Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent: Suspicious Email

• 18-02-2019 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭

I have received an email from myself to myself claiming that there is malware on my computer and I need to pay a ransom to get it removed, otherwise my computer will be taken over.

Can you advise me what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

It's a scam, just ignore it. Scammers can 'spoof' the from field in an email to make it look like it's from you but isn't. 

Google "Spoofed bitcoin extortion" or something like that and you'll find a bunch of articles like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes its similar to that. I did visit the site the email said I visited so it got me worries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Should I change my password?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If you want, there's no harm in it! But these mails are just blasted out to thousands of people hoping that someone will pay, and aren't something to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dinner wrote: »
    If you want, there's no harm in it! But these mails are just blasted out to thousands of people hoping that someone will pay, and aren't something to worry about
    If it is the sextortion one then it is something to worry about as at least one site you have used has been hacked and they have your password and email which they will use to try and access other sites
    Good idea to use a password manager or if using Chrome it's own password manager and use a different password for every site you have an account.
    Google has a plugin for Chrome (Password Checkup) that will alert you to any hacked passwords you are using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have received an email from myself to myself claiming that there is malware on my computer and I need to pay a ransom to get it removed, otherwise my computer will be taken over.

Can you advise me what to do?
    Hi Gael23

Unfortunately there have been a number of phishing attempts and scam calls in circulation.  We cannot do anything about this but we will always advise you to never click on any links or give any personal details or information about yourself or any accounts that you may have.

Many thanks

~Linzi

Advertisement