Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

• 20-02-2019 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Getting these calls daily to an elderly relative. I have repeatedly tried to contact Eir but there seems to be no facility on your 1901 automated system to report/deal with these calls and eir webchat was useless and clueless (just being honest and not trying to be I silting or inflamtory).

So 1) how do I go about reporting the calls? 2) is there a call barring function available? 3) can you give contact details for the relevant section that can deal with and report on to the relevant authorities ease as I know that many people are being harassed by the criminals involved. By not dealing with this, intention or not, Eir are facilitating this ongoing crime.

I look forward to a speedy response with the correct contact info.

Thank you.

p.s. the latest calls showed up as 8260669 8223830 but I'm sure that they are using some sort of software to create/mask their contact.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

secondc wrote: »
    Getting these calls daily to an elderly relative. I have repeatedly tried to contact Eir but there seems to be no facility on your 1901 automated system to report/deal with these calls and eir webchat was useless and clueless (just being honest and not trying to be I silting or inflamtory).

So 1) how do I go about reporting the calls? 2) is there a call barring function available? 3) can you give contact details for the relevant section that can deal with and report on to the relevant authorities ease as I know that many people are being harassed by the criminals involved. By not dealing with this, intention or not, Eir are facilitating this ongoing crime.

Thank you.

p.s. the latest calls showed up as 8260669 8223830 but I'm sure that they are using some sort of software to create/mask their contact.
    Hi secondc

I understand your frustration regarding scam calls.  Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to prevent these calls as they are calling from different numbers constantly.  We don't have any way of knowing that the numbers are a scam.  The only thing we can do is advise our customers to never give out any personal information over the phone.  We do have an opt out service for unsolicited/telemarketing calls.  For more information regarding this please click here.   

Many thanks

~Linzi

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

eir: Linzi wrote: »

Thank you.

Hi secondc

I understand your frustration regarding scam calls.  Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to prevent these calls as they are calling from different numbers constantly.  We don't have any way of knowing that the numbers are a scam.  The only thing we can do is advise our customers to never give out any personal information over the phone.  We do have an opt out service for unsolicited/telemarketing calls.  For more information regarding this please click here.   

Many thanks

~Linzi
    Ok  So you can't block calls. I am receiving them too. All the time. It never stops.
    Do other service providers have a facility to block numbers?
    Does anybody know?
    if they do I will switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

Boatlake wrote: »

Thank you.

Hi secondc

Many thanks

~Linzi
    Ok  So you can't block calls. I am receiving them too. All the time. It never stops.
    Does anybody know?
    Hi Boatlake

For more information and advice on scam calls please click here.

Many thanks
    Linzi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thank you.

Hi secondc

Many thanks

~Linzi
    Does anybody know?
    Nobody can block them, the numbers they use are not real. They are just flooding the Irish market at the moment.
    It would require governmental action to go after the perpetrators in conjunction with the Indian authorities. But there are loads of them operating all over the place.
    Example from the US
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-charges-makes-an-example-of-indian-call-center-scam-artists/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fritzelly wrote: »

Thank you.

Hi secondc

Many thanks

~Linzi
    Does anybody know?
    Nobody can block them, the numbers they use are not real. They are just flooding the Irish market at the moment.
    It would require governmental action to go after the perpetrators in conjunction with the Indian authorities. But there are loads of them operating all over the place.
    Example from the US
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-charges-makes-an-example-of-indian-call-center-scam-artists/
    Your not telling me that Eir can't see a large volume of calls that are coming from a small number of numbers?

They probably do and rub their hands thinking *money*.

• Advertisement

The numbers are not real and they change all the time, even if you block one they just create another.
    This isn't some scammer calling from his home, they have somewhat sophisticated systems they use.

And how exactly are eir profiting from this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Does anybody know?

You’re not making any sense. Your elderly relative has a landline phone so that callers can contact him or her by phone.
    How are Éir supposed to know which calls are genuine and which are scams?
    Your elderly relative needs to get a phone which displays who the call is coming from when the phone is ringing.
    So
    “Mary”
    “Paddy”
    “John”
    “GP surgery”
    “Pharmacy”
    Etc. and simply not answer if they don’t recognize the caller.

my3cents wrote: »
    Your not telling me that Eir can't see a large volume of calls that are coming from a small number of numbers?

This is ridiculous. Eir arent monitoring calls incoming to your relatives phone. You do realise that your relative doesn’t pay for calls she/he receives?

splinter65 wrote: »

This is ridiculous. Eir arent monitoring calls incoming to your relatives phone. You do realise that your relative doesn’t pay for calls she/he receives?
    Don't be stupid I wasn't talking about monitoring individual calls.

Eir would be a dumber company than even I think they are if they have no idea how much capacity they need to provide. To know how much capacity they need they have to know about the traffic on their network. A large number of calls coming from a few numbers outside the country will show up on any monitoring system.

The whole phone system is computerised and another way of spoting whats going on is to flag phone numbers that don't match there origin. I'm quite sure Eir could spot if they wanted ten thousand calls a day coming from say India that will as an example show up to the customer as coming from Dublin. There will be cases where that traffic is genuine like an Indian call center spoofing an Irish number that its customers can call that will be routed back to India, however it wouldn't be difficult to spot the difference between thousands of genuine calls from thousands of calls from scammers. In none of those cases would Eir have to look at individual numbers or monitor individuals calls, the detail is in the volume.

You have no idea of the antiquated telecom systems in Ireland and across the globe.

• Advertisement

You have no idea of the antiquated telecom systems in Ireland and across the globe.
    Really? On the exchange software I worked with years ago (supplied by Eircom) usage reports were built in and the whole point of using the system was so you knew exactly how your phone system was being used.

How do Eir generate your bill? Its not someone making notes every time you make a connection its all done by computer. The same computers that produce reports on how the network is being utilised. If I know who has called me then Eir know who has called me, the same way they will know if the same originating group of numbers has made 10 thousand calls in a day to Eir customers.

My understanding is that the "antiquated" systems in India (but not just India) try to get around being spotted by using a group of numbers say 1234000 to 12349999 and the autodialers call from random numbers in that group and to a randomised list of numbers in Ireland to be less obvious, still nothing a computerised system can't spot. The large group of numbers also makes it impossible for users to block them.

Most lines are still copper based and using technologies and equipment from decades ago.
    Calls coming in have nothing at all to do with billing software for calls you make out.

Eir do not record every incoming call to every phone in the country.  Caller identity is transient. 

Regardless these scammers are using the likes of Skype and other VOIP services - impossible to block. Even if one account is blocked they set up another and another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bryan48

Why can't telephone companies pick up the keywords these scammers start with like 'this is windows support' or 'calling from your visa centre' or 'this is your broadband provider' or whatever and then cut them off.  It's become a huge nuisance.  If you ignore numbers you don't know you'll miss real calls from new contacts.

Bryan48 wrote: »
    Why can't telephone companies pick up the keywords these scammers start with like 'this is windows support' or 'calling from your visa centre' or 'this is your broadband provider' or whatever and then cut them off.  It's become a huge nuisance.  If you ignore numbers you don't know you'll miss real calls from new contacts.
    Take off the tin foil hat, telecom companies are not listening to your call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Bryan48 wrote: »
    Take off the tin foil hat, telecom companies are not listening to your call
    only the NSA 

Don't be stupid I wasn't talking about monitoring individual calls.

Eir would be a dumber company than even I think they are if they have no idea how much capacity they need to provide. To know how much capacity they need they have to know about the traffic on their network. A large number of calls coming from a few numbers outside the country will show up on any monitoring system.

The whole phone system is computerised and another way of spoting whats going on is to flag phone numbers that don't match there origin. I'm quite sure Eir could spot if they wanted ten thousand calls a day coming from say India that will as an example show up to the customer as coming from Dublin. There will be cases where that traffic is genuine like an Indian call center spoofing an Irish number that its customers can call that will be routed back to India, however it wouldn't be difficult to spot the difference between thousands of genuine calls from thousands of calls from scammers. In none of those cases would Eir have to look at individual numbers or monitor individuals calls, the detail is in the volume.

What a load of absolute nonsense. Eir are running a business and have absolutely zero to gain by monitoring incoming calls. I’ve explained how to help an elderly or vulnerable person avoid scam calls, it’s not rocket science. Either that or abandon the landline and get a mobile. Take your pick.

Just had the 5th call from these scammers this week. Its got to the stage now where they abuse me before I get a chance to complete asking them why they are prepared to earn money by calling people and stealing from them :D. One has told me to "F$$$ OFF" todays yelled "SHUT UP" at me as they ended the call.

I'm starting to suspect that there is more than one company making these calls sometimes they know who I am and ask for Mr "Smith" by name other times they don't seem to have a clue who I am. There also seems to be a difference in the dialing software that is used. The first call today was an autodialer where if you pickup but don't answer the call is automatically dropped, you can hear no background noise but as soon as you speak you can hear the background noise of a call center. The last call had I could hear the background noise of the call center as soon as I picked up the phone and the scam rep started speaking even though I said nothing.

Just thinking about this Eir, this is organised crime that you are facilitating and your doing nothing about it? 

Just had the 5th call from these scammers this week. Its got to the stage now where they abuse me before I get a chance to complete asking them why they are prepared to earn money by calling people and stealing from them :D. One has told me to "F$$$ OFF" todays yelled "SHUT UP" at me as they ended the call.

I'm starting to suspect that there is more than one company making these calls sometimes they know who I am and ask for Mr "Smith" by name other times they don't seem to have a clue who I am. There also seems to be a difference in the dialing software that is used. The first call today was an autodialer where if you pickup but don't answer the call is automatically dropped, you can hear no background noise but as soon as you speak you can hear the background noise of a call center. The last call had I could hear the background noise of the call center as soon as I picked up the phone and the scam rep started speaking even though I said nothing.

Just thinking about this Eir, this is organised crime that you are facilitating and your doing nothing about it? 

Explain how Eir are facilitating organized crime in your professional legal opinion.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

splinter65 wrote: »

Explain how Eir are facilitating organized crime in your professional legal opinion.
    And that is my cue to close the thread. This forum is for customers who have a direct customer query for Eir only.
    I appreciate that it started with some users having complaints about unsolicited calls and if anyone has a new query in relation to that, they can start a new thread for reps. 

Thanks guys. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement