomorrow on way home from work and hopefully they will give me the cheque then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bri007 wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah I’ll drip in tomorrow on way home from work and hopefully they will give me the cheque then.

Insist on an immediate transfer. The money should be held in a client account. 5 weeks is 34 days too long to wait.

Advertisement