Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Afghanistan in India 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ireland praying for rain ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Tweeter

14 overs since the last boundary. Painful stuff altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dockrell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Tweeter wrote: »
    14 overs since the last boundary. Painful stuff altogether

Obviously a difficult wicket to bat on - nobody has looked comfortable. In fairness, only need 1s and 2s and the odd boundary. But going down the tubes now. Dare say KOB will get frustrated soon and hole out!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭wicorthered

The issue was though that test cricket is so firmly tied to membership status as a top country and the extra money and rights that comes with it.. of course the ICC still screwed us on that in the end by limiting the world cup to 10 teams

I always felt CI had a bit of snobbery around chasing the test dream. I might be wrong but I thought the move wasn't necessarily about money it was more the prestige of test cricket.

Even if that wasn't the case I firmly believe CI chose the wrong option. T20 was kicking off big time, the IPL, Big bash were changing cricket, like it or loathe it. Players were making big money quickly, they were obviously going to start abandoning test cricket. We should have jumped in head first into T20. Our small player pool meant we couldn't be competitive in tests and we'd continue to be plucky underdogs in the 50 over stuff. T20 could have been different.

The shorter format means a couple of individual players could make a much bigger difference. If we'd started investing 5/6 years ago in developing T20 players we could be a decent side today, going to world cups, beating the bigger boys. This in turn raises the games profile, attracts more fans, more start playing and cricket grows. A natural follow up would have been test status at a time we had a big enough base to be somewhat competitive.

We weren't patient enough. We choose the most difficult and less financially viable path. Irish cricket has stagnated as a result. An associate trying for test status can't be seen losing to other associates. A consequence was a management team terrified of blooding young players. They always went tried and tested. The result of that now is 4 of the same top 6 we've had for 10 years. A team all going over the hill together with no replacements to step in.

I reckon Rankin and Murtagh will call it a day at the end of the summer. What happens then. We havem't given any replacement a proper run in the team.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Obviously a difficult wicket to bat on - nobody has looked comfortable. In fairness, only need 1s and 2s and the odd boundary. But going down the tubes now. Dare say KOB will get frustrated soon and hole out!

It's clearly not a flat track, however 3 Afghans got half centuries.
    It's really a sign of where we now are as a cricket nation, and it really pains me to say that.
    We'll be lucky to get 150

Poynter out and the game is done

92/6 30

KevIRL wrote: »
    Poynter out and the game is done

As long as KOB is there, I guess there's hope. But scratchy kind of innings from him, keeping the ball down and that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KOb gone

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    KOb gone

And mcbrine before him then murtagh

Alam on a hat trick here

Revised guess, we'll be lucky to get 115.

We're regressing badly as a Cricket nation the past couple of years.
    Afghanistan won't have to wait long for their first test win

Won't get past 100

Still, nice to see a quick bowler rattling the timbers!

Rankin prevents the hat trick

Got the hundred anyway

We've turned into cannon fodder for Afghanistan. We really need to revise how often we play them.

Having them at 81/6 to being hammered is unforgivable!

Close. 114 all out

• Advertisement

We've turned into cannon fodder for Afghanistan. We really need to revise how often we play them. Having them at 81/6 to being hammered is unforgivable!

Chance of getting a 2/2 draw on Sunday, so reckon we'll see the same team.

That was kinda tortuous batting - when Porterfield knocked off 3 consecutive boundaries, it looked reasonable but he overplayed his hand next ball - an basically that set the tone. Odd to see KOB at the crease for so long and not a single boundary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Anyone know what happened to cricketeurope? I just had a look there and it seems to be only focused on Ireland now

Anyone know what happened to cricketeurope? I just had a look there and it seems to be only focused on Ireland now

There's still a small section on other associate. They've cut back on content due to budgets

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Now it's just Ireland and Worldwide though, it used to show the Scottish and Dutch on the main page too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I always felt CI had a bit of snobbery around chasing the test dream. I might be wrong but I thought the move wasn't necessarily about money it was more the prestige of test cricket.

Even if that wasn't the case I firmly believe CI chose the wrong option. T20 was kicking off big time, the IPL, Big bash were changing cricket, like it or loathe it. Players were making big money quickly, they were obviously going to start abandoning test cricket. We should have jumped in head first into T20. Our small player pool meant we couldn't be competitive in tests and we'd continue to be plucky underdogs in the 50 over stuff. T20 could have been different.

The shorter format means a couple of individual players could make a much bigger difference. If we'd started investing 5/6 years ago in developing T20 players we could be a decent side today, going to world cups, beating the bigger boys. This in turn raises the games profile, attracts more fans, more start playing and cricket grows. A natural follow up would have been test status at a time we had a big enough base to be somewhat competitive.

We weren't patient enough. We choose the most difficult and less financially viable path. Irish cricket has stagnated as a result. An associate trying for test status can't be seen losing to other associates. A consequence was a management team terrified of blooding young players. They always went tried and tested. The result of that now is 4 of the same top 6 we've had for 10 years. A team all going over the hill together with no replacements to step in.

I reckon Rankin and Murtagh will call it a day at the end of the summer. What happens then. We havem't given any replacement a proper run in the team.

I’m not really following you on this. We sit in the top tier now and have a greater input into world cricket with better access to funding and facilities. Are you saying we’d be better off as an Associate nation still?

The Lions Tour of Sri Lanka was a success in giving younger players competitive match practice, as an associate nation we couldn’t have played that.

Not saying I’m entirely happy with selection decisions but we’ve a steep learning curve, both on and off the pitch, with much improvement needed.

HonalD wrote: »
    I’m not really following you on this. We sit in the top tier now and have a greater input into world cricket with better access to funding and facilities. Are you saying we’d be better off as an Associate nation still?

The Lions Tour of Sri Lanka was a success in giving younger players competitive match practice, as an associate nation we couldn’t have played that.

Not saying I’m entirely happy with selection decisions but we’ve a steep learning curve, both on and off the pitch, with much improvement needed.

I'm saying we should have been more patient. We chased test cricket to the detriment of other formats, at a time test cricket was declining. I think this is the reason we have fallen away so badly. The fear of losing meant young players were never blooded, leaving us a squad passed it's best with no youngsters coming through.

And I do feel the prestige of playing test cricket meant more than the money to CI. There will be a lot of pomp and Bulls$$$ around the Lords Test. All the while we've fallen behind Scotland in T20 and ODI terms. I think having a competitive T20 and ODI team would bring in just as much investment as a test nation playing 2 tests a year, and probably getting hammered in both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I'm saying we should have been more patient. We chased test cricket to the detriment of other formats, at a time test cricket was declining. I think this is the reason we have fallen away so badly. The fear of losing meant young players were never blooded, leaving us a squad passed it's best with no youngsters coming through.

And I do feel the prestige of playing test cricket meant more than the money to CI. There will be a lot of pomp and Bulls$$$ around the Lords Test. All the while we've fallen behind Scotland in T20 and ODI terms. I think having a competitive T20 and ODI team would bring in just as much investment as a test nation playing 2 tests a year, and probably getting hammered in both.

We looked for and received full membership. With that came test match cricket. But there’s a huge amount of other benefits to full membership and I can’t see any reason to forsake them to remain an associate team.

We’re only playing a couple of test matches a year compared to multiple shorter form games - we’ve 23 matches against full members in 2019, two are test matches. We’ve played 3 associates already and will be playing other warm up games for the T20 World Cup Qualifiers before the tournament itself in Oct. As an associate nation, we were only getting crumbs.

It’s not perfect, but it’s a significant improvement in terms of quality game time imo.

Ireland win toss and will bowl

No zazai opening for Afghanistan today but shazad smashes the very first delivery for 6 anyway

Edit - murtagh gets him with the fourth ball!

20/1 after 5

34/1 10

• Advertisement

Keeping the run rate tight. Could do with some wickets though of course

Mcbrine gets ahmadi! He was on 24 and starting to look set.

Dockrell gets shah. Next ball after being hit for 6

Shinwari out first ball and Dockrell on a hat trick

Almost a hat trick. Dockrell v close.

50/4 after 15. Nabi in now. Critical wicket

16th over a maiden. Second one of the innings

Thought with catches going down earlier, just another of those days. Come back into it well. Can we keep pressure on now???

65/4 20

77/4 25

Ten runs in 26th over

• Advertisement

98/4 30

This partnership now at 48

Murtagh back in the attack and his first over goes for 15

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

That dropped catch by Balbirnie could be the killer, I'm sick of watching Nabi and Ashgar bat. Those 2 stalwarts always resurrect an innings with sensible batting

Dockrell maiden

121/4 35

Singh gets nabi 131/5 37

140/5 after 40

Asghar afgham dropped again tho

Zadhran out.

Kahn in, he can be very dangerous with the bat