Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to know who supplies "own brand"?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to find out who is supplying shops with their "own brand" produce? There is certainly no difference in the quality/taste at times, but a good reduction in price.

Also, was chatting to the mother over the weekend who found that one shop changed its supplier of Soya milk and now can't find one that she likes...Would be handy if there was a way to find out who the original supplier was and if anyone is using it now.

Thanks!

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sometimes it is obvious from the size and shape of the packaging.
    Sometimes you can check the back of the product for an export code e.g. IE 8031.

I wouldn't necessarily assume the product will be 100% identical, there could be slight variations in the formulation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They can list the ingredients in a very similar manner, some will use brackets and odd terminiology, and this is often copied over to the own brands. The nutritional info might be identical.

They could appear identical but be using say a higher grade of flour in one of them (not necessarily their own). With biscuits I read of some baking them at a higher temp to get more throughput. I remember years back own brand cream crackers tended to have more brown overheated spots than the branded ones.

Some make no real secret about it, like Largo make many own brand crisps, you might see reports of it on facebook or reddit, a lad opening a back of lidl/aldi "okie dokies" and finding hunky dory packs in it.

This was on reddit just yesterday, allegedly finding a "trader joe" (us supermarket brand) packet inside a supervalu packet

ViwATukl.jpg
    louiseber
    37 points
    ·
    21 hours ago
    Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, so whoever makes Aldi cookies must be who Supervalu are also buying off. The murky muddled world of own labels is a mysterious minefield

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/arndm2/supervalu_trader_joes/

If you cannot find who made what I would compare the ingredients listings to find one which is more likely to be similar, rather than simply buying say a random soya milk in the hope it is similar. ingredients are listed in order of greatest first, and if there are few ingredients then the nutritional values can reveal which are likely to be more similar.

Advertisement