Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitethorn hedge - grass issues

Options
  • 18-02-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

I have approx 900m of Whitethorn hedging. 500m is well on the way and will require trimming this year.

However the 400m from 18-24 months ago is over run with grass. Last winter I weeded it out of all the grass (scutch, wild). It grew brillantly for the year (the hedge) however it is as bad again with grass.

I have decided to use a herbicide something like Fusilade Max or II to rid the grass for the year.

Where is it possible to purchase in Ireland. I can find it on ebay but not in Ireland. If there is something that as good and available to purchase, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I have used Roundup around the base of a well established hedgerow, but the plants were more than 2 years old when I did this and it's important to avoid getting weedkiller on the foliage.
    I followed up by mulching with plenty of grass cuttings throughout the grass cutting seasons since. The improvement in growth was noticeable soon after starting the mulching, and grass and weeds were eradicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well the answer is in the second post - mulch! In fact mulch first plant second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dump grass clippings around the hedging plants, it makes a good mulch.

Advertisement