Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Bayern Munich, Round of 16 1st Leg, RTE2 & BT Sport 2, 8pm

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Borefest from start to finish. Bayern in particular showed zero ambition.

First half was good but I think Bayern were happy with a 0-0 from then on. Didn’t really get forward at all in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bayern much better defensively than in recent games. Didn't think they had it in them to come away from Anfield with a clean sheet. Mane's first half misses proved costly on the night. Kovac will be pretty happy but Liverpool very capable of scoring on the counter in Munich. Sets the second leg up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Enjoyed the first half, not so much the second, frustrating to watch. Liverpool will be happy to have not conceded but they should be going to the next leg at least one up. Henderson was really good but the link up between midfield and the front three seemed poor and it just didn't fall right for the front three when they did get within shooting distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They shut down firmino and he was Liverpools spark in the first half.
    Experienced quality sides will do that.

Major writing off of bayern before this which I found a bit ridiculous.

The 2nd leg will be a much more open affair for both side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Borefest from start to finish. Bayern in particular showed zero ambition.
    Agreed. Considering the hype and build up, and the history of both those sides in the competition, it was pretty "ho-hum". Hopefully the second leg will be a bit more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    They shut down firmino and he was Liverpools spark in the first half.
    Experienced quality sides will do that.

Major writing off of bayern before this which I found a bit ridiculous.

The 2nd leg will be a much more open affair for both side.

I'd say Bobby was just shagged. Had the same virus VVD and Milner had last week and was a doubt for tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fascinating first half, boring second half. Munich were happy with the draw. Advantage Liverpool. Game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disappointed in Lewandowski tonight. I've been a fan of his but to be considered one of the best strikers in the world you need to offer more than that, even with little service. Find it hard to believe Mbappe, Kane, Aguero etc. would have been that anonymous.

Suppose we should wait and see how he does against VVD in Munich. That was the duel I wanted to see tonight most of all. Based on tonight I'm thinking VVD wins that battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Liverpool should have taken one of their chances in the first half to take a 1-0 lead to Germany.
    In the second half they were reduced to long pot shots from players who probably wouldn't even try it in training. I am talking about you Matip!
    Bayern offered nothing up front. I'd dare to say that Kimmich's moustache was more threatening than Lewandowski.
    Bayern will have to come out of their shell in the second leg, surely meaning that Liverpool will score.
    Question then is simply, would 1 be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bayern very much an aging team and not a patch of teams of the past. Fancy Liverpool to win this one comfortably.

Surprised with Liverpool not being able to take Bayern. I wonder if they're starting to choke as the pressure builds.

Having said that 1 goal and Bayern win need at least 2, still very much in Liverpools hands.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Surprised with Liverpool not being able to take Bayern. I wonder if they're starting to choke as the pressure builds.

Having said that 1 goal and Bayern win need at least 2, still very much in Liverpools hands.
    And 1 goal for Bayern and none for Liverpool and Bayern are through

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And 1 goal for Bayern and none for Liverpool and Bayern are through

Happy days

Yeah it's basically a free hit for Liverpool. 4 league games before the 2nd leg though. Gotta keep segmenting the remaining games. Massive 4 games to concentrate on, then Bayern 2nd leg should be a welcome distraction before the next set.

I'm happy enough after last night. Bayern's eagerness to waste time and celebrate a 0-0 draw seemed a bit odd though. With 10mins to go they could have properly gone for it. An away goal would have been massive and if it doesn't work out and they lose one on the break then a 1-0 loss doesn't hurt them that much more than a 0-0. Risk reward seemed higher to go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

To me it looked like Bayern were happy in the end and I reckon its because they felt they executed their game plan and it came off. Sure they would have preferred to score a sneaky goal, but keeping it slow and calm, keeping the crowd quiet and give nothing away must have been their target the way they were playing. And they achieved that.

In three weeks time Goretzka will be back and Ribery nearer to match fitness and maybe even Robben ok for 10 or 20 minutes. Its still a 50:50 but Bayern will be thinking they achieved their objective on the night and massaged the odds in there favour a little.

Unfortunately not much in it for us spectators. Eagerly anticipated CL tie and no goals on the night, not even in the other game. Meh.

Edit: I think Klopp gave a fair assessment:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

monkey9 wrote: »
    Fascinating first half, boring second half. Munich were happy with the draw. Advantage Liverpool. Game on.

How is it “advantage Liverpool” exactly?

Munich have the slight advantage being at home but I'd fancy Liverpool to score if back to full strength. So it's a tough one to call. Should make for a fascinating game.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    How is it “advantage Liverpool” exactly?

I wouldn't say it's advantage Liverpool but I can guess that the other poster is referring to the fact Liverpool can now progress by either drawing or winning on the night.

Bayern had a good chance to score last night with a weekend Liverpool back line. 4th choice CB, CM playing beside him, RB just back from injury and Robertson was poor by his standards last night. Would have been a good night to test the defense but they didn't really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That is how you d'ont collapse at home on a big European night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

To me it looked like Bayern were happy in the end and I reckon its because they felt they executed their game plan and it came off. Sure they would have preferred to score a sneaky goal, but keeping it slow and calm, keeping the crowd quiet and give nothing away must have been their target the way they were playing. And they achieved that.
    <snip>
    also, you have to remember that that Bayern defence isnt the quickest and even in less dynamic moments, formerly ultra reliable Hummels has made a number of individual stupid errors over the season either missing a tackle or just passing to the opposition needlessly in dangerous areas. Neuer is coming back from a very long injuiry and he also made some stupid mistakes over the few games he has played.

In the build up to the game LOTS was made of the crowd being a 12th man and Liverpool playing like a tornado ripping the bayern defense to shreds in the chaos.
    Last year man city lost 3-0 at Anfield with 66% of the possession, which nicely shows what can happen if you let Liverpool get up and running.

But yesterday, Hummels managed to concentrate for 90 minutes, Martinez put in a savage shift, Neuer didnt do anything stupid and kimmich was his reliable self without doing anything spectacular. The liverpool 12th man dissappeared after about 3 minutes and the promised chaos was reasonably manageable.

From a Bayern perspective the 0-0 scoreline does perfectly, as a loss at Anfield would have meant chasing the tie in Munich, thats against Van Dijk back for Liverpool and then leaving yourself open at the back (a slow lumbering back line) for counter attacks.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's advantage Liverpool but I can guess that the other poster is referring to the fact Liverpool can now progress by either drawing or winning on the night.

Bayern had a good chance to score last night with a weekend Liverpool back line. 4th choice CB, CM playing beside him, RB just back from injury and Robertson was poor by his standards last night. Would have been a good night to test the defense but they didn't really.

That makes sense. Key players back for the next leg.

But Bayern are the bookies favourites to go through and 75% of away teams that draw 0-0 in the first leg go through. https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/champions-league-match-predictions/D3E2R38B3CRB5ZZX

Liverpool should have scored a goal at home. A win away will do it but it needs to be a score draw, not just a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

A not bad result for both teams really, Munich the favourites to win at home so the pressure is all on them now, tough game for Liverpool but if they can grab a goal would have a good chance of progressing. At least they are still in the tie and didn't get beaten at home in the first leg :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised how negative Bayern were, always passing the ball backwards from their halfway line and further up.

In the build up to the game LOTS was made of the crowd being a 12th man and Liverpool playing like a tornado ripping the bayern defense to shreds in the chaos.
    Last year man city lost 3-0 at Anfield with 66% of the possession, which nicely shows what can happen if you let Liverpool get up and running.

But yesterday, Hummels managed to concentrate for 90 minutes, Martinez put in a savage shift, Neuer didnt do anything stupid and kimmich was his reliable self without doing anything spectacular. The liverpool 12th man dissappeared after about 3 minutes and the promised chaos was reasonably manageable.

There is no 12th man at Anfield anymore. Its a terrible atmosphere. But many of the top premier league clubs have gone that way over the last few years.

The Bayern defence had no real pressure when in possession. Their confidence playing out of the backline was amazing, Neuer chipping passes over the Liverpool attackers and the full backs playing passes within inches of the sideline. Impressive stuff.

There is no 12th man at Anfield anymore. Its a terrible atmosphere. But many of the top premier league clubs have gone that way over the last few years.

The Bayern defence had no real pressure when in possession. Their confidence playing out of the backline was amazing, Neuer chipping passes over the Liverpool attackers and the full backs playing passes within inches of the sideline. Impressive stuff.

Neuer only had a 69% pass success rate last night according to Who Scored. Wouldn't think that's overly impressive is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

1981 all over again!!!,0-0 @ anfield,1-1 in Munich beat RM 1-0 in final. SIMPLES

EDIT; IT WAS A SEMI FINAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Neuer only had a 69% pass success rate last night according to Who Scored. Wouldn't think that's overly impressive is it?

Poster's point was about the confidence and mostly successful way in which Buyern played from defence, pulling out a stat based on 1 player's individual performance has no bearing on his point.
    They had one incredible move in the 2nd half which involved what seemed like 20+ passes from tight situation in defence which eventually led to a chance, stunning possession-based interplay & movement from their defence & midfield. Was similar to our goal versus City in league.

garra wrote: »
    Poster's point was about the confidence and mostly successful way in which Buyern played from defence, pulling out a stat based on 1 player's individual performance has no bearing on his point.
    They had one incredible move in the 2nd half which involved what seemed like 20+ passes from tight situation in defence which eventually led to a chance, stunning possession-based interplay & movement from their defence & midfield. Was similar to our goal versus City in league.

Yeah I think that stat is misleading, not even sure how accurate it is?

I was just making a general statement on their technical ability to work it out of defence with complete confidence in not giving the ball away in such a risky area.

There is no 12th man at Anfield anymore. Its a terrible atmosphere.

There was last season, and the PSG game this campaign.

Last night, not a good atmosphere, but that doesn't mean it's gone. Had this been the second leg and a must win you might have seen a bus meet which was one of the main reasons for a strong 12th man atmosphere v City and Roma last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For a while I thought the Volume in my TV was broken. Could hear nothing.

For a while I thought the Volume in my TV was broken. Could hear nothing.

Yeah as others said in the Liverpool thread sometimes the tv companies lower it for commentary.

It was definitely louder than a typical league game and louder than the likes of the Red Star game in the group, but the second half saw a drop for sure. Mainly down to the team frustrating the crowd with missed chances and Bayern's timewasting which Kovac's now admits was deliberate.

Regardless, it's set up to be a cracker of a second leg as neither team can accept the same sort of performance

Advertisement