Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memories of corporal punishment

1789101113»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

4ensic15 wrote: »
    All you said was that you went to the toilet with the teacher's permission. There must be more too it. You probably took to long or smirked when you did it.

You clearly didn't listen at school.

It's actually amusing when the trolls get exposed as idiots on this thread.

Looking at some of the realitykeeper's other ultra-Catholic and off-the-wall posts, I can confirm that he is seriously regretting creating this thread. He opened a can of worms that he cannot control. He never got smacked by the holy nuns and brothers but he is afraid of bread. Not consecrated bread though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

All you said was that you went to the toilet with the teacher's permission. There must be more too it. You probably took to long or smirked when you did it.
    Nope, he met me on the way into the loo, so 'took too long' doesn't come into it. I don't recall any smirking, but even if there was, do think a child smiling is justification for hitting them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That is a matter of opinion but as I was saying, some people lie. It is wrong to lie and to do so simply because you are against the religious would suggest a measure of hypocracy.

If you don't stop these bullshit accusations against everyone, you're not long for this AH world. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Back then they didn't need an excuse, just an opportunity. Of course you won't believe that but it's true.

Children`s schooling did not go on for decades, little longer than ten years perhaps. However, in turning against the religious, Irish people seem to have turned against God also. The decades of misery I refered to pertained to Russia following it`s rejection of God. Most people born in that country a hundred years ago would have suffered their entire lives because it was Godless. No wonder Russia has returned to God. In rejecting God, Ireland is setting itself up for a miserable future, this would have been obvious had you paid attention to what I posted.
    No they suffered because it was a Communist regime where you and your family could be thrown into a Gulag quicker than the nuns and priests were throwing women into laundries. If you think Russia has returned to God you are more deluded than I gave you credit for. Do you seriously think Putin bows down to the Pope?

• Advertisement

Recliner wrote: »

To the OP and fellow trolls, I'm out. You're to be pitied and I'm fresh out of pity today.
    In fairness though, the ridiculous levels the posts are falling too are quite funny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The religious mask has slipped, another sad deluded apologist for the abusers who tormented, raped and murdered children. I'm amazed people like you still think your church did no wrong but the fact you only try to defend the abuse by using an anonymous forum says it all about your conviction. I suggest you say your bs in a social setting, see how that works out for you.

The anti religious mask has slipped. Bigotry has no place in a civilized society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

do you honestly believe that the after effects of abuse stop as soon as someone walks out of the school gates for the last time? That was the "decades" I refer to. But you know that don't you. You just attempt to twist everything to suit your own narrative. And to be honest, you're not even good at that. You've been called out on everything you've said, you've been provided with numerous examples and it's still not enough for you.

Certainly things we take for granted like reading, basic calculations, some of our general knowledge and understanding of ancient history and the world around us are thanks to the holy and dedicated religious who gave their lives and sacrificed everything for the betterment of children, some appreciative, others brats.

Do you know what's such a damaging thing to do? To call an abused person a liar.

Ah but it`s not abusive to call a liar a liar. That`s called telling the truth. As for those who really were abused, I understand one must crib and moan and claim to be traumatized and so on if one is to optimize one`s chances of getting compensation but I would be firmly of the view that the real prize is in the simple act of forgiveness. Certainly, people who have gone on to have families, built businesses and sucessful careers are well able to turn on the water works and earn an Oscar when it suits them but the people I admire are those who keep a stiff upper lip and focus on their own faults and failings (things within their control) instead of obcessing on the sins of others.
    You're to be pitied and I'm fresh out of pity today.

On pity, I don`t go in for that. I think feeling sorry for oneself is a pointless waste of time and feeling sorry for others is really something with an order condescendi. With children starving and dying of cureable disceases in this world, I find little time or inclination to spare a second thought for first world adults seeking money for abuse they may or may not have suffered decades ago. We all have trials in life so rather than indulge in self pity, I recommend thinking of those less fortunate than yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The anti religious mask has slipped. Bigotry has no place in a civilized society.

Religion has no place in modern society.
    Now away with your arcane views and your paedophile priests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Nope, he met me on the way into the loo, so 'took too long' doesn't come into it. I don't recall any smirking, but even if there was, do think a child smiling is justification for hitting them?

There is a big difference between smiling and smirking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

With children starving and dying of cureable disceases in this world, I find little time or inclination to spare a second thought for first world adults seeking money for abuse they may or may not have suffered decades ago.

This is great stuff OP. I wonder who you really are...Looking at your other ultra religious posts I see that one of your main motivations for being so pro-Christian is for economic reasons.
    As a Christian, I think the Christian world was highly successful when one considers the Americas, Australia and all Europe and Russia came under Christendom and any inroads by non Christian groups in the western world coincided with the growth of secularism and the slow demise of Christianity. In other words, the western world will regress in influence, power, prestige, as well as in the health and wealth of its citizens as Christianity retreats. Russia has learned where that ends so they have returned to Christianity in a big way.

Nonsense of course but I think you believe it since you bring Russia up a lot. Not much empathy above for starving/sick children outside your western world eh?

Now tell us, please do...why were you lucky enough not to have suffered any corporal punishment in school when people around you were receiving it daily? Why did you "retain tremendous respect for one teacher who beat and terrified kids but got the job done"? That is the key to all this I feel. Please don't ignore the hard questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One deserves to be responded to with physical violence on a 7 year old and the other doesnt? Is that the difference. There is a fierce bang of victim blaming coming from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No, clearly have no idea as to what bigotry means. Btw the abuse of children has no place in civilized society yet throughout this thread you have sought to justify it and call those that experienced it liars. You are either an apologist for abuse or a troll .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Regardless, does a child deserve to be physically beaten repeatedly and humiliated in front of others, for either smirking or smiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

An bhfuil cead agam dul amach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Edgware wrote:
    An bhfuil cead agam dul amach?

Still sneering the experience of people on this thread, I see.

You started this thread for people to share their experiences of corporal punishment and in your own words, you said it could be cathartic for them. Your op actually came across as genuine and empathic. However, you have spent this thread nit picking at people's stories, making them out to be liars and downplaying the abuse they suffered.

It's your bigotry and bias that has been revealed. Getting people to open up about abuse they experienced, only to turn around and blame them, is disgusting. You turned a thread about corporal punishment into one defending the Church at all costs.

If you wanted to defend the Catholic Church you should have been honest and started a thread called "Corporal punishment doled out by the Church on children was 99% deserved".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

With children starving and dying of cureable disceases in this world, I find little time or inclination to spare a second thought for first world adults seeking money for abuse they may or may not have suffered decades ago. We all have trials in life so rather than indulge in self pity, I recommend thinking of those less fortunate than yourself.

Mod: You've had your fun. But when you start denigrating victims of abuse, you really show your true colours.

Take a forced holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement