Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was I scammed?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Well if the Renault is actually fixed and if they did do work on the engine then 700 mightn't be the worst of prices but no one knows unless you can find out exactly what they did.

That said they sound to be a right shower, so all of this is easier said than done.

I don’t mean to be rude but it seems like your taking all of this lying down? Are you getting the car back or not I’m still unsure..

Put up some sort of a fight man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I think we're all very quick to be jumping on the theoretical bandwagon here.

If we look at what happened -

Car broke down
    - would indicate an actual problem

Mechanic had it a few days and couldn't diagnose it straight away
    - so probably not a simple solution everyone is imagining

Mechanic told op how much it would be to fix and op chose not to bother, agreed the mechanic would take it for €150
    - Mechanic didn't know they weren't going to go ahead with repairs, I'm sure most customers he gives prices to just get the work done and take their car back.

Outcome - Having been left the car, mechanic has to decide what to do with it and decides it worth his time repairing it and books nct (which I presume was nearly due).

At the end of the day a second opinion may have resulted in exact same repair bill but with a tow truck bill added to it.
    Car is only worth 2-2.5k on the market, can't say i'd be too quick to be dragging it around different garages either and I certainly wouldn't have bothered getting 1k worth of repair.

Maybe keep an eye for it going up for sale and send someone to see what recent repair work is in the service manual.....which he should add if he's genuinely trying to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

True but will they go into such detail. Many of these kinda situations are put off as civil matters.

If the garage do give in they have the op on the hook for the costs of the repairs. Which judging by their initial quote will be dear too. It's hard seeing any outcome being easy on the op unfortunately.

How come? Op never agreed to any repeairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

pippip wrote: »
    ...Maybe keep an eye for it going up for sale and send someone to see what recent repair work is in the service manual.....which he should add if he's genuinely trying to sell it.

FFS...life's too short...either be happy to get your car back working for €700 or let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

newmember? wrote: »
    FFS...life's too short...either be happy to get your car back working for €700 or let it go.

We'll that would be my thoughts too but if it keeps grating on the op it's pretty much all they can do to possibly get peace of mind to confirm it actually needed the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    I don’t mean to be rude but it seems like your taking all of this lying down? Are you getting the car back or not I’m still unsure..

Put up some sort of a fight man

I'm assuming you meant to quote the op in that

I'm assuming you meant to quote the op in that

Yes, my bad

grogi wrote: »
    How come? Op never agreed to any repeairs...

True. But he brought it there with the intention of getting repairs. And then unfortunately agreed to hand over the car for €150.

Hard to believe people are still siding with the garage here, the OP left under the impression the car would be scrapped and therefore an end of life cert issued, although this wasn’t in writing it was implied, not all contracts/deals are written otherwise we’d have a mass of paperwork for every little transaction. When you leave your car to be serviced or even when you buy a new pair of jeans you enter into a contract with the seller/provider.

If they fail to hold up their end of the deal it’s a breach of contact, written or not written. End of life cert or no deal, he never agreed to sell the car..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Hard to believe people are still siding with the garage here, the OP left under the impression the car would be scrapped and therefore an end of life cert issued, although this wasn’t in writing it was implied, not all contracts/deals are written otherwise we’d have a mass of paperwork for every little transaction. When you leave your car to be serviced or even when you buy a new pair of jeans you enter into a contract with the seller/provider.

If they fail to hold up their end of the deal it’s a breach of contact, written or not written. End of life cert or no deal, he never agreed to sell the car..

It's not hard at all on here mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Since you haven't signed the logbook you may have some hope. Although proving you haven't signed it will be tricky if the garage forge your signature and send it to Shannon. You should maybe try asking in the legal forum about the legalities surrounding an unsigned logbook that is no longer in your possession. Then maybe seek the advice of a solicitor.

If the garage have the car fixed and decide to return it, you will be liable for the costs of the repairs.

Shouldn't be that hard, if he has a consistent signature he uses, they'd have to be very lucky to guess it, assuming that they've never seen it before which seems to be the case. Ask Shannon to show you the forged one (if its the case it's been forged) and show a few, actual ones of yours to compare. Once the word fraud is then mentioned, the garage would have to be thick or have some balls not to see they are bang to rights.

terrydel wrote: »
    Once the word fraud is then mentioned, the garage would have to be thick or have some balls not to see they are bang to rights.

Some of these types of garages couldn't give a shiny sh1te. They might have a new name next month. It's not about being thick or having balls they just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Some of these types of garages couldn't give a shiny sh1te. They might have a new name next month. It's not about being thick or having balls they just don't care.

Civil responsibility might cease with disillusion of the company. Criminal charges, such as fraud, don't.

Advertisement