Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re: Toiletries in Nursing Home

• 18-02-2019 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

My old man is in a HSE run nursing home.
    One of the Healthcare Assistants in particular often badgers me to buy him deoderant and shower gel.

The old man doesn't like deoderant and doesn't stink.

I buy him his tops, bottoms etc, which usually go missing via the outsourced laundry provider but I replace these no problem.

I mentioned it to the ward manager and she never got back to me to say whether I should be providing toiletries separately.

We pay €1900 a month for the home which I assumed would cover basics of showergel, shampoo etc.

Just wondering if other people with relatives in nursing homes pay for these separately?

The head nurse did ring me previously to ask me to buy some steroid cream for an inflamed cut he had on his head. Which I definitely thought odd as they'd have access to the hospital pharmacy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Op,
    In my Mam.s nursing home, all toiletries are extra. These are put in detail on each monthy Invoice.
    I.m talking about the basic items, shampoo, body wash, deodorant etc.....
    I.m not taking away from the service they provide, but these homes are a business, and if they were operating at a loss, they
    would.nt be long closing their doors. Maybe the steroid cream was not covered under your Dad.s medical card....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Thanks for that. Yeah this one isn't private though, it's a HSE nursing home, attached to a major Dublin hospital.

Advertisement