Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPs quitting Labour & Conservative parties discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Labour make largest gains in a general election since before WWII despite predictions of a Tory absolute majority and then some poll has them losing 2-4 seats.

"OMG WHAT FAILURES!!!"

You couldn't make this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Same posters fighting the same fight that was fought here tbh:

https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103757127

Of course Corbyn survived leadership challenges he wasn’t supppsed to survive and then way outperformed expectations at the ballot box. And he’ll do so again when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Neither am I. And before you go quoting the post where you think I did, read it carefully.

What about that time you claimed Labour were 'miles behind' only to then turn round and say you were talking about Corbyns leadership when it was pointed out both were dead even?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Same posters fighting the same fight that was fought here tbh:

https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103757127

Of course Corbyn survived leadership challenges he wasn’t supppsed to survive and then way outperformed expectations at the ballot box. And he’ll do so again when the time comes.

Largest turn outs at political party leadership elections in British history turning Labour into the party with the largest membership in Europe provides 2-in-a-row landslide victories followed by largest gains in a general election since before the war.

What a failure, he has no mandate, he has to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Largest turn outs at political party leadership elections in British history turning Labour into the party with the largest membership in Europe provides 2-in-a-row landslide victories followed by largest gains in a general election since before the war.

What a failure, he has no mandate, he has to go!

In 2016, his MPs voted 172-40 in favour of a no confidence motion against him. I'd say that figure would be higher today.

• Advertisement

In 2016, his MPs voted 172-40 in favour of a no confidence motion against him. I'd say that figure would be higher today.

And then he won a landslide victory in the leadership election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not sure how your maths works. 7 MPs from this lot, plus those suspended or don't have the whip means that would be virtually impossible.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"OMG WHAT FAILURES!!!"

You couldn't make this stuff.

You really couldn't could you. Biggest crisis in Britain since wartime and the main opposition party set to continue to be just that, opposition, leading a split party.

What's with the rabid defence of the man on an Irish website flying in the face of all the facts?

Hurrache wrote: »
    You really couldn't could you. Biggest crisis in Britain since wartime and the main opposition party set to continue to be just that, opposition, leading a split party.

What's with the rabid defence of the man on an Irish website flying in the face of all the facts?

This has got to farcical proportions. The centre neoliberal wing of the labour party never accepted him and it was knives out from the start, and they leave it to a little under 40 days from brexit to split the opposition wide open to leave everyone at the mercy of a far-right tory govt for the foreseeable future. Behaving like Children.

Sam Tarry sums it up nicely here -
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1097555101219196928

What “facts” underpin the supposed anti - semitism “issues”? What are the specific allegations / problems / examples?

• Advertisement

What “facts” underpin the supposed anti - semitism “issues”? What are the specific allegations / problems / examples?

What's that got to do with the post you quoted,. i.e. a split labour party destined to remain in opposition because they're an utterly toothless opposition in parliament to the detriment of their country?

Well the facts are that he has made labour the largest political party in Europe in terms of registered members, he won two landslide leadership election victories in quick succession, made the largest gains in post war election history from a base that was completely destroyed by the "new labour" Torylites to the point that the Tory's expected to considerable INCREASE their already existing majority, and survived several attempted coups from disgruntled Torylite MP's and a concerted media campaign from almost all sides to paint him as Hitler incarnate and is now presenting the only credible, workable proposal to dealing with the Brexit mess that David Cameron and Teresa May created.

Those are the facts.

What's that got to do with the post you quoted?

You want to throw around the word “facts” on Corbyn, let’s do exactly that!

Not sure how your maths works. 7 MPs from this lot, plus those suspended or don't have the whip means that would be virtually impossible.

Since 2016 his leadership has proven to be terrible and his approval ratings are terrible. And he's hemorrhaging MPs. All of this in the context of a Tory meltdown in the past year. Nah, his own MPs would dump him in the morning if they could.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Havockk wrote: »
    What about that time you claimed Labour were 'miles behind' only to then turn round and say you were talking about Corbyns leadership when it was pointed out both were dead even?

What about the repeated times I've pointed out that Labour appear incapable of doing better than barely drawing level with a Conservative party that couldn't find its arse with both hands, a map and a Sherpa guide?

If the highest praise you have for Corbyn is "he isn't less popular than May anymore", I think that speaks for itself.

What about the repeated times I've pointed out that Labour appear incapable of doing better than barely drawing level with a Conservative party that couldn't find its arse with both hands, a map and a Sherpa guide?

If the highest praise you have for Corbyn is "he isn't less popular than May anymore", I think that speaks for itself.

You accept you were wrong then?

You want to throw around the word “facts” on Corbyn, let’s do exactly that!

So you're saying the polls are wrong, they're looking like they will win the next election because they're doing such a great job with the Brexit crisis?

Because otherwise I'm still struggling to see what the relevancy here is other than to deflect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Didn't you say they were miles behind in the polls?

An average of all polls conducted in 2019 have May's approval rating at 31% and Corbyn's at 24%. That's how bad he is.

So you're saying the polls are wrong, they're looking like they will win the next election because they're doing such a great job with the Brexit crisis?

Because otherwise I'm still struggling to see what the relevancy here is other than to deflect.

Nothing to deflect. The context of the conversation here is about 7 MP's leaving the opposition party, right in the midst of a major constitutional crisis. The effects of which are to make a bad situation worse.... but we can console ourselves by calling unprincipled people principled.

No feckin wonder we are in the current mess.

• Advertisement

An average of all polls conducted in 2019 have May's approval rating at 31% and Corbyn's at 24%. That's how bad he is.

We both know that the only poll worth talking about is the last.

The one that projects a gain of seats for the Conservatives from last week or the week before?

The truth of the matter is that British politics is in a ridiculously bad state at the moment on all sides and it's not going to get better any time soon, least of all for their electorate.

Eh, no. We don't know that at all. If I'm a Labour MP looking to Corbyn to lead me into a glorious future and ensuring I keep my seat, then I'd be keeping a beady eye on the polls. I'd be wondering how my party would be doing under a leader who wasn't so unpopular.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Was I wrong not to note that Labour have just recently increased in the polls from "worse than a flaming bag of dog turds" to "about as bad as a flaming bag of dog turds"? Sure, if it makes you happy, I was wrong.

Now, when you're done basking in the glory of that victory, can we discuss the more salient point, which is just how bad a party has to be to have only recently scraped level with a May-led Tory government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Anyone know what Vince cables approval is? Out of interest

Anyone know what Vince cables approval is? Out of interest

Averaging 20% in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was I wrong not to note that Labour have just recently increased in the polls from "worse than a flaming bag of dog turds" to "about as bad as a flaming bag of dog turds"? Sure, if it makes you happy, I was wrong.

Now, when you're done basking in the glory of that victory, can we discuss the more salient point, which is just how bad a party has to be to have only recently scraped level with a May-led Tory government?

No no you're wrong

Corbyn has a genius plan he's known what he is doing for the last two years. And will unveil his master plan in march in the final week.

You just wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What about the repeated times I've pointed out that no labour leader could have opposed the referendum result.

I've lost silly points before and owned them. No lost honour in that.

• Advertisement

What about the repeated times I've pointed out that no labour leader could have opposed the referendum result.

Or that nobody in the labour party would currently beat Corbyn in a leadership election, or that Corbyn is currently the Labour MP with the highest approval rating?

Advertisement