Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College in OZ vs NZ

Options
  • 18-02-2019 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello everyone. I have been in NZ the past 2 years and lately I have been contemplating going to college here. Also the idea of going in OZ has also cropped up so I am in two minds at the moment. I am a citizen of both countries so does anyone know which county would provide the better support? Does anyone have any experience as a foreigner going to college in one of these countries and how does college compare to back home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I've been studying by distance in Australia (exams at nearest Uni) for about 5 years now part-time to finish a BEng (Some on-campus labs for certain subjects) I had started overseas. It's pretty manageable with full-time work, provided you have the discipline to get the work done. My first semester was a nightmare as I didn't plan my study sessions well enough and wasn't getting productive work done (was missing out on exercise and a social life in order to sit staring at a book distracted as all hell) Semester 2 was easier, I just studied on school night evenings after a swim or cycle and dinner and found it much easier to get productive work done.

With regard to Australian Universities, I have found them to be more flexible and supportive than my experience in Ireland, although I was pretty immature, rebellious and prone to ignoring the three fingers pointing back at me when things went awry.

The downside is the cost. every single module is going to set you back $800-$1200, while HECS can cover the upfront cost, you will have to pay the piper at some stage.
    I've found it to be very positive, and due to a decent living wage, I've been paying off reasonable chunks of it every year, so I won't have a massive debt to clear when I'm done (of the order of $8k or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

monreader wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I have been in NZ the past 2 years and lately I have been contemplating going to college here. Also the idea of going in OZ has also cropped up so I am in two minds at the moment. I am a citizen of both countries so does anyone know which county would provide the better support? Does anyone have any experience as a foreigner going to college in one of these countries and how does college compare to back home?
    The first think you should check in both countries is your fee status. I'm pretty sure that in Australia it's your residence history, not your citizenship, which determines the level of fees you pay, and the difference between resident and non-resident fees is dramatic. The same may be true in New Zealand. So look into what fees you would pay in each country, based on your residence history, and if one of them would be dramatically more expensive than the other, well, that may simplify the choice facing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monreader

I've been studying by distance in Australia (exams at nearest Uni) for about 5 years now part-time to finish a BEng (Some on-campus labs for certain subjects) I had started overseas. It's pretty manageable with full-time work, provided you have the discipline to get the work done. My first semester was a nightmare as I didn't plan my study sessions well enough and wasn't getting productive work done (was missing out on exercise and a social life in order to sit staring at a book distracted as all hell) Semester 2 was easier, I just studied on school night evenings after a swim or cycle and dinner and found it much easier to get productive work done.

With regard to Australian Universities, I have found them to be more flexible and supportive than my experience in Ireland, although I was pretty immature, rebellious and prone to ignoring the three fingers pointing back at me when things went awry.

The downside is the cost. every single module is going to set you back $800-$1200, while HECS can cover the upfront cost, you will have to pay the piper at some stage.
    I've found it to be very positive, and due to a decent living wage, I've been paying off reasonable chunks of it every year, so I won't have a massive debt to clear when I'm done (of the order of $8k or so)

Thank you very much for the info. I checked out the HECS site and its good knowing that there are student loans available. However, is there such a thing similiar to SUSI that we get back home. Like a contribution from a government body to help you out with any college requirements and that doesn't have to be payed back. I would be working while I study so I am not looking for every hand out I can get, but if help was needed, just seeing what the options are.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The first think you should check in both countries is your fee status. I'm pretty sure that in Australia it's your residence history, not your citizenship, which determines the level of fees you pay, and the difference between resident and non-resident fees is dramatic. The same may be true in New Zealand. So look into what fees you would pay in each country, based on your residence history, and if one of them would be dramatically more expensive than the other, well, that may simplify the choice facing you.

When you say residence history, do you mean how long I woild have been in the country prior to starting college? With the research I have done, it seems that an Australian citizen is charged domestic fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

On checking, you're correct. An Australian citizen will be charged domestic fees both in Australia and in New Zealand.

However, I think that as an Australian citizen you won't qualify for a New Zealand Student Loan or the New Zealand Student Allowance. Double-check that, since I could be wrong, but if I'm right you may want to factor it into your decision.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    On checking, you're correct. An Australian citizen will be charged domestic fees both in Australia and in New Zealand.

However, I think that as an Australian citizen you won't qualify for a New Zealand Student Loan or the New Zealand Student Allowance. Double-check that, since I could be wrong, but if I'm right you may want to factor it into your decision.

Cool, I will check that out. I appreciate all your help.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

NZ labour govt are about to change the education system in NZ, they seem to like to kick things up in that country every couple of years and systems are constantly changing and adding more expense at each and every change. A few years back there were entire groups of Asian students that paid for courses and finished them only to find out that they were worthless, their papers were not recognised anywhere, not even in NZ.
    I don't know anything about the OZ system but I would really consider going for a system that was not about to be over hauled by a govt that has virtually failed big time on every policy it has introduced since they came to power 18 months ago.

Advertisement