Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong balance - what a farce of a system.

Options
  • 19-02-2019 12:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is hard to believe but this problem seems to be getting worse.

It is quite incredible and unacceptable that one of Ireland’s supposed premier banks cannot provide an accurate and reliable balance for its customers.

If a bank has not got such a basic competence how can customers trust it for anything?

It is also completely unacceptable that Bank of Ireland are not upfront with their customers on their inability to proved such basic and essential information.

Last night when I checked my ‘balance’ I had €130 (this figure I knew immediately was wrong) a short few minutes later it was around €50 - again I knew this was wrong.

This morning I am overdrawn by €30!

How anyone is expected to be satisfied with a ‘service’ like this is beyond me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

dub45 wrote: »
    It is hard to believe but this problem seems to be getting worse.

It is quite incredible and unacceptable that one of Ireland’s supposed premier banks cannot provide an accurate and reliable balance for its customers.

If a bank has not got such a basic competence how can customers trust it for anything?

It is also completely unacceptable that Bank of Ireland are not upfront with their customers on their inability to proved such basic and essential information.

Last night when I checked my ‘balance’ I had €130 (this figure I knew immediately was wrong) a short few minutes later it was around €50 - again I knew this was wrong.

This morning I am overdrawn by €30!

How anyone is expected to be satisfied with a ‘service’ like this is beyond me!

Hi dub45,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Our online system is live and changes as we receive information from retailers. As mentioned when we were discussing this with you previously (here) we pass on all feedback we receive and we are working towards implementing faster and more efficient technologies to improve the customer experience.
    As any updates become available we'll be sure to let all of our customers know.
    If you're unhappy with this you can raise this as an official complaint and I've given a link here that shows how you can do this.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi dub45,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Our online system is live and changes as we receive information from retailers. As mentioned when we were discussing this with you previously (here) we pass on all feedback we receive and we are working towards implementing faster and more efficient technologies to improve the customer experience.
    As any updates become available we'll be sure to let all of our customers know.
    If you're unhappy with this you can raise this as an official complaint and I've given a link here that shows how you can do this.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Your system is not fit for purpose plain and simple.

Your system should of course change as you receive information from retailers - the farce of Bank of Ireland’s system is that it keeps changing and the customer never knows when the merry go round will stop.

There was no charge from any retailer outstanding which would justify the balance on my account provided to me by Bank of Ireland being incorrect by more than €100.

BOI reps trot out the same old PR blather week in week out without any regard for this sham of a service’s effects on customers.

What exactly would an official complaint achieve other than waste my time?

Can you please detail exactly what I can expect from spending my time making an official complaint?

Are you suggesting that BOI management need to be told that they should be providing correct balances to customers?

Can you please answer my questions in plain English rather than tired PR blather?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

Dub45 it's like banging your head against a brick wall with these lot.  The fact they give such impersonal cut and paste responses makes it all the more infuriating.  

When they say that they will pass on feedback - you know that isnt going to make a single solitary pick of difference to anyone or anything.  If it did you would have a higher representative on here answering questions.  

I bet that you will never get a BOI rep on here giving you a response in their own words, something which they could be held somewhat accoutable for instead of vague blanket statements.

I agree totally but it’s important that customers see the contempt that BOI have for us and that it remains in the public eye.

It defies credulity that one of Ireland’s supposed premier banks hasn’t got the basic competence to provide an accurate balance for their customers.

And it is totally unacceptable that they suggest complaining about this abject failure when they know full well it would be a total waste of time.

PR blather and cynicism is a shocking and unacceptable response to a real issue for customers.

Hi dub45,

I can understand that you're frustrated by this and as mentioned in our previous replies there can be a number of reasons that a transaction wouldn't show up straight away or duplicate causing your balance to be effected. These would include our book keeping that is done on our systems over night every working day and the way retailers process transactions.
    Our complaints department regularly review and analyse customer complaints to identify trends and issues that we can improve on when updating any products or systems.
    I suggested raising a formal complaint as you are unhappy with the level of information we can provide here.

In relation to the specific €100 discrepancy that you mentioned in your post, if this cannot be explained by any of the factors I have mentioned I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be more than happy to check your account to see what caused this.

I hope this has been some help and thanks again,
    Darren.  

• Advertisement

Hi dub45,

I can understand that you're frustrated by this and as mentioned in our previous replies there can be a number of reasons that a transaction wouldn't show up straight away or duplicate causing your balance to be effected. These would include our book keeping that is done on our systems over night every working day and the way retailers process transactions.
    Our complaints department regularly review and analyse customer complaints to identify trends and issues that we can improve on when updating any products or systems.
    I suggested raising a formal complaint as you are unhappy with the level of information we can provide here.

In relation to the specific €100 discrepancy that you mentioned in your post, if this cannot be explained by any of the factors I have mentioned I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be more than happy to check your account to see what caused this.

I hope this has been some help and thanks again,
    Darren.  

So making a complaint helps Bank of Ireland detect a trend? That’s a big help to me and other customers isn’t it?

So beyond adding to a trend what exactly will making a formal complaint achieve - it won’t change anything will it?

I would have thought that the lack of a basic competence to provide an accurate balance would be trending for a considerable time.

Bank of Ireland have an obvious strategy of attempting to individualise their appalling failure to provide accurate balances to customers rather than admitting that the balances they provide are totally unreliable.

This has been going on for ages and ages and BOI desperately attempt to keep it under covers instead of being honest with their customers about their failings.

You consistently and disgracefully blame retailers for your failings yet the “dreadful’ behaviour of these retailers apparently doesn’t affect customers of other banks. Amazing!

So making a complaint helps Bank of Ireland detect a trend? That’s a big help to me and other customers isn’t it?

So beyond adding to a trend what exactly will making a formal complaint achieve - it won’t change anything will it?

I would have thought that the lack of a basic competence to provide an accurate balance would be trending for a considerable time.

Bank of Ireland have an obvious strategy of attempting to individualise their appalling failure to provide accurate balances to customers rather than admitting that the balances they provide are totally unreliable.

This has been going on for ages and ages and BOI desperately attempt to keep it under covers instead of being honest with their customers about their failings.

You consistently and disgracefully blame retailers for your failings yet the “dreadful’ behaviour of these retailers apparently doesn’t affect customers of other banks. Amazing!

Can I get a response to this please?

Bank of Ireland have an obvious strategy  of attempting to individualise their appalling failure to provide accurate balances to customers rather than admitting that the balances they provide are totally unreliable.

Can I get a response to this please?

Thanks for getting back to dub45. There would be no further information that we would have available in relation to this. If you have any questions on a different query I'd be more than happy help you as much as I can here.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

So BOI consider it acceptable to make a suggestion that will do nothing other than waste my time and I am simply supposed to accept that?

Have BOI no standards whatsoever? You constantly attempt to evade perfectly justifiable queries from customers about the abject inability to provide an accurate balance and you expect customers to put up with that?

So again I ask why did a supposedly reputable organization make a suggestion to me about making a complaint in the full knowledge that it would achieve nothing other than waste my time?

Are Bank of Ireland so arrogant that you consider yourselves unaccountable?

So BOI consider it acceptable to make a suggestion that will do nothing other than waste my time and I am simply supposed to accept that?

Have BOI no standards whatsoever?  You constantly attempt to evade perfectly justifiable queries from customers  about the abject inability to provide an accurate balance and you expect customers to put up with that?

So again I ask why did a supposedly reputable organization make a suggestion to me about making a complaint in the full knowledge that it would achieve nothing other than waste my time?

Are Bank of Ireland so arrogant that you consider yourselves unaccountable?

I'm sorry for any confusion dub45, I asked you to raise a complaint as the feedback we would receive through this department would inform any changes that would be made in the future and have informed changes that have been made in the past.
    In relation to your original query I have given all the information on what would cause your balance to be incorrect and as mentioned if the factors that I have mentioned would not apply to your specific situation I'd than ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be happy to look into your account information and confirm what exactly caused this on your own account as for security reasons we wouldn't have account access through Board.ie.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

No point in asking the team here, or branch staff. They don't know the problem or solution. Its a design problem that got worse if when point of sale transactions increased in frequency. IT staff would be aware of it, but will take a huge effort to fix. They are replacing their legacy system now so it will be sorted then. Not sure when this project will be finished

Ally Dick wrote: »
    No point in asking the team here, or branch staff. They don't know the problem or solution. Its a design problem that got worse if when point of sale transactions increased in frequency. IT staff would be aware of it, but will take a huge effort to fix. They are replacing their legacy system now so it will be sorted then. Not sure when this project will be finished

Surely this is information that Bank of Ireland should be giving their customers - there is every point in asking here - this is Bank of Ireland supposedly communicating with their customers - and what we see here is the day to day reality of what customers have to put up with and Bank of Ireland - supposedly one of Ireland’s premier banks being evasive and disingenuous on their inability to provide a reliable account balance and believing they are accountable to nobody.

Advertisement