Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google ads

Options
  • 20-02-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have a new ecommerce site(<6 months old)
    I am straddling the first and second pages of Google for a good few keywords
    Highest keyword position is 7th spot in page 1.

I'm only getting around 6 organic search clicks per day and its taking me
    around 60 clicks to make a sale.

Talking to Google support team they say my competitors are spending €50 - €80 per day in Google ads and that I would need to spend minimum €30 per day for a month to make any progress. They said it can cost up to €2 per click for some keywords which could be only 15 clicks for €30 spend.

Given that organically it takes me more clicks for one sale does that mean I'm not ready for Google ads yet or are there better ways to get started such as targeting different keywords?

There are improvement I need to make to site but it will take some time as i have limited funds.

Keen to get started with Google ads but dont want to waste my money if too early.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

PS two of my competitors are on boards so I don't want to give name if website but happy to pm it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There are so many variables in the process which might have room to improve:

Keywords.
    SEO - 7th might have room to improve - it often does.
    Ad copy.
    Landing page - 60 clicks to convert needs examining.
    Your website.
    You might not be using Analytics as well as possible - loads of insights in there.
    ... to name a few.

Feel free to PM me a link and I'll have a look.

(FAO EBM mods - zero interest in touting for biz)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

brianb10 wrote: »
    I'm only getting around 6 organic search clicks per day and its taking me
    around 60 clicks to make a sale.

Talking to Google support team they say my competitors are spending €50 - €80 per day in Google ads and that I would need to spend minimum €30 per day for a month to make any progress. They said it can cost up to €2 per click for some keywords which could be only 15 clicks for €30 spend.

Depends on the specific keywords (amongst other things).

If you're currently getting a 1.67% conversion rate from organic traffic, then a paid campaign could convert at a better rate as you have more control over the keywords the visitor is coming in on.

My advice: take Tricky_D up on his offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

'Average' ecom conversion rate is around 3% (so they say), so your site sounds like it could do with some improvements (like the vast majority of sites). Shouldn't take so many clicks to convert someone but lots of variables at play there - the keyword you're ranking for, website, calls to action on the page, etc.

Position 7 isn't bad but if you are only ranking on page 1 for one keyword there's lots to be done. If that keyword proves valuable you can create new content that relates to the theme of the keyword and link to it from the page the position 7 keyword is ranking for.

That should give the new content a lift and you'll start ranking for more keywords then, since you're boosting the authority of the new content by linking from content that already has some authority.

As for Google Ads, remember that Google's main aim is of course to make money - don't bid on broad match keywords and be sure to include lots of negatives to filter irrelevant and unprofitable clicks.

Also, if you do run ads, be sure to set up remarketing! Most people who land on your site you won't see again, but if you retarget them you can reach them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Hey OP,

Have you considered other mean of advertising like social media?

I know Google can be quite costly especially if there is high competition.

All the cost factors really come down to your website and sales value.

I run my own marketing agency and would be happy to have a quick chat to help you out.

Advertisement