Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year build sticking on Bios splash for over 3 minutes

Options
  • 20-02-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Hope you guys can shed some light on my issues

So just to list computer specs

CPU: Intel i5 6400
    Motherboard Asus H110M-a/m2
    Memory: Crucial CT8G4DFD8213 8GB*2 DDR4 2133mhz
    Graphic Card: EVGA Nvida GeForce GTX750TI
    SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb
    Hard Drive: WD old sata 2 disconnected now from power and sata for testing
    Power: Corsair vs450
    Windows 10 pro 64bit

Ok so my machine had been booting fine in less then a minute. This issue i am going to explain happened before but seemed to sort itself out but it has returned.
    So i get computer to boot its stuck on the ASUS bios splash screen for about 3 or more minutes before the computer will start loading windows. Even entering both boot option or bios option there is still a wait of 3 or more minutes for this to happen.
    So far i have disconnected all drives bar O/S and tried restarting once inside windows 10. Also reseated graphic card updated to latest drivers updated bios on motherboard to latest. I have booted with no memory and getting beeps for now memory, so tried one stick at a time in different slots and same issues. i have reset the cmos and hit the jumper and no go. I have disconnected all usb devices including the from usb header cable. I have only the keyboard and mouse plugged in. I have checked that ssd is still the first boot option. i have turned off secure boot and fast boot. None of these has fixed the issue.

Before i reset the cmos and turned off boot from usb and the system starting working this options were still set this time and issue has returned. This happened back in November i have not been using this computer much for the last while. Its clean from dust i have test psu with a power supply tester and it seems ok.

Any advice or help would be great.
    I have logged a support email with Asus again for support also.
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Inviere

Try with all drives disconnected, even the boot drive, and see how the bios screen responds/delays then. Might it be an issue with the SSD? Is the bios configured to boot drives in the correct order?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I did this the last time it happened and made no difference but have not done it this time will do when i get home thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Don't know if it's relevant, I've had an ASUS motherboard hang on boot.

Had to short two pins together on the board to fix the problem.

Don't know if it's relevant, I've had an ASUS motherboard hang on boot.

Had to short two pins together on the board to fix the problem.

Thanks did that aswell the 2 pins with screw driver for 5 to 10 seconds with no power plugged in with battery also out of cmos

Also the Samsung magic app showed the 850 evo as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Disable splash screen and see what it says, maybe bad memory

fritzelly wrote: »
    Disable splash screen and see what it says, maybe bad memory

It could be this i see lots saying if quick boot is set to disable it will do a ram memory scan then proceed to boot windows or go into bios so i will enable fast boot then and make sure ssd is selected as boot device

Inviere wrote:
    Try with all drives disconnected, even the boot drive, and see how the bios screen responds/delays then. Might it be an issue with the SSD? Is the bios configured to boot drives in the correct order?

I have tried now with all drives disconnected and same. I have tried the fast boot and same i loaded the bios defaults and same. I also disabled logo and it just was black screen for long time then into bios. I am now in the process of running a memtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The delay includes getting into the BIOS itself. That says its during the POST process.

I'd get any other stick of DDR4 to test with, after that its probably a new board job but no way to be sure without component by component testing.

You say black screen - are you not getting boot up testing going on?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote:
    I'd get any other stick of DDR4 to test with, after that its probably a new board job but no way to be sure without component by component testing.

ED E wrote:
    The delay includes getting into the BIOS itself. That says its during the POST process.

Thanks Ed E i was going to get some in cex to test but no way of knowing if they work either. In shannon and ennis they seem to have stock of some.

fritzelly wrote:
    You say black screen - are you not getting boot up testing going on?

No boot up screens as in bios stays black and then if i hit del or f2 it will go to bios after a lot of waiting. So enabled logo screen so at least i can see something.

After running memtest latest version it complete 4 passes no errors. So not sure weather to get a ddr4 ram chip just to test I can get 4gb chip of 2133mhz in cex for €20. It could be motherboard now? unsure what the issue is.
    So running the bootable usb off the front usb had issues but off the main board it was slow but worked.

This is responce from asus so will try when i get home

In this case I recommend you make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enabled S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again. 

You already cleared bios no?

fritzelly wrote: »
    You already cleared bios no?

yes but i will do it again before setting the settings asus recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Shorting the 2 pins and removing CMOS battery have the sane results.

Try having a loot at your boot priority in the bios? It might be trying to boot onto other drives or even non existing drives before booting to your drive with windows installed.

Also try the Asus forums, I'm sure someone else has encountered the same problem before, maybe they reported back with a fix that worked for them.

Change the battery
    Flash bios
    Strange you see absolutely nothing on boot up, it's not disabled is it?

Ok only seeing asus logo with options for bios. I have changed cmos battery after resetting it and also used the jumper to short. Have tested bios settings asus recommended without success. I got a 4gb ddr4 2133 samsung and tried this to fail also with same issues
    I am also seeing a generic storage device 0903 but i have not any drives plugged in. I have disabled this as a boot option any way. Only keyboard and mouse connected no lan no hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Try new Sata cables. Maybe faulty.

• Advertisement

killanena wrote: »
    Try new Sata cables. Maybe faulty.

I dont think thats the problem because issue is there with no sata cables connected. so no drives and still issue of slow bios.

If i connect boot drive it loads fine after the slow bios. So with no hard drive connected the bios is still slow. It can take 3 to 5 minutes.

Time was not noticably shorter for the 4gb stick as to havin the 2 x 8gb sticks installed. So any sort of memory check would have shorted the wait with only 4gb as to 16gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

At this stage I'd just buy a new motherboard (or check for warranty). Can't be a hard drive, memory is fine, PSU is fine, CPU is fine (though do run a stress test to check power and CPU are actually fine under heavy load). Another option is to just not turn it fully off unless absolutely necessary and use hibernate/sleep.

So I fixed it. So i had tried another power supply but was the same issue then i tried looking again at the usb onboard as something was showing in bios as generic drive. So i found another usb header from the case which went to sd card reader built into case disconnect and everything works like it should. Thanks everyone for help

Advertisement