Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we demand more flights to the Fatherland?

Options
  • 19-02-2019 8:17pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Replace the Southampton route with something more useful like flights to Frankfurt, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Bremen, Hannover or any other major cities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

My father's family are from cork so I don't need any new flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Those Southampton flights are being replaced by more frequency on the Birmingham flights.

I'd love a Berlin or Hamburg flight though!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Frankfurt would be the most beneficial to the people of Cork. It has excellent international destinations and connectivity to the rest of Germany by train, road or air. And its also a well run airport considering its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So frustrating the way alot of the flights with Aer Lingus are seasonal - like Munich for example.

yogmeister wrote: »
    Frankfurt would be the most beneficial to the people of Cork. It has excellent international destinations and connectivity to the rest of Germany by train, road or air. And its also a well run airport considering its size.

Dublin would be most beneficial to the people of Cork. It has excellent international destinations and connectivity to the rest of Ireland by train, road, or car. And it's also a well run airport considering its size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You can demand all you like but unfortunately at the end of the day it's a commercial matter for the airlines involved. However, Germany is one of the last countries in western Europe to get linked to Cork Airport so maybe a Frankfurt route with Lufthansa may be on the cards, but with 4x Heathrow, upto 2x Amsterdam and daily CDG, that hub link to Frankfurt may come at the expense of another hub link

There are 2 weekly flights to Berlin from Kerry, which is quite a lot more convenient than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Dublin would be most beneficial to the people of Cork. It has excellent international destinations and connectivity to the rest of Ireland by train, road, or car. And it's also a well run airport considering its size.

We are talking about airports in Germany not ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

marno21 wrote: »

There are 2 weekly flights to Berlin from Kerry, which is quite a lot more convenient than Dublin.

I hope to use that soon enough..Hopefully it's still there, or better still Ryanair move it to Cork! I'd take the drive to Kerry than Shannon any day though.

Berlin would be fantastic. We do need more European non sun destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Acosta wrote: »
    I hope to use that soon enough..Hopefully it's still there, or better still Ryanair move it to Cork! I'd take the drive to Kerry than Shannon any day though.

Berlin would be fantastic. We do need more European non sun destinations.

I used it just last weekend, Thursday - Sunday for a weekend in Berlin. It's only 1.5hrs to drive to from Cork city. I arrived about an hour before the flight, had one quick pint and then was up in the air without delay. Also, the view when taking off was stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Whats the parking like in Farrenfore Airport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roundymac wrote: »
    http://kerryairport.ie/website/airport/car-parking/

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

roundymac wrote: »

We went to the long term parking which is about 3mins walk from the airport. It worked out €18 euro from Thursday - Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

I thought it was Farranfore Frankfurt?? Has it changed to Berlin now?

lalababa wrote: »
    I thought it was Farranfore Frankfurt?? Has it changed to Berlin now?
    2 weekly to both Frankfurt-Hahn and Berlin-Schoenefeld at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Should probably be noted anytime the place is mentioned, that Frankfurt-Hahn is closer to Luxembourg, than it is to the actual city of Frankfurt.

Haven't been to it, but know someone for whom it took 2.5hrs by bus to get into Frankfurt.

One of the famous Ryanairisms, like 'Paris' Beauvais and 'Oslo' Torp.

I've been considering getting the Kerry to Berlin flight.
    Train to Farrenfore starts at only €10 online and it looks to be a very easy 20min walk, or 5min taxi from the station.

Btw, I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up getting direct flights to Vienna, Austria soon with the full takeover of Lauda Motion by Ryanair.

It's a great city in general, but also fantastic for cheap and quick connections to Germany and almost anywhere you can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Fair play Kerry. Leaving aside the Ski flights for a couple of months there's nothing to Germany from Cork now. Possibly for the first time in 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Cork had a Frankfurt flight for ages with EI how long ago was that pulled must be years now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Should probably be noted anytime the place is mentioned, that Frankfurt-Hahn is closer to Luxembourg, than it is to the actual city of Frankfurt.

Haven't been to it, but know someone for whom it took 2.5hrs by bus to get into Frankfurt.

One of the famous Ryanairisms, like 'Paris' Beauvais and 'Oslo' Torp.

I've been considering getting the Kerry to Berlin flight.
    Train to Farrenfore starts at only €10 online and it looks to be a very easy 20min walk, or 5min taxi from the station.

Btw, I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up getting direct flights to Vienna, Austria soon with the full takeover of Lauda Motion by Ryanair.

It's a great city in general, but also fantastic for cheap and quick connections to Germany and almost anywhere you can think of.

Vienna would be a brilliant addition, have wanted to visit there for a long time, the flight out of Dublin is at 7am....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

You can demand all you like but unfortunately at the end of the day it's a commercial matter for the airlines involved. However, Germany is one of the last countries in western Europe to get linked to Cork Airport so maybe a Frankfurt route with Lufthansa may be on the cards, but with 4x Heathrow, upto 2x Amsterdam and daily CDG, that hub link to Frankfurt may come at the expense of another hub link

I’d imagine that if another hub is ever added in Europe it’ll be Istanbul. Direct flights to Australia, A321’s and continued growth in Cork might make it viable. I don’t really see the sell of Frankfurt over Paris or Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I take it that Dusseldorf from Cork is gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement