Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator hypocrisy needs to end

Options
  • 19-02-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭

I find it wrong that you can’t report the many, many numerous posts that ARE FAR WORSE THAN WHAT THE REASONS THE MODS PERMANENTLY BANNED ME FOR.

I was banned for stating I didn’t know what Reddit was (which was an accurate statement on my part) claiming it was trolling. Then, after the mod realized it was an insipid reason for banning me (IMO), I was then given other inaccurate reasons why my ban became permanent. I did not appeal the ban in the dispute resolution area because I knew it would be a losing cause.

But I still read the US Politics forum and was instructed in my ban… “We have also made it clear that the report function exists to alert mods to breaches of the forum rules.”

I wish to do this!

Should not equal justice under the rules be followed? Should posters be consistently allowed to violate rules when others are singled out by mods for punishment? I don’t need to have my ban lifted but I should be allowed to report those posts, worse than mine supposedly were, that do not receive the harsh treatment I received.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you please clarify if you are disputing a specific ban or card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Not a specific ban. Here is the progression of the latest of the attacks against me by a particular mod…
    Dear notobtuse,

You have been permanently banned from Politics for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha

Moderator Note

Your trolling and nonsense will no longer be permitted here. This will apply to all subsequent accounts you create.

Your post:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by notobtuse
    I disagree with your statement. I read dozens of political news articles every day. From Right, Left and Center media sources. I provide source information when asked… and none of them come from Trump. If you notice I also post an occasional comment when I don’t agree with what Trump does. There is absolutely no need for me to post things that I dislike about Trump here, because there already is zillions of it from other posters. I post the things about Trump I agree with. Or is there some rule on boards that I am required to be unbiased in my opinion and comments? And I do provide other perspectives... It just seems the majority of people on the other side of the pond have closed minds when it comes to Trump.
    Originally Posted by Dog Man Star
    Spare us this nonsense and go back to Reddit. This is a politics forum that expects individuals to express personal opinions on truth. Go back to Reddit.
    Originally Posted by notobtuse
    What's Reddit?

- - - -

My response to mod ancapailldorcha regarding the ban:
    Well, I looked up Reddit and visited their site for the very first time, ever.

From Wiki…
    Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Registered members submit content to the site such as links, text posts, and images, which are then voted up or down by other members. Posts are organized by subject into user-created boards called "subreddits", which cover a variety of topics including news, science, movies, video games, music, books, fitness, food, and image-sharing. Submissions with more up-votes appear towards the top of their subreddit and, if they receive enough votes, ultimately on the site's front page. Despite strict rules prohibiting harassment, Reddit's administrators spend considerable resources on moderating the site.[3]

So I visited the site. What I saw was something about a person adopting 45 dogs and letting them run on his property, speed differences between a GT and F1 cars, some guy playing beer pong. I can go on. Nothing about politics. Why in god’s good name would it be assumed or expected that I know and participate in that unimportant (and I will use moderators term here) ‘nonsense?’

And you can do a search on my thousands of comments here, both this and prior names. Have I ever mentioned Reddit? I think not!

Also, I received a lengthy ban for saying Trump was spied on by government agencies under Obama. From the extensive reading I did it was obvious at the time it occurred. Yet I was banned for the comment because you mods seem to rely only on tainted and biased reporting from media sources hateful of Trump. And it turns out I was right and all you moderators were wrong. And it wasn't the first time it happened FYI, so my history is tainted by biased errors committed by moderators. Was I ever issued an apology by any mod that I was in fact correct... ever? No. It seems the end justifies the means when it comes to moderation in politics and getting rid of anyone who disrupts the apple cart needs to be removed by any way, shape or form.

- - - - -

Mods response to me:

Hi,
    I am reviewing this with other mods now. Will PM you when we're done.
    ACD

- - - - - -

Subsequent mod response:
    Hi Notobtuse,

Thank you for your patience.

I have discussed this with the other mods and the consensus is that the ban should be upheld.

Your previous bans have been for breaching the rules, not for being pro-Trump. Anti-Trump sanctions are regularly handed out on the forum.

With respect, I find it very difficult to believe that someone who posts about Politics online does not know what Reddit is. However, this is not the main issue. The main problem is your manner of posting which tends to include soapboxing, non-constructive posting, obfuscation and whataboutery.

The tone you have adopted in your PM's suggests that little has changed. We have done everything to make it clear that this is not acceptable. You have interpreted this as an attempt to purge the forum of pro-Trump opinion. Were this the case, you'd have been banned right away. We have also made it clear that the report function exists to alert mods to breaches of the forum rules. If you do not wish to use it, that is your prerogative but rule breaches do not justify further rule breaches. That particular thread is extremely busy so we don't have the time to check each and every post so we rely heavily on reports.

You are welcome to appeal this ban in the DRP.

Regards,
    ancapailldorcha

- - - - -

My response:
    I figured as much. Sad what moderation in politics has become in Boards and sad you don't see the bias you display. I have been here longer than you and have seen much. The mods of years ago were such an upstanding and level-headed group in their function. Even though they all disagreed with me, and even infracted me at times, they appreciated me for bringing a point of view different from most and understood having an all vanilla group of posters did nothing for debate. Alas, times change and not always for the good. I guess it is true about not being able to fight city hall.

My notes about the bogus reasons for my ban are as follows
    Soapboxing – I AM A FIRM AND LIFELONG U.S. REPUBLICAN AND ARGUE ON THEIR SIDE, THAT SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH SOAPBOXING.

non-constructive posting – I DISAGREE, MY POSTS ARE CONSTRUCTIVE.

obfuscation – I DISAGREE. I TRY TO SHOW CLARITY IN MY POSTS.

whataboutery – WHENEVER I AM ACCUSED OF WHATABOUTERY I EXPLAIN THAT WATABOUTERY IS A VALID DEBATE TACTIC WHEN IT IS USED TO SHOW A DISPLAYED HYPOCRISY ON THE OPPOSITION'S PART.

And what does tone in PM's have to do with anything? I don't have that 'tone' in my postings.

I am not looking to have the ban lifted, just to be allowed to report posts that go against the rules that were used to ban me, and to try and get certain mods spoken to and their hypocrisy corrected. In addition, some mods post things themselves in US Politics that involve the very same reasons stated for my ban.

Should not moderation be applied equally and fairly?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you are not disputing your ban I will move this thread to the Help Desk, which deals with other complaints

Please note though that if you are banned from a forum you cannot access that forum when signed in, or report any posts from that forum. That is not something the Admin or Mod teams can change

Thank you. I just want to make sure bans and infractions are applied fairly and equally as to the reasons given me for my ban. Also, that certain mods in the US Politics are required to moderate fairly and evenly... by providing me a mechanism to to help make sure they do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - it’s hard to reply when you keep changing your post. Here’s the response I had typed to your second post.

There are mechanisms available for raising complaints about mods. The primary recommended approach is to contact the relevant CMods. Should that not be sufficient, contact the Admins or even HQ.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say “to make sure mod bans are distributed fairly”? I think a better way to put it would be to make sure that mod bans are applied fairly.

We can’t guarantee an equal distribution between left/right, town/city, MUFC/Liverpool, cyclists/motorists (or whatever the relevant divide is) as cards are handed out based on actions, not sides. The main thing we try to ensure is that cards are applied fairly based on the actions of the poster. Our mechanisms for dealing with this involves the selection of who we think will be good, level-headed mods and a dispute process where bans/cards can be reviewed.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. I can give numerous examples (If I had a way to do that) where posters and even mod post the very same things that have been used against me as a reasoning for bans and infractions. The reason given me by a couple of mods for many of my bans/infractions were because I accused of stating opinion as fact... which is the majority of my 'bad' history. You will see the same thing on every page of US Politics posts by other posters. But if you look at the majority of my posting since I was threatened with a permanent pan I list 'opinion' and 'IMO' numerous times in my posts. The mods just found something else then to get rid of me. I understand that mods can't watch everything, but was every single one of my posts reported, or was just about every post similar to my actions against the rules ignored? Regardless, mods should never be posting opinions as facts in their posts... if this was their reasoning for hitting me with rules violations (or method of making my history of bans build up to eventually get rid of me). Yet some continually do post opinion as facts, they soapbox, they obfuscate, and post in a non-constructive manner IMO.

Advertisement