Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler in Bedroom Press

Options
  • 20-02-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on buying an apartment with a boiler in the main bedroom press? Have seen a few apartments with boilers in the bedroom. This is the first one that ticks the other boxes. I wonder if the boiler would be noisy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

Can't comment on noise but I'd check if it's the type of boiler that draws air from the room for combustion. I slept in a room before with a similar setup to you except the room wasn't ventilated properly. The air got very heavy and hard to breathe when the boiler was running. So check ventilation. You would also want a good carbon monoxide alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

That's an odd place to have a boiler. It may be annoying. Go for a viewing and ask them to turn it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I will look into the ventilation. I dont fully understand why one would but a boiler in a bedroom?

JJJackal wrote: »
    I will look into the ventilation. I dont fully understand why one would but a boiler in a bedroom?

Free up space elsewhere? Outside wall? What size is the kitchen and where is it?

I plan to view with the boiler on - the boiler in the bedroom has really put me off. I can imagine it waking me every morning (say you set it to come on 30 minutes before your alarm!!)

• Advertisement

I plan to view with the boiler on - the boiler in the bedroom has really put me off. I can imagine it waking me every morning (say you set it to come on 30 minutes before your alarm!!)

You could move the boiler.

Free up space elsewhere? Outside wall? What size is the kitchen and where is it?

Its a kitchen come dining room. As apartment kitchen/dining rooms go its not especially small. The apartment is according to estate agent about 80m2. There is a balcony. The kitchen is not directly beside the bedroom where the boiler is. The second bedroom is between the kitchen and the boiler bedroom.

Its a relatively new build (maybe 5-10 years old) - the builders who built it have a very good reputation for quality build work

You could move the boiler.

Is that a big or expensive job?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Its a kitchen come dining room. As apartment kitchen/dining rooms go its not especially small. The apartment is according to estate agent about 80m2. There is a balcony. The kitchen is not directly beside the bedroom where the boiler is. The second bedroom is between the kitchen and the boiler bedroom.

Its a relatively new build (maybe 5-10 years old) - the builders who built it have a very good reputation for quality build work

Is it possible that the bedroom is the only external wall that was available to put the boiler on?

kcdiom wrote: »
    Is it possible that the bedroom is the only external wall that was available to put the boiler on?

The boiler has to be connected to the outside for ventilation. Its a single aspect apartment and I guess it fits nicely into the press in bedroom one. It would be exposed on a wall in bedroom 2 or in the living area.

I think this probably explains why its on this wall. Are boilers ever placed on the balcony? (I presume not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

The boiler has to be connected to the outside for ventilation. Its a single aspect apartment and I guess it fits nicely into the press in bedroom one. It would be exposed on a wall in bedroom 2 or in the living area.

I think this probably explains why its on this wall. Are boilers ever placed on the balcony? (I presume not)

They absolutely are.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Templegrove,+Ardarrig,+Co.+Cork/@51.8669961,-8.4324452,3a,35.1y,201.89h,114.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI2PSFS1rUCgFZVrd-wBG-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x484485686d904cfb:0xb1b939c38fb23aa7!8m2!3d51.8663135!4d-8.4321594

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I have a new boiler in my bedroom press and the noise is minimal. It kind of purrs and has never woken me at all and I have insomnia but not at boiler going on time. A bit of rain or wind would be noisier.

Ventilation and carbon monoxide monitors/alarms are obvious considerations.

Very interesting especially re boiler outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

As long as its not your bedroom! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Your apt probably has a pump elsewhere that will drown out the noise from the boiler anyway.

Effects wrote: »
    Your apt probably has a pump elsewhere that will drown out the noise from the boiler anyway.

What do you mean a pump elsewhere?

Not mine yet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's not much noise from a modern boiler. It's more of a comforting hum (like the sound of a fire) than a loud rattling noise.

Your main concern is if it's a combi boiler then it'll kick in whenever anyone turns on a hot tap. If you're living with someone else then you'll find the boiler firing in at all times of the day and night.

What do you mean a pump elsewhere?

Not mine yet

A booster pump to give water pressure, as you probably don't have a tank feeding from an attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

A booster pump to give water pressure, as you probably don't have a tank feeding from an attic.

Possibly not if a combi boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

My sister's apartment had this and it drove me mad anytime I stayed there. The boiler was probably about 10 years old and you could hear it fire up in the morning which would wake me. Personally it would be deal breaker for me on a property if I wasn't able to relocate it to a different room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Modern boilers don't have any open connection between the room and the combustion chamber. They draw air in from outside and exhaust fumes outside. There were non-sealed type boilers in use not all that long ago however, and they are potentially dangerous. I would not sleep in a room like that without a working carbon monoxide detector and alarm, even with a balanced flue. You can still get leaks and so on.

No boiler operates silently. They're quiet and you wouldn't notice them in a kitchen, but they all have a fan that runs to move air and exhaust gasses through the combustion chamber and they all have actuated gas valves and water valves and relays controlling igniters and so on. All of those click and buzz and snap. You'll also get expansion noises as the boiler heats up 'tap tap tap' type sounds and cools down.

They really shouldn't be in a bedroom. At best it will be like having a loud fridge in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Very interesting especially re boiler outside

if you were going to look into that you would want to check that the mgt co would allow it, they may not

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Possibly not if a combi boiler.

Even if it's just the cold feed from the tank to the bathroom sink or the combi boiler?

Cyrus wrote: »
    if you were going to look into that you would want to check that the mgt co would allow it, they may not

Think this may well be a deal breaker for purchasing. Too expensive to fix and as you say even if it wasn’t expensive it probably wouldn’t be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I've a two bed and mine is in the 2nd room. It's not ideal for a few reasons but I only really use it in the evening when there is no-one in there so noise isn't really a problem. They biggest issue I have is they room it takes up. The room is small enough so this takes up a bit of space in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Have one in my bedroom in 2 bed apartment. Never been an issue for us. Doesn't wake me up and I'd be a light sleeper.

Brego888 wrote: »
    Doesn't wake me up and I'd be a light sleeper.

Clearly you aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Clearly you aren't.

Clearly you haven't a clue

Advertisement