Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone and Huawei B525 different speeds

• 19-02-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung S9 and a Huawei B525 both with Three sims.

Right beside each other, both on 4G, and the router is getting less than a tenth of the speed my phone is on speed test (ethernet, no other clients connected, both antennas attached, full 5 bars on both devices).

What is going on? This is really annoying because tethering my phone right now would be 10x faster but there's literally no reason as to why the router should be slower.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3Ireland vs 3Internet APN?

The S9 is a CAT18 device vs the 525s CAT6 but in practice this shouldn't lead it to massively faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Only speculating here

I suppose you have changed antenna settings in Web interface to "external", and have tried with internals only
    Potential your devices connected to different masts
    Potential speed test taken to two different servers
    You not mixing measurement units MB/s vs Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Thanks for the replies.

3Internet APN, checked that one at the time.

So I was running external, tried switching back to internal and have left them there since.

Any way to check mast connectivity?

Units aren't being mixed.

I ended up forcing the router into 3G mode and that was has been stable/fast enough since. Weird.

Post your 4G signal reading from router web interface: Settings>System>Device info

RSRQ:
    RSRP:
    SINR:

RSRQ: -17dB
    RSRP: -97dBm
    SINR: -5dB

Getting 0.5Mbps currently on 4G on router, forcing into 3G I get 20Mbps. On S9 in same position I get 12Mbps on 4G and 16Mbps on 3G.

Ping about 30ms on all.

• Advertisement

No surprise, and ignore LED signal indication - manipulated by ISP.
    Relocate your router

3G4GLTE.png

By any chance its brand new contract with Three on the phone?

No surprise, and ignore LED signal indication - manipulated by ISP.
    Relocate your router

3G4GLTE.png
    By any chance its brand new contract with Three on the phone?

Ah thanks for the insight here.

3G I'm getting

RSSI: -77dBm
    ECIO: -3dB

Which explains things. I guess the antenna in my phone is just superior?

The router is a brand new contract, the phone is a 6 month old contract.

Power levels are fine, quality is crap.

Open a youtube video on your phone and check if the 4G symbol has a little + beside it. If so:
    - Two serving cells
    - Cell A: High power low quality
    - Cell B: Lower power ok quality
    525 is seeing the higher power cell and latching, S9 is grabbing both and thus can pull reasonable amounts of data over the SCC (2nd cell).

And what you use for "external" antenna - them two skinny "rabbit ears" - found them useless
    Directional might help you if you into it

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Power levels are fine, quality is crap.

Open a youtube video on your phone and check if the 4G symbol has a little + beside it. If so:
    - Two serving cells
    - Cell A: High power low quality
    - Cell B: Lower power ok quality
    525 is seeing the higher power cell and latching, S9 is grabbing both and thus can pull reasonable amounts of data over the SCC (2nd cell).

Yes my phone does have 4G+. Are there routers that can do the same thing my phone can do? Worth the investment?

B525 can

And what you use for "external" antenna - them two skinny "rabbit ears" - found them useless
    Directional might help you if you into it

I might look into it in a couple weeks time. Honestly ping of 30ms with 20Mbps during peak times is a lot better than I see a lot of poor folks getting on here.

B525 can

Hmm, why isn't my B525 when my phone is?

Can't tell you that, might be Samsung vs Huawei or CAT6 vs CAT18.....

B525 can

I can't find a CA matrix published for it. Its a bit more nuanced than can and cannot. It may be able to CA 2x B3 but not B3+B20 (Inter vs intra).

You have more advanced knowledge on that, but this what i get under load..

Current

RSRQ: -10
    RSRP: -100
    SINR: 17

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how its doing it.

C1j2JrqXUAApd5t.jpg

With rooted phones you can see where its coming from.

I know, you mention this in other thread, just don't have enough time to play with it.
    Even have galaxy S5 laying around... somewhere... to be rooted - 24H in a day is not enough :D

• Advertisement

Alright I moved house. I'm now 800m from the nearest mast, direct line of sight. Literally just a single tree between my router and the mast.

I'm reading;
    RSRQ: -8dB
    RSRP: -82dBm
    SINR: 3dB

And only getting 23Mbit up/down in the afternoon. 30ms ping, 4G (no plus).

How can I improve throughput here? My SINR seems to be the problem. Would a directional antenna aimed right at the mast fix this?

mp3guy wrote: »
    Alright I moved house. I'm now 800m from the nearest mast, direct line of sight. Literally just a single tree between my router and the mast.

I'm reading;

How can I improve throughput here? My SINR seems to be the problem. Would a directional antenna aimed right at the mast fix this?
    Have you confirmed this is Three mast and it is 4G enabled?
    At distance 800m and LOS you should not need any antenna.

Hmm I'm actually a bit confused now.

What's gospel for mast locations?

If it's https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ I'm definitely 800m away from a Three mast, but it's not an LTE mast, just UMTS.

But when I force the router into 3G I get 30ms ping, 15Mbit down and 4Mbit up.

RSSI: -79dBm
    ECIO: -2dB.

Also, looking at https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map my house is contained within a 4G "Very Good" region that is isolated and centered around the mast 800m away from me.

I took a drive around since it's so close by and sure enough it's a mast there.

Siteviewer often is out of date when a 3G site becomes a 4G one. The way to tell for sure is Cellmapper but that requires root.

There is possibility that comreg site viewer is outdated, and map they provide is under great criticism, however, double check your B525 settings regard antenna.
    What signal and speed you get on your phone?

There is possibility that comreg site viewer is outdated, and map they provide is under great criticism, however, double check your B525 settings regard antenna.
    What signal and speed you get on your phone?

Actually getting similar speed and signal on my phone now. I tried internal and external antennas and a bunch of orientations and not much changed.

This is a bit unusual, I would have thought being this close (I can see it!) it would be killer. Worth buying a directional antenna to see if it's something on the tower itself limiting things? Any point contacting Three about it? I was about 400m from it earlier and still getting these mediocre speeds, on both 3G and 4G.

This is a bit unusual, I would have thought being this close (I can see it!) it would be killer. Worth buying a directional antenna to see if it's something on the tower itself limiting things? Any point contacting Three about it? I was about 400m from it earlier and still getting these mediocre speeds, on both 3G and 4G.

If nobody was on the three network maybe. Most places you can get 220Mb at 3.30AM but <10Mb when anyone is awake.

I'm reading;

Your SINR is fine, your Q is super and your P is super. This is ideal signal conditions.

You're getting 20Mb because the sector is sharing 150Mb between 100-300 UEs(handsets and routers) and has to divvy up bandwidth.

If nobody was on the three network maybe. Most places you can get 220Mb at 3.30AM but <10Mb when anyone is awake.

Your SINR is fine, your Q is super and your P is super. This is ideal signal conditions.

You're getting 20Mb because the sector is sharing 150Mb between 100-300 UEs(handsets and routers) and has to divvy up bandwidth.

Good to know. I will be up at 5am tomorrow morning so will do a quick test then outside to see the limit.

<edit> Actually this doesn't explain why I get 5Mb on 4G and 20Mb on 3G though, does it?

<edit> Actually this doesn't explain why I get 5Mb on 4G and 20Mb on 3G though, does it?

It does.

4G is available to nearly everyone on Three. Even an S5 from years ago has 4G. So if there are 300 users in an area all 300 will latch to 4G as phones assume its better.

That leaves you on 3G with Larry who's got a Galaxy S2 and doesnt know what Instagram is and any active phone calls (low bandwidth). 150 divided by 300 is a lot smaller than 44 divided by 10.

• Advertisement

It does.

4G is available to nearly everyone on Three. Even an S5 from years ago has 4G. So if there are 300 users in an area all 300 will latch to 4G as phones assume its better.

That leaves you on 3G with Larry who's got a Galaxy S2 and doesnt know what Instagram is and any active phone calls (low bandwidth). 150 divided by 300 is a lot smaller than 44 divided by 10.
    Who is Larry?:D

Advertisement