Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been robbed by a close friend/family member?

Options
  • 18-02-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

There's always talk of getting your phone/purse/wallet nicked by a junkie on O'Connell street but I've heard most thefts, just like murders, are done by people close to you.

Either nicking money or items to pawn off. I've had an experience with both of these from a friend and cousin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Yep, had a relation who was a complete kleptomaniac. Had to take my purse with me whenever she was in the house, it's horrible.

Books & DVDs were quietly purloined by a neighbour. A declutter expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

My brother used to be a clincial kleptomaniac, but he's taking something for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

mother-in-law robbed me
    sister in law pocketed 12000dollars from MILs savings account after she died but got caught

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I gave a friend a lend to help with rent.

Nearly €5k I never got it back.

Fcuking scum bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Usually it's a loan of items that I never get back.

As regards cash, once I had turn up at a lads house to my loaned cash from him.

I also took from a fella who was boasting about robbing other people.

Never. Friends are friends, and money is money. You don't mix them.

Lending anything to a mate in excess of €50 is a recipe for disaster, just don't do it. It's money, and no friendship is contingent on sharing money.

Money and friends are like Oil and Water. They don't mix well, and they never will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

whiskeyman wrote: »
    My brother used to be a clincial kleptomaniac, but he's taking something for it...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Books & DVDs were quietly purloined by a neighbour. A declutter expert.

Purloined - great word.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not really from friends/family.
    Food etc got stolen at college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not really from friends/family.
    Food etc got stolen at college.

Eaten at college eaten....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Have a family member (step daughter) who is a heroin addict, so thats a very big yes. All members of my family have been touched by her requirement for cash or things easily converted.

We also now, later on in our lives than we bargained for, have a 10 year old who lives with us, and we are now his legal guardians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭denismc

My wife spends all my money!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Have a family member (step daughter) who is a heroin addict, so thats a very big yes. All members of my family have been touched by her requirement for cash or things easily converted.

We also now, later on in our lives than we bargained for, have a 10 year old who lives with us, and we are now his legal guardians.

hope it's not to prying but could you give a backstory?

An important book on Python was lent by me. Never got it back. I was simply told it was utterly useless. So I bought it new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

SlowBlowin wrote: »

That’s awful but ye’re great people for taking in your relative and giving him the life he deserves.

I feel sorry for addicts, but they’re the most selfish destructive people going.

A very good friend of mine over here, an Irish tradesman with a great job and apartment etc became a degenerate drug addict and borrowed money off me twice with no intention of paying it back.

He’d let me stay at his gaff for two weeks when I split with my ex so the first time I thought nothing of it, the second time he rang me and I knew something was up but sort of felt obligated to him for putting me up.

Next thing I saw a picture of him in the paper with him wanted for robbing an elderly man at knifepoint. He’d gone full blown on crack and heroin; he’s doing a hefty sentence in prison now over it.

FTA69 wrote: »
    That’s awful but ye’re great people for taking in your relative and giving him the life he deserves.

I feel sorry for addicts, but they’re the most selfish destructive people going.

Ahh, in all fairness no they're not. Some of them have untreated mental illnesses.

And by the looks of it, she isn't in prison or had contact with Gardai so she never stole. I bet your tune would be different if it was for gambling or a shopping addiction.

Ahh, in all fairness no they're not. Some of them have untreated mental illnesses.

And by the looks of it, she isn't in prison or had contact with Gardai so she never stole. I bet your tune would be different if it was for gambling or a shopping addiction.

Look obviously everyone is different, I’m just relating to my own experiences of watching people drink themselves to death or bang sh*t up their arm while dragging their loved ones down with them with worry and expense and the rest of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Ye I know a woman who was a bit of a kleptomaniac. Once one of my mother's rings went missing after she'd been in the house and my mam knew it was her but never said anything.

Anyway she must have had a change of heart or realised it wasn't worth much because she returned the ring a few weeks later with the explanation that when my mam was wiping down the counter, the ring flew off it and automatically landed straight on her finger!

She is a nice lady really though. How could you not love someone who'd have the neck to come up with that excuse?? :pac: :D

• Advertisement

Look obviously everyone is different, I’m just relating to my own experiences of watching people drink themselves to death or bang sh*t up their arm while dragging their loved ones down with them with worry and expense and the rest of it.

There's also a misconception that addicts (specifically heroin) are mostly from the lower class. Is this true?

A very good friend of mine over here, an Irish tradesman with a great job and apartment etc became a degenerate drug addict and borrowed money off me twice with no intention of paying it back.

He’d let me stay at his gaff for two weeks when I split with my ex so the first time I thought nothing of it, the second time he rang me and I knew something was up but sort of felt obligated to him for putting me up.

Next thing I saw a picture of him in the paper with him wanted for robbing an elderly man at knifepoint. He’d gone full blown on crack and heroin; he’s doing a hefty sentence in prison now over it.

Did he steal from you while you were at his gaff? How much he borrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully, none

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I know a guy he's a recovering addict, a right hungry ****er.
    If you called to his house and had a coffee, he'd tell you how much it was worth in the local cafe.

The prick then has an imaginary friend who he hands his will and life over to every morning.

So if he robs or ****s someone over, it's not his fault because his imaginary friend willed it.

Another time he went to an old woman's place to put down a patio, seen old vintage farm machinery, suggested it was useless and charged her extra to take it away.
    Sold it on eBay cleared nearly a grand.

He robbed me a few times, too but eventually he ****ed up and karma roasted him.

I suggested that his magic sky fairy willed it...

We're no longer friends :D

Addict's or exe addict's are not to be trusted....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I worked as a self employed contactor a good few years ago and got ripped off to the tune of a thousand Euro by a "friend" , just would not pay up , always had an excuse.

The pox owed money everywhere but still lived the high life , however he was off sunning his bollix in Thailand for three weeks when his McMansion was broken into by an acquaintance who removed the stairs and floorboards from his house .

There's also a misconception that addicts (specifically heroin) are mostly from the lower class. Is this true?

There are heroin addicts of all classes, cocaine addiction transcends class. Alcoholism is absolutely rife amongst wealthy retired professionals because they’ve nothing else to do. Prescription drugs are another one.

Addiction is exacerbated by poverty but it’s something not at all confined to the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LogicusRex

whiskeyman wrote:

You can't be ironic with a kleptomaniac. They take things literally.

There are heroin addicts of all classes, cocaine addiction transcends class. Alcoholism is absolutely rife amongst wealthy retired professionals because they’ve nothing else to do. Prescription drugs are another one.

Addiction is exacerbated by poverty but it’s something not at all confined to the poor.

Then why do we never hear about heroin addicts in the middle class? I always hear about people using coke, weed but never heroin or valium,xanax. Is there a stigma against heroin use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I know a guy he's a recovering addict, a right hungry ****er.
    If you called to his house and had a coffee, he'd tell you how much it was worth in the local cafe.

The prick then has an imaginary friend who he hands his will and life over to every morning.

So if he robs or ****s someone over, it's not his fault because his imaginary friend willed it.

Another time he went to an old woman's place to put down a patio, seen old vintage farm machinery, suggested it was useless and charged her extra to take it away.
    Sold it on eBay cleared nearly a grand.

He robbed me a few times, too but eventually he ****ed up and karma roasted him.

I suggested that his magic sky fairy willed it...

We're no longer friends :D

Addict's or exe addict's are not to be trusted....

He believes in the sky fairy , has an imaginary friend and you believe in karma .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

He believes in the sky fairy , has an imaginary friend and you believe in karma .

No I don't believe in karma...

Where did I quote that ?

Advertisement