Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro fitting cruise control to a 2011 diesel Avensis

• 18-02-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Just after buying a 2011 diesel Avensis up north.
    Cruise control was on the spec but is not in the car.
    Is it a big job to retro fit this?
    I do a load of motorway driving.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is a funny one. Some are pre-wired and some aren’t.

I would get a cruise switch for the steering wheel, if the light on the dash comes on when you hit the button, then it’s wired.

You can get a kit with all the bits needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I did this with the landcruiser a while back. It's much older and was pre-wired, so I see no reason why the avensis would be any different. Its Toyota build policy to have common wiring looms for all spec levels, and just add the bits if requested.

It only takes a stalk and a switch for the clutch pedal if it's a manual. Fairly straightforward if you're handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Tried to do the same on my corolla, but no luck.

2 things to check first - if there's "cruise" indicator on dash and if there's a socket to plug a stalk in under airbag housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it was available in that model with that engine configuration, I'd be surprised if the wiring wasn't there.

There are some combinations where it was never available, e.g. 1.33 Auris (1st gen at least). Probably less likely with the Avensis.

Unregistered Users

If it was available in that model with that engine configuration, I'd be surprised if the wiring wasn't there.

[...]

That's why I was surprised with mine. It happens.

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    That's why I was surprised with mine. It happens.

It's not a separate plug behind the airbag. The existing plug for the horn may have some un connected pins. (It was this way in mine). Did you look for the wiring connector for the clutch switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I put cruise in my 05 Avensis D4D and my dad's 131 Auris 1.33. The Auris literally took 10 minutes.

Look on YouTube for a guide.

Tried to do the same on my corolla, but no luck.

2 things to check first - if there's "cruise" indicator on dash and if there's a socket to plug a stalk in under airbag housing.

The clusters should all have cruise on them?

Unregistered Users

TrailerBob wrote: »
    It's not a separate plug behind the airbag. The existing plug for the horn may have some un connected pins. (It was this way in mine). Did you look for the wiring connector for the clutch switch?
    I know how would the socket look like, I did my homework. Clutch switch is on its place.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The clusters should all have cruise on them?
    What clusters?

If the switch wiring is there, then the rest is too. The instrument cluster will have a cruise light, or has it a multi-function display? Again, on my 2003 machine it was all there, even had the bulb in the cruise light. And here's the best bit.. Toyota never offered cruise as an option on the cruiser in Ireland in diesel... Yet the factory had it all there. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't there on yours.

• Advertisement

What clusters?

Instruments. They should have cutout space for a cruise control light regardless of whether the car is wired for it. All T27 Avensis will have clutch switch for the electric handbrake.

Advertisement