Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jaysus, that's sounds ominous on Carbery.
    https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1310922124337479680

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah not great at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah not great at all

That's the problem with ligaments, they heal when then heal, not a hell of a lot you can do about them. All you can do is rest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's the problem with ligaments, they heal when then heal, not a hell of a lot you can do about them. All you can do is rest them.

Ah I was in no doubt it would take a while yet and could be sooner but it just doesn't sound great. Hopefully whenever he does come back he has lengthy period without any injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I posted this in the Ulster thread talking about Stewart Moore but it's nice play by Healy as well. He runs square to hold the defence to buy Moore extra space so he can get to the outside of the would-be tackler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Le Bruise wrote: »
    So annoying that BT and Eir Sport are no longer a package. Pay a small fortune for them both now and don't watch any other sport only rugby on them.
    now TV for one day is €10 and I think it's only €17 for a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭OldRio

now TV for one day is €10 and I think it's only €17 for a month

As far as I know, the pro12 is not on Now TV for viewers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Any chance that Farrell was onto JVG and that we will see Conway at FB tomorrow?

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Any chance that Farrell was onto JVG and that we will see Conway at FB tomorrow?

Conway is a great winger, why would you play him at FB? I'd rather see a ten at FB rather than a winger. We have 3 FBs at the club now. I'd say there's zero chance of Conway switching.

It would make more sense for coaches to forget this nonsense of playing wingers at full back and start playing actual full backs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Another talented player Schmidt has broken. Taking him to the World Cup and playing him with an injury was criminal...

• Advertisement

Conway is a great winger, why would you play him at FB? I'd rather see a ten at FB rather than a winger. We have 3 FBs at the club now. I'd say there's zero chance of Conway switching.

It would make more sense for coaches to forget this nonsense of playing wingers at full back and start playing actual full backs there.

I guess I was thinking about the upcoming Ireland fixtures and their options at fullback.

Larmour who was the man in possession of the 15 jersey is playing on the wing this weekend

Stockdale who normally plays on the wing has been playing at FB quite a bit.

Conway has played a bit at FB (albeit not recently) I just thought he might be an option for Farrell there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Personally, I'd still play Conway on the wing also, but I disagree with this sentiment, tbh. Players who can play multiple positions will always be valuable. I think given the financial situation rugby is heading into, they could become increasingly valuable.

aloooof wrote: »
    Personally, I'd still play Conway on the wing also, but I disagree with this sentiment, tbh. Players who can play multiple positions will always be valuable. I think given the financial situation rugby is heading into, they could become increasingly valuable.

I don't agree. You can always throw a FB, nine, centre out on the wing, but you can't just throw a winger into FB.
    Well you can.... and get your arse handed to you by England or Sarries or pretty much any team with a good kick-chase.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/10/02/team-named-munster-side-to-face-scarlets-2/#post

Team named for Scarlets

Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Darren Sweetnam; JJ Hanrahan, Craig Casey; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Gavin Coombes, Neil Cronin, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.

Strong team, No Niall Scannell?

Mad that JJ gets the start. JVG afraid to drop under performers. Healy showed himself to be better in almost every way and still no start?

Mad that JJ gets the start. JVG afraid to drop under performers. Healy showed himself to be better in almost every way and still no start?

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah this worries me. What are the chances of JJ being true to form and playing very solidly in matches like this, giving an image of being in good form only to sh1t the bed in a big game yet again.
    In the process slows up Healy's (potential) development.

JVG shouldn't wait for another JJ bad day to justify starting Healy imo.

I don't agree. You can always throw a FB, nine, centre out on the wing, but you can't just throw a winger into FB.
    Well you can.... and get your arse handed to you by England or Sarries or pretty much any team with a good kick-chase.

It's not just throwing him in there, tho, like he's a novice to the position. I think in 2017-18, say, the majority of his minutes were at 15 for example?

Take Zebo as a comparison; I'd say about 40% of his starts were at FB while 60% were on the wing.

Healy is only 21, lads. He's had 1 start and 2 sub appearances. I'm hopeful he'll pick up plenty of minutes this season. Surely the fact he's getting the bench spot is a positive. (Rather than looking at him not start as a negative).

Add in the fact that Casey is starting. That would be an extremely inexperienced half-back pairing. The JJ selection is absolutely the right selection, imo.

• Advertisement

Add in the fact that Casey is starting. That would be an extremely inexperienced half-back pairing. The JJ selection is absolutely the right selection, imo.

JJ has been with us long enough to know he's never going to be anything beyond average...at best average. He hasn't the minerals for the big games. How many times are we going to play him before it sinks in.

It's not just throwing him in there, tho, like he's a novice to the position. I think in 2017-18, say, the majority of his minutes were at 15 for example?

Take Zebo as a comparison; I'd say about 40% of his starts were at FB while 60% were on the wing.

I'm sure Conway could do a job at FB at club level, but maybe cast your mind back to when he was actually playing FB at Munster, it was keystone cops level back 3 stuff happening regularly.
    yerrahbah wrote: »

Again, playing wingers at FB has played a large part in Ulster, Leinster and Ireland's fortunes from 2019 on.

JJ has been with us long enough to know he's never going to be anything beyond average...at best average. He hasn't the minerals for the big games. How many times are we going to play him before it sinks in.

There's a middle ground between developing Healy this season and also using JJ. Which is exactly what I expect to happen.

JJ starting this one game doesn't negate that. Especially so with Casey also starting.

There's a middle ground between developing Healy this season and also using JJ. Which is exactly what I expect to happen.

JJ starting this one game doesn't negate that. Especially so with Casey also starting.

If you want to develop a player you give them game time. The weather is going to be horrendous and Healy has a big boot but we're going with a guy who's kicking range is probably the shortest in the Pro 14.. Nothing a bout this makes sense to me.
    Also it's not like JJ is a guiding hand to Casey, JJ's barely able to take care of himself.

If you want to develop a player you give them game time. The weather is going to be horrendous and Healy has a big boot but we're going with a guy who's kicking range is probably the shortest in the Pro 14.. Nothing a bout this makes sense to me.
    Also it's not like JJ is a guiding hand to Casey, JJ's barely able to take care of himself.

You're making out like it's a crazy decision when between them they have, what, 4 starts maybe?

I'm clearly not gonna change your mind, but what you're calling for (Healy getting starts) I expect to happen this season.

You're making out like it's a crazy decision when between them they have, what, 4 starts maybe?

I'm clearly not gonna change your mind, but what you're calling for (Healy getting starts) I expect to happen this season.

You have to send a message. After that sh1tshow versus Leinster, you should automatically be dropped back to second choice. Allowing players to start games because they are "senior" has got to stop or Munster will never progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

And Ben will get loads of game time. There is 5/6 games before europe. He will get loads of game time in these games.

Is Keynan Knox injured?

• Administrators Posts: 53,994 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You are never going to build a team of 23 superstars. Every team needs it's share of average players who can tog out in the Prowhatever to make up the numbers.

JJ Hanrahan has a future for Munster as a league player. No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,740 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah but.....

JJ right now is the primary out half in the club.

Joey is crocked.

Is JJ good enough at the business end of the season to bring silverware?

Advertisement