Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Bayern Munich, Round of 16 1st Leg, RTE2 & BT Sport 2, 8pm

• 19-02-2019 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Liverpool_Vs_Bayern_Munich_630_630.jpg

1st Leg Match Odds

Liverpool 11/10
    Draw 12/5
    Bayern Munich 5/2

A tasty tie in store tonight as Jurgen Klopp gets reacquainted with his old foes from back home, Bayern Munich.

Liverpool will be without Van Dijk through suspension and Gomez through injury, while Lovren faces a late fitness test. Shaqiri and Wijnaldum will also be assessed but Firmino has overcome his virus. Bayern will miss Boateng due to a stomach bug, while Coman is a doubt, though Kovac says he expects him to be okay.

With the firepower these sides possess, and the key absences in defence, goals seem likely. Bayern have looked particularly suspect at the back of late, conceding 6 goals in their last 3 games which is not the kind of record you want to have before facing Liverpool's front three. Bayern's best defence may be to rely on their own offence, with Lewandowski looking menacing up top, Coman proving a handful, and Goretzka stepping up with some big moments in recent times.

Observing the FBs will be particulary interesting as all of them pack an attacking threat. Robertson and Kimmich bombing forward on the same flank is a duel I'm particularly looking forward to, assuming Kimmich features there and not midfield.

I can't see Bayern's defence keeping Liverpool at bay and I suspect Neuer might have to produce some heroics on more than one occasion. With Liverpool missing VVD and Gomez, Lewandowski and co. should be presented with more opportunities than if they were playing. I'll say 2-1 to Liverpool.

What's your verdict on the night ahead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As long as Bayern turn up and don't fold like Dortmund last week they should still be in this tie going back to Munich.

Would still fancy Liverpool to get a win tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is Tommy Tiernan a Liverpool fan? Just saw him come out of the club store with I presume his son so guess they're going.

I think, unsurprisingly, that there's going to be goals in this one. Mané v Kimmich could be a mismatch going forward but he's a dangerous player to counter against us so a little wary of that threat. Then there's 8-goals-in-the-group-stages Lewandowski up against our 4th choice CB and a midfielder presumably. We played City and Roma off the park last season when the first leg was at Anfield and I think we have to try and go the same tonight. We need a few goals in hand going to Munich next month.

It's been months since the last CL game, 10 days since any game, Anfield should be buzzing and pitch will be wet for slick passes and counters. I'm going for pints to take the edge off. I'll go Liverpool win 3-1 but will take a win of any sort right now and hope we bring the noise tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Buzzing fpr the game tonight. Mané to score 2 goals in a 2-0 victoru for liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bayern not that good this season but still have huge quality all over the pitch. Liverpool flying high but this will be a tough game especially without potential POTY Van Dijk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

rob316 wrote: »
    Bayern not that good this season but still have huge quality all over the pitch. Liverpool flying high but this will be a tough game especially without potential POTY Van Dijk.

Mane to be motm in a 2 goal win :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

s35j73DE?format=jpg&name=orig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bayern's team:
    Bayern Munich XI: Neuer; Kimmich, Sule, Hummels, Alaba; Martinez, Thiago; Gnabry, James, Coman; Lewandowski.

Goretzka has missed out altogether due to an ankle injury which is a blow for Bayern as he's been in great form. Coman passed fit.

Think Klopp made a smart call going with Keita. Fancy he'll enjoy facing Bayern again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As long as Bayern turn up and don't fold like Dortmund last week they should still be in this tie going back to Munich.

Would still fancy Liverpool to get a win tonight though.

I don't expect Bayern to fold, they don't do that kind of thing. They may not be better on the night and they may lose, but I don't expect to see anything like Dortmund's 2nd half which I was really surprised with tbh. They looked the more dangerous team in the first half.

I see Liverpool with a slight advantage, maybe, but Bayern have too much experience at that level to be rolling over. Anything could happen. Been looking forward to this one since the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

4-2 to Liverpool tonight. Mane, Salah, Keita, Salah again.

Return will be 2-1 to Bayern. Firmino.

Having lived in Munich for a year or so, I hate Bayern with a passion. 1999 final still one of the worst matches I watched, didn't know who I wanted to lose more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

My fear is that Lewandowski gets one of the center-halves sent off early for a pull-down outside the box - Matip probably as he's not the quickest. That would be an absolute show-stopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

8-10 wrote: »
    Is Tommy Tiernan a Liverpool fan? Just saw him come out of the club store with I presume his son so guess they're going.

Yep, he's a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bayern very much an aging team and not a patch of teams of the past. Fancy Liverpool to win this one comfortably.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

8-10 wrote: »

Yes. He was on my flight back from one of the games last season. Enjoy the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Comfortable win for Liverpool, even with their absentees at the back.
    Can see them winning by three goals tonight.

The forward trio will have far too much pace and trickery for Bayern.

Bayern are an ageing team now and their defence looks slow.

Even Martinez as the covering player in central midfield isn't very mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Silly from Neuer, sometimes you just need to get rid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

George already mixing up Mane and Keita..

ElChe32 wrote: »
    George already mixing up Mane and Keita..

And Kimmich with Suele.

Good spell for Bayern.

That's crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

RTE player won't play the match... ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Some press by bayern

You can see Neuer making a hash of it and scoring an OG or something. Though you could nearly say the same for Allison :p

Blow to Bayern. Kimmich booked and misses the return leg.

That was a chance for Mane. Thought he'd bury that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Some of this crazy, suicidal passing involving the keepers can only be described as "f**kacting".

That was a chance for Mane. Thought he'd bury that.

Have to hit the target there

That was great skill from Salah. Almost conjured up a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

rizzodun wrote: »
    RTE player won't play the match... ffs
    You're lucky It's rubbish.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Good high quality game. Only thing missing is goals given both defences were flagged as vulnerable before kick off.

• Advertisement

Some decent play by both teams, but only Liverpool are turning it into real chances, with Mane's being the best chance of the half.

A fascinating match, Bayern will be delighted with the way it's gone so far.

Henderson has been brilliant, a captain's performance out of him. Robertson playing his usual super stuff as well.

Decent game IMO, all it's missing is that final touch from Liverpool. Bayern don't look to be creating a whole lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Brilliant first half of football.

Lewandowski's been kept very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Lewandowski's been kept very quiet.

Would have been in except for Matip getting to the cross and lifting it high. Can't think of another chance he had.

• Advertisement

It's not bad I think, Liverpool with more chances but Bayern keeping it slow, avoiding frantic exchanges. Not the strongest Bayern 11 I've ever seen but they're doing ok.

I'd bring Ribery for Gnabry last half hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazed that Sule doesn’t go up for corners. He’s massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

George Hamilton really needs to be retired, his player ID failure rate is getting silly.

George Hamilton really needs to be retired, his player ID failure rate is getting silly.

That's not just a George Hamilton thing, it's endemic within RTE. Watching LOI on RTE for example is infuriating to the extent that i think they do it on purpose as a running joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I'd take a 1-0 here,despite us all thinking this was going to be a goalfest,it ain't

• Advertisement

Good defending by Fabinho on Lewandowski.

Good defending by Fabinho on Lewandowski.

And again on Coman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Brady slating that German lad on 360000 a week at Arsenal. Theres a first.

Ray and George have decided to leave early I guess.

Ah, they're back.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Snoozefest of a second half.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Thought Bayern dropped a bit deeper in the second half, worked their arses off defensively, but it meant they created next to nothing.

But it also mean they limited Liverpool in attack, they weren't able to create the kind of chances they did in the first half.

It all got a bit sloppy as Liverpool tried more unlikely ways to break them down, and kind of petered out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Borefest from start to finish. Bayern in particular showed zero ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Will take that. Better than a 2-0 loss.

Turtyturd wrote: »

No shít Sherlock :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Turtyturd wrote: »

BruisedYawningAchillestang-small.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement