Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best by / Use by dates

Options
  • 19-02-2019 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

I have noticed on some Veg like carrots, spuds etc that the packaging doesn't have a use by or best by date.
    I thought all foods required this information - I know with veg you can tell by sight mostly but are they exempted from displaying this info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/shelf_life/best_before_and_use_by.html
    Do all foods require a shelf-life declaration?
    No, a shelf-life declaration i.e. a ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date, is not required for the following foods:

Fresh fruit and vegetables, including potatoes, which have not been peeled, cut or similarly treated. However, this does not apply to sprouting seeds and similar products such as legume sprouts which do require a date of minimum durability
    Wines, liqueur wines, sparkling wines, aromatised wines, and similar products obtained from fruit other than grapes, and beverages falling within CN code 2206 00 obtained from grapes or grape musts
    Beverages containing 10 % or more by volume of alcohol
    Bakers’ or pastry cooks’ wares which, given the nature of their content, are normally consumed within 24 hours of their manufacture
    Vinegar
    Cooking salt
    Solid sugar
    Confectionery products consisting almost solely of flavoured and/or coloured sugars
    Chewing gums and similar chewing products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

nice one - thanks.

Advertisement