Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Skerries

• 19-02-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I am looking at a house in skerries near downside park. I was wondering what is the area like to raise a family?

Myself and my partner will be commutting into the IFSC daily. How is the daily commute into the city?

What are the schools and creches like in the area?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Can't answer for schools and creches, but the 33X has 5 services a day via the port tunnel and passes the IFSC. On return in the evening there are 5 services from Custom house Quay but last one at 1800. There's a stop just opposite downside park. You will get a seat on the bus but depending on the train if you walk the 15-20 mins or so to the station a seat or two might be available on the first train out in the morning to Tara St for the iFSC. Otherwise a bit of a scrum on the later ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Downside is a lovely area. Nice mix of families - young & old. (I grew up just around the corner.)
    It is close to the park, the beach & the shops in Shenick. Only 10/15 mins walk into the village.

The commute is handy enough. Public transport-wise you can grab the 33X at the Rush Road or take a 10 min walk to the train station.

All of the primary schools are good from what I hear. As for creches - I can't help you on that score.

Skerries is a great town with a super sense of community & is a wonderful place to raise kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Homer

You will do well to get a seat on most of the morning trains to the city. My wife commutes in, if she goes to balbriggan she usually just about gets a seat but by rush & lusk usually full. Kerries might be ok but the trains are at capacity from 7am-8am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Homer wrote: »
    You will do well to get a seat on most of the morning trains to the city. My wife commutes in, if she goes to balbriggan she usually just about gets a seat but by rush & lusk usually full. Kerries might be ok but the trains are at capacity from 7am-8am.

Aye you are very unlikely to get a seat either way getting on at Skerries in the morning or Connolly on the way home in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

most train journeys to Connolly are now 35mins or thereabouts (it used to be 40mins) standing for that long is worth it compared to the bus or driving. It's far from what you could describe as a crush on the peak trains, except the odd day when there's a train failure that has a knock on effect to later trains, but that's thankfully rare.
    There are bike racks in the station, including extra secure cabinets you can rent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement