Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CPU Cooler?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi I was noticing recently that my CPU temps are hitting around 80-90 degrees when playing some of the newer games. It currently has the stock Intel CPU cooler installed since day one. Was just wondering would it be wise replace the stock cooler with a third party cooler? My specs are as follows:

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @3.40GHz
    16GB Ram
    MSI Z97 PC Mate
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Probably just needs to be removed, cleaned and repasted. The Intel cooler isn't that bad, and those temps wouldn't be normal on it.

Could also be a lack of, or very bad, airflow in the case?

But, a third party cooler will still be better, but that's not normal performance for the stock cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

To be fair, I haven't gone near the CPU or the fan since I built it few years back so the paste is probably all but gone. But if I was to buy a third party cooler which one would be preferable? Budget be probably 60-70 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Coolermaster, well within your budget for a decent one and very good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd go all-out and get a Noctua NH-U12S.

Quiet, amazing performance, fits almost every motherboard/case (158mm height), and you get a 6-year warranty in case the fan ever breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

If you haven't gone near it in years I'd imagine there is quite a bit of dust built up in the heatsink and fan?

Open your case, turn on your PC and start a game or something, see how fast the fan is spinning once temps start getting high. My experience with stock coolers is the fans just seem to get slower over time. Probably need to reapply thermal past to the CPU too if its been a few years, it dries up like cement. Easy to clean off with a mircofibe cloth.

After market cooler would be my recommendation. Some very good and affordable coolers out there like mentioned above. It should do you if you decide to upgrade too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The Xeon 1231v3's cooler is just the Intel "copper slug" cooler so it wouldn't be amazing to begin with.

@OP
    Another thing you can do to reign in temps is to undervolt it.
    https://pokde.net/review/intel-xeon-e3-1230v3-undervolting-benchmark/

IIRC I was able to run mine at -0.1V from stock.

Advertisement