Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term investing challenge

• 20-02-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I’m trying to set up an investing strategy (long term -18 years) for a child allowance. Basically, how to save/increase the value of money that I’ll be receiving every month as a child allowance for the next 18 years. I’ll be starting this year and I was thinking something like 1/3 gold (physical gold bars), 1/3 investment fund (global, index, 5+ risk because it’s a long term), 1/3 real estate investment fund, with possible recalibration every 3 years to keep them 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3

Gold part is easy, I’m already doing it for myself and will just buy more once per year.

I’m more in dilemma about the investment fund. When I look at (for example) statistics for the last 10 years and take into the account the management fees it’s hard to find something useful (profit-making) ☹ Any bits of advice?

Also, is there a comparison of different reits that could be useful for choosing the right one? Anyone already investing and willing to advise?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Any portfolio with a weighting of over about 6% or 7% in property, precious metals or commodities is considered a very high risk strategy to say the least and you got 66% assigned to them.... good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DinaDaRi

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Any portfolio with a weighting of over about 6% or 7% in property, precious metals or commodities is considered a very high risk strategy to say the least and you got 66% assigned to them.... good luck with that.

So...any suggestions for investment fund (I presume you would see that as a better solution?). I couldn't find anything that would bring positive return (when you take management fees into account) for the last 10 years :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

DinaDaRi wrote: »
    So...any suggestions for investment fund (I presume you would see that as a better solution?). I couldn't find anything that would bring positive return (when you take management fees into account) for the last 10 years :(

Nobody can give you a guarantee on this stuff, but generally speaking the best returns are achieved by asset allocation not stock picking. Start by sorting out your asset allocation first. 60+ percent in property and commodities is not it.

Have a look at investment trusts as an alternative to funds, but do your research carefully because NAV, Benchmark and Price can be a bit quirky.

https://www.bmogam.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/fc-investment-trust-plc-factsheet.pdf

Advertisement