Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread without salt

• 19-02-2019 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi everyone,

Is there any supermarket or bakery chain that offers bread without salt?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never heard of any. Salt adds flavour and also helps the bread to rise, so it won't be as nice as bread with salt. You might try baking your own - there are recipes online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I've never heard of any. Salt adds flavour and also helps the bread to rise, so it won't be as nice as bread with salt. You might try baking your own - there are recipes online.

I dunno about in stores but I had salt-less bread in Florence...there's a whole historical tale that the Florentines made salt free bread as a f-you to Pisa who allegedly set up a blockade on their salt supply yearrrrs ago. Probably not the actual reason but it's a fun story :D While it tasted somewhat bland, the bread itself had a great texture and lightness to it and was actually perfect for dipping into delicious olive oil and yummy balsamic.

From a nerdy point of view, besides adding flavour AFAIK salt regulates yeast activity and helps make a crustier crust.

Hopefully I haven't bored you to death at this point :pac:

Advertisement