Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6. 2015 on

• 18-02-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Howdy. Sort of a follow up from my last thread. I was looking at Passats as a replacement for my now aging Mondeo. But her indoors has expressed an interest in the latest model Mazda 6. With the mileage she does, it makes sense to go diesel but are the horrors of the previous model gone??? The reputation of the 2.0 and 2.2 diesel in the previous models was shocking. Have they sorted this??? Hard to find much on the net other than the horror stories from the previous models.

We’re probably looking at cars from 2015 to 2016. They seemed to be priced well which sort of worries me. Is it because of the reputation of the previous model, or are the newer ones still $#|t

Good friend of mine has a 2014 Mazda 3 with the same engine and has had no bother in the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The 2.2 engine if bought with low miles can still survive very long time.
    Have a friend, who has good few connections in Eastern Europe, who import and fix a lot of newish cars. What they figured out: if you get 2.2 low mileage car and do services sooner then what manual says, then it will serve you very well.
    Mazda 6 that vintage is beautiful car, but sound isolation in it is pretty damn bad. The new facelift version is waaaay better car, but it's very pricy right now.
    Funny enough Mazda petrol engines return very decent mpg. Going for bigger non turbo engine payed off compared to small turbo charged stuff every manufacturer goes for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

There is a lot better diesels cars than the Madza 6. had two in the family that the engine packed in a 2010 and 2014. wouldn't trust the diesel engine that Madza use to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 2.2 engine if bought with low miles can still survive very long time.
    Have a friend, who has good few connections in Eastern Europe, who import and fix a lot of newish cars. What they figured out: if you get 2.2 low mileage car and do services sooner then what manual says, then it will serve you very well.
    Mazda 6 that vintage is beautiful car, but sound isolation in it is pretty damn bad. The new facelift version is waaaay better car, but it's very pricy right now.
    Funny enough Mazda petrol engines return very decent mpg. Going for bigger non turbo engine payed off compared to small turbo charged stuff every manufacturer goes for.

The Mazda3 2.2 was on my radar there for a while. They’re seriously cheap in the uk and even though they’re only 150ps they do 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, have the same torque as a Golf GTD mk7 and only half a second slower despite being down 30PS or so. All while having Plain-Jane 16 inch wheels.

My logical bargain is saying not to go near them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Mazda3 2.2 was on my radar there for a while. They’re seriously cheap in the uk and even though they’re only 150ps they do 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, have the same torque as a Golf GTD mk7 and only half a second slower despite being down 30PS or so. All while having Plain-Jane 16 inch wheels.

My logical bargain is saying not to go near them though!

Those are really beautiful cars and look like great value second hand, but obviously there is a catch.
    As I said, I can only repeat what those lads said, and they bring these cars, fixing them and reselling, and their conclusion was that it needs more often service intervals. One of the lads bought one here with low miles, and he does just that for about a year. No issues so far. Dealers always argue with him when he brings his car for service and does it 5k earlier, then sheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

So is the same issue still there in the newer 2.2l Diesel?

I remember the wife wanting a 2009 Mazda 6 a few years ago as the price was good and it was the sport model so looked good.

It was that era of car that I was told to stay away from. Is the new shape car just as bad? I mean I'm looking at a 2015-2016 car. Surely they would have sorted it???

• Advertisement
Advertisement