Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issue with school application

Options
  • 19-02-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I applied for my daughter to go to same secondary school as my eldest daughter 18 months before she starts secondary school.

But I got a letter from the school saying that She is on a waiting list and more than likely will not get a place.

I didnt apply anywhere else as I was sure that she would get a place based on her sibling going there.

I do not think I have ever been more anxious and worried in my life.

I am not sure what my next steps should be. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Get a copy of the school enrolment policy and see if it makes any reference to siblings in terms of order or priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

As a first step, you should contact the school and ask how far down the waiting list she is ?
    You will know when if she has a chance of a place coming up.

I don't know what its like where you live, but in Dublin many people accept places in two schools or accept a place in a school when waiting for a place in another school. The waiting lists all move a lot in 6th class, especially when the assessment tests are on. That's when people decide which offer to take.

Did you only apply when your daughter was in 5th class. A lot of schools have already passed the closing date for entries and offered places by then.

Its very worrying but don't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

My daughter is in 5th class and got an offer for Secondary school before Christmas. Some of the boys in her class were offered there places to the local boys secondary at the end of 3rd class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Ring first to make sure it’s not mistake as usually siblings are given preference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

eildar wrote: »
    My daughter is in 5th class and got an offer for Secondary school before Christmas. Some of the boys in her class were offered there places to the local boys secondary at the end of 3rd class.

3rd class? That is bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

3rd class? That is bonkers.

Yes it really is. The parents at the time couldn't believe they were getting offers so early.

Advertisement