Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council: Standard btw Registered Teachers v Unregistered Teachers

• 18-02-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My family is moving to Ireland in the summer and we are really considering enrolling our kids in St. Kilians German school in Clonskeagh (ages 5&7). This is a really big decision for us because my OH speaks some German and it would be great helping the kids with a third language.

Anyway, I was speaking to other parents who told me that the primary school is a private school and that they don’t hire “real” teachers because they are not regulated by the Irish Government and so they can hire whoever they want. Is it normal in Ireland for teachers not to be registered with the teaching council and is there a difference in standard in schools where the teachers are register with the Teaching Council i.e. does it make a big difference or am I worried about nothing?

I checked the teaching Council website. If you type in the name German school in the search it comes up with the number PJS020. I could only find 5 teacher registered and three of them are registered to the secondary school. It’s quite a big school so that would mean there are only 3 registered teachers working there, does this sound right?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The second level school roll number is 60630W AFAIK it is fully recognised by the Department. I see at least 40 staff registered with the TC.

You can see inspection reports etc from the links on this page (scroll down).
    https://www.education.ie/en/find-a-school/School-Detail/?roll=60630W

It's possible the primary school has German qualified teachers, who may not have TC registration. I wouldn't take that as an indication of the quality of the teaching however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

spurious wrote: »
    The second level school roll number is 60630W AFAIK it is fully recognised by the Department. I see at least 40 staff registered with the TC.

You can see inspection reports etc from the links on this page (scroll down).
    https://www.education.ie/en/find-a-school/School-Detail/?roll=60630W

It's possible the primary school has German qualified teachers, who may not have TC registration. I wouldn't take that as an indication of the quality of the teaching however.

There are only a couple of German teachers but AFAIK most of the primary school teachers in that school are not "qualified" teachers in Ireland or Germany. There is one parent I know who told me that their teacher was an au pair before they started teaching in that school.

OP - I'm not a teacher but I think most people would agree that teaching in Ireland is a very respected profession. A teacher who is registered with the teaching council has studied specifically for that profession for several years. In order to be registered with the Teaching Council you need to have completed this training (in some instances they will recognise non Irish teachers). I know families that have moved home from European countries just so their kids are educated in Ireland. I'm not saying that teachers who are not registered with the Teaching Council are bad teachers but you have to ask the question why are they not registered and why is the school hiring teachers who are not "qualified" teachers?

It can happen that some teachers who are not registered with the teaching council are good teachers but I know other people who have been handicapped because the teacher wasn't pedagogically competent enough.

Advertisement