Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent talking us out of buying house

Options
  • 18-02-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, we seen a house we really liked in an area where we want to live in.

The house is priced below the current price considering the location, however this is down to the fact that the house needs a bit of work etc and is factored in the price.

We got an exemption from our bank which allowed us to look in this area, so we seen this house and decided to arrange a viewing.

This is when it started, it’s was a pain trying to get a time and day to view the house, right from the from the get go they were talking ya out of even viewing it.

Eventually they gave in and we viewed it last week. Went to the house and before we walked in the front door EA greeted us with “this house in in awful condition it wouldn’t suit you guys, needs an awful lot of work and money”. Picked out all the flaws, mainly all flaws according to him, new everything needed!!

Anyhow we had a look but he followed us around everywhere and couldn’t get a proper look at it, we asked for another viewing and got one. It was this viewing that we seen potential and decided to bid on it.

We got outbid and upped our original offer and we got a phone call from EA really angrily asking are we sure we can afford this, and asking how much money have we set a side to fix the house up. He got a bit aggressive on the phone. I said yes we want this house and I know it needs a lot of work but we are prepared for this.

My question is, is this normal behavior from an EA?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

It's none of his business how much money ye have set aside to do up the house. He probably has a mate of his lined up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My guess is that a previous offer fell through when the bank insisted on seeing proof of funding for the needed renovation. They won't issue a mortgage for a property that's uninhabitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sleepy wrote: »
    My guess is that a previous offer fell through when the bank insisted on seeing proof of funding for the needed renovation. They won't issue a mortgage for a property that's uninhabitable.

The house could be in bits. Doesnt mean its uninhabitable. Unconformable to live in but thats up to the OP.

I bought a house like this just over a year ago. No heating, no insulation, no electricity and no running water when we moved in. Bank valuation went in with now issues. Some issues were easier to fix than others. All in we have probably spent another 15% of the purchase price doing it up via equity in last house/loans.

At the end of the day if you are happy to live in what will be poor conditions **** what the EA thinks and bid away.

PS Our estate agent was asking the same questions but I think mainly to make sure we knew what we were letting ourselfs in with. I suggest you get a builder to run his eye over it before bidding again just to get a handle on roof costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Genreally not having running water , no kitchen or no bathroom would all separately lead a house to be deemed not habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

Or could be trying to sell it cheap to a friend etc...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Looked at a few wrecks when buying, although we had a more professional experience the EA did, and should, check to make sure we were properly prepared in regard to a mortgage. Not all property is good security for a mortgage and banks will either attach conditions, or possibly not lend at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He might think you're inexperienced, unable to price the work needed will not be able to raise the finance because the banks valuation won't work and dealing which you could turn out to be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newjob1

Thanks for the replies,

The house has running water, kitchen and a bathroom. Possibly needs a rewrire, new windows and new heating system and some changes internally such as walls as some rooms have been made into one upstairs. Wall partitions would be required to make it into bedrooms upstairs.

To be honest it’s habitable the way it is, it’s a project I fully get that but one which in time I think would be worth it for the location alone. Obviously I’m no surveyor so can’t judge any structural defects but doesn’t appear to be anything but then again nobody knows until we get one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Newjob1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

The house has running water, kitchen and a bathroom. Possibly needs a rewrire, new windows and new heating system and some changes internally such as walls as some rooms have been made into one upstairs. Wall partitions would be required to make it into bedrooms upstairs.

To be honest it’s habitable the way it is, it’s a project I fully get that but one which in time I think would be worth it for the location alone. Obviously I’m no surveyor so can’t judge any structural defects but doesn’t appear to be anything but then again nobody knows until we get one out.

The EA might very well know is all people are saying. Then again they might be looking after a builder pal. It's your money to spend on a survey if a narkey EA is going to put you off you probably aren't up for the myriad of hairy arsed trades people you're going to have to deal with. If you can navigate the EA then crack on if you think the place is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Just my two cents here but I would guess that the EA doesn't believe the property is mortageable or believes that a lot of time (and therfore work) will be required to get it past the bank.

It could be for a number of reasons (including his own misinformed opinion, of course), subsidence area, flood area, boundary issues etc. Its possible he has sold other homes in the area and knows that they are a pain to deal with banks on and just wants an easy life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

First mistake is telling EA how much you can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most likely looking after a friend/builder. EA will get one purchase from you but others he will get multiple purchases if they 'treat them right.
    Pretty common practice especially in small areas. Morally and legally questionable but hard to prove.

I didn’t answer him when he asked how much money we had to put into the house, we just upped our bid to the amount we were willing to pay. We had a maximum price set which we are approaching and would then walk away.

He wanted to know exactly how much we had budgeted to fix up the house, he said it could be anything from €60-100k. I said we are aware it needs a lot of work and we are happy to keep going woth our bid
    begbysback wrote: »
    First mistake is telling EA how much you can afford

Only thing could be a structural issue, there was an extension build on side maybe no planning permission granted for it or not done correctly.

Apart from that everything else is standard to what we have viewed in every house over 40-50 years old. Again just speculating that may be the case but the surveyor would spot that when we get it done, but then again is it’s structural surely that would effect everyone considering buying it
    Askthe EA wrote: »
    Just my two cents here but I would guess that the EA doesn't believe the property is mortageable or believes that a lot of time (and therfore work) will be required to get it past the bank.

It could be for a number of reasons (including his own misinformed opinion, of course), subsidence area, flood area, boundary issues etc. Its possible he has sold other homes in the area and knows that they are a pain to deal with banks on and just wants an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I didn’t answer him when he asked how much money we had to put into the house, we just upped our bid to the amount we were willing to pay. We had a maximum price set which we are approaching and would then walk away.

He wanted to know exactly how much we had budgeted to fix up the house, he said it could be anything from €60-100k. I said we are aware it needs a lot of work and we are happy to keep going woth our bid

The estate agent doesn't know if you are prepared or in a position to spend the money needed to do up the house. People take 10k or 20 K will do wonders on any house. People have these notions about doing work overtime, one room at a time fantasies. The agent wants to know if you're in the real world or a fantasy world. He only gets paid in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Newjob1 wrote:
    My question is, is this normal behavior from an EA?

Yes normal behaviour. Not the being aggressive part but it's his job to ask these questions. His next step should be to get you to prove that you have funds for the purchase and at least most of the renovations before he takes your bid seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Yes normal behaviour. Not the being aggressive part but it's his job to ask these questions. His next step should be to get you to prove that you have funds for the purchase and at least most of the renovations before he takes your bid seriously

Ability to meet the purchase price is understandable but other than that how is it relevant to the EA what funds the OP has for renovations?

The estate agent doesn't know if you are prepared or in a position to spend the money needed to do up the house. People take 10k or 20 K will do wonders on any house. People have these notions about doing work overtime, one room at a time fantasies. The agent wants to know if you're in the real world or a fantasy world. He only gets paid in the real world.

In fairness, the Estate Agent sells houses and apartments, not carpets and sofas. It's not really of concern to an estate agent whether or not someone can afford to fix up a house, it's just a concern whether or not they can afford the house itself.

If someone wants to buy a house for €100k, and it's gonna cost another €50k to fix it up, it's no real business of the Estate Agent whether the OP has that €50k in his pocket there and then, or plans to let the house sit idle and tackle it over a 20 year period. Once the house itself is sold, the estate agent can pat himself on the back and draw a line through that house on his books.

Ability to meet the purchase price is understandable but other than that how is it relevant to the EA what funds the OP has for renovations?

Lots of people bid on a house thinking 10k to do it up but it might take 50k or more. A large proportion of these pull out of the sale when their surveyor gives them the bad news. It's prudent of the estate agent to verify before accepting an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Majority of houses we have been looking at needs at least €50k, be it windows, heating etc and no estate agent has tried to put us off by saying negative things about it, in fact they have said the opposite by selling it up more when it’s actually in bits.

We had one estate agent telling us we could get new windows for €5k in a 3 bed semi d :) when I said the house needs a lot of money put into it!

Appears the something isn’t right there, maybe the estate agent has it put aside for someone else they know?

Maybe get a builder to double check and get your Surveyor out.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Lots of people bid on a house thinking 10k to do it up but it might take 50k or more. A large proportion of these pull out of the sale when their surveyor gives them the bad news. It's prudent of the estate agent to verify before accepting an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Here is my experience of one house we looked at many years ago.
    Looked at a house over priced but lovely not much outside space agent gave us a viewing. The agent said house not great over priced owner does not want to sell ba ba ba . Has a bid of 150k below. We asked to have a second viewing..agent are you sure you want this house. Went to see house again. Decided not for us.

Found out 6months later agent moved in and made it their home. Obviously did not want anyone to bid to on it and bought it for the low ball offer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Could be because the last sale fell through as said above. The house I bought needed some work, structurally it was sound and only needed a kitchen but I listed everything I was going to do. The bank left me short this amount when drawing down the mortgage and I had to make it up in cash. It was only an extra 5k but I had to give that cash when it came time to pay and left me with very little to start the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sleeper12 wrote:

That makes zero sense tbh.

bri007 wrote:
    Majority of houses we have been looking at needs at least €50k, be it windows, heating etc and no estate agent has tried to put us off by saying negative things about it, in fact they have said the opposite by selling it up more when it’s actually in bits.

We don't know how run down this house is or how much to get it up to standard.

It's prudent of the estate agent to ensure that bidders are aware of the costs involved rather than the sale falling through in a month or two.

I had a call earlier this afternoon from a guy. His wife thinks that the motor in her 10 year old shower is slightly noiser than before and he wanted to pay me to check it out.

My advice was to do nothing. The average life span of an electric shower is 10 years. A replacement motor is 150 supplied & fitted. The logical thing to do is to wait till the shower stops and then replace it rather than repair it now. He might get another year or two before the motor packs in. I talked myself out of a job. Not all engineers would give honest advice like this. Many just see money & will repair a shower that shouldn't be repaired. That doesn't mean that it's not good sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

But if we went of the estate agents view of the costs involved we would be most likely led down a garden path to be honest, speaking from experiences so far.

As I said we have had estate agents under pricing costs to remedy problems that are a lot more that they said, come on like 5k for new windows?

You have to take estate agents recommendations with a pinch of salt, need to do your own homework to be honest. They would tell you anything to seek you a house and to talk you out of a house if it meant lining their own pockets!
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We don't know how run down this house is or how much to get it up to standard.

It's prudent of the estate agent to ensure that bidders are aware of the costs involved rather than the sale falling through in a month or two.

I had a call earlier this afternoon from a guy. His wife thinks that the motor in her 10 year old shower is slightly noiser than before and he wanted to pay me to check it out.

My advice was to do nothing. The average life span of an electric shower is 10 years. A replacement motor is 150 supplied & fitted. The logical thing to do is to wait till the shower stops and then replace it rather than repair it now. He might get another year or two before the motor packs in. I talked myself out of a job. Not all engineers would give honest advice like this. Many just see money & will repair a shower that shouldn't be repaired. That doesn't mean that it's not good sound advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Askthe EA wrote: »

Why would he be selling a property if he believes it to be unmortgeagble?

bri007 wrote:
    You have to take estate agents recommendations with a pinch of salt, need to do your own homework to be honest. They would tell you anything to seek you a house and to talk you out of a house if it meant lining their own pockets!

Yes you always have to do your own homework. This goes for most things in life

The point I was trying to make was that you won't get the same advice from all estate agents. They don't all ask the same questions. I know some very honest estate agents & some I have total trust in. Some have saved me a lot of money by taking their advice.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the behaviour of the estate agent in the op, except for the possible aggressive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

begbysback wrote: »
    Why would he be selling a property if he believes it to be unmortgeagble?

Every property is sellable but some are unmortageable .
    For example a lot of auction properties would be unmortgageable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Building rates have jumped we've just finished an extension and renovations. It would be no harm to pay a QS to do a survey now and get a costed outline of a simple and high end renovation. That would shut up the EA and you can if needed show it to the bank to get a letter that they will lend on it. That would back up your offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The house is priced below the current price considering the location, however this is down to the fact that the house needs a bit of work etc and is factored in the price.
    Be careful. Make sure that the bank is happy with the arrangements for funding the renovations - banks are slow to include renovation costs in the mortgage and may insist on a separate term loan.

Advertisement