Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Great interview with Ronan O Gara, on off the ball...

no bull**** as usual from ROG..

Also, I have to say, Joe knows ****all, but he's very good-he's definitley improving as an interviewer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Great interview with Ronan O Gara, on off the ball...

no bull**** as usual from ROG..

Also, I have to say, Joe knows ****all, but he's very good-he's definitley improving as an interviewer.

Would that be 5 time IMRO Sports Broadcaster of the Year Joe Molloy you're talking about? He's been one of the best sports interviewers around for years.

maybe, I have no idea...
    he wasn´t much good with rugby, i thought. but i like him forming questions.

but thanks for letting me know. I am now enjoying his interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's not massively knowledgable on rugby but no presenter is about every sport. He is very apt at moving an interview along nicely though and knowing when to speak and when to shut up. With ROG, if you keep your mouth shut and listen, he's generally going to give you a very insightful and thoughtful interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Molloy is a great interviewer in general but in terms of rugby he is VERY Leinster biased. Understandable, given he is a Leinster man but I remember he nearly had a conniption when he heard Carbery was moving south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Molloy is a great interviewer in general but in terms of rugby he is VERY Leinster biased. Understandable, given he is a Leinster man but I remember he nearly had a conniption when he heard Carbery was moving south.

You're mixing up Ger Gilroy with Joe Molloy. Gilroy is the one with the bee in his bonnet about players having free will. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

Buer wrote: »
    With ROG, if you keep your mouth shut and listen, and ignore your producer screaming in your ear about "dead air", he's generally going to give you a very insightful and thoughtful interview.

FYP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

You're mixing up Ger Gilroy with Joe Molloy. Gilroy is the one with the bee in his bonnet about players having free will. :D

You're dead right, I am. My apologies to Joe Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/10/19/omahony-and-farrell-link-up-with-ireland-squad/

Casey and Wycherley back with Munster,

At least they get the full week training with the team before the Cardiff game

Likely to be missing:

With Ireland

Beirne
    O'Mahony
    John Ryan
    Stander
    Conway
    Daly
    Farrell
    Murray

Injured:

N.Scannell
    N. Cronin
    Earls
    Snyman
    Carbery
    Kilcoyne
    LO'Connor

Possible team

J.Cronin, R.Marshall, Archer, Kleyn, Wycherley, JO'D, Cloete, JO'S, Casey, Healy, Sweetnam, DDA, Goggin, Nash, Haley.

Loughman, KO'B, Salanoa, G.Coombes, TO'D, McCarthy, JJ, Gallagher

Other players who may make an appearance:

D.Barron,
    K.Knox
    B.Holland
    J.Hodnett
    J.Crowley
    R.Scannell
    A.McHenry
    L.Coombes

Billy Holland will be involved and Cloete is still listed as injured by Munster. I'd also expect Goggin to start at 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Rory Scannell over McHenry surely? At least in the 23. McHenry did not have a great game v Edinburgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Caranica wrote: »
    Rory Scannell over McHenry surely? At least in the 23. McHenry did not have a great game v Edinburgh

He surely deserves a second shot. Scannell and Goggin are 12s, so I'd much rather McHenry starts.

Billy Holland will be involved and Cloete is still listed as injured by Munster. I'd also expect Goggin to start at 13.

Good shout, forgot about him, Goggin to start at 13

Cloete is due back training this week I believe

He surely deserves a second shot. Scannell and Goggin are 12s, so I'd much rather McHenry starts.
    Goggin has started almost as many games at 13 (16) as he has at 12 (18) for Munster. To say he's a only a 12 is wrong. And McHenry didn't look ready against Edinburgh and probably wouldn't have been involved if it wasn't for so many players self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

don't like to be too harsh on a young player but McHenry was way out of his depth. Be unfair to put him in again any time soon. A few sub appearances to ease him back and see if he can improve but doesn't look ready at all

It was his first game, he'll get plenty of chances over the next few weeks with Farrell away

Munster have put up the 2nd pre-season game vs Connacht on youtube

McHenry played the 2nd half and I thought he was one of our better players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iMOUdyHtI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

McHenry was very good with DDA inside him in the ore season game. I'd like to see Casey, Healy DDA, McHenry, I think having DDA's presence at 22 takes a huge pressure off of the 13 channell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wouldn't be taking a performance v Edinburgh as a reason not to select a player going forward, they hardly trained as a team for that game. We were probably lucky to be allowed to get a team on the field.

I don't think there's room for experimenting against Cardiff. We just about got away with it against Edinburgh and this will be a crucial conference game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think there's room for experimenting against Cardiff. We just about got away with it against Edinburgh.

The problem is it's difficult to know how much of that was by design and how much was enforced due to the Covid circumstances. It might be the case as the season goes on that we have limited enough options, but hopefully not.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    The problem is it's difficult to know how much of that was by design and how much was enforced due to the Covid circumstances. It might be the case as the season goes on that we have limited enough options, but hopefully not.

I think there was definitely an element of trying some new faces against Edinburgh, regardless of Covid.

I think there was definitely an element of trying some new faces against Edinburgh, regardless of Covid.
    I don't think we'd have gone with McHenry if one everyone had been available when we were going with Casey and Healy at 9 and 10.

JVG said that the team was picked at the last minute on the Thursday when they knew who was available. It was basically play whoever was fit and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd like to see:
    15. Gallagher, 14. Nash, 13. Goggin, 12. de Allende, 11. Sweetnam, 10. Hanrahan, 9. McCarthy,
    8. O'Sullivan, 7. O'Donnell, 6. O'Donoghue, 5. Holland, 4. Kleyn, 3. Archer, 2. O'Byrne, 1. Cronin.

16. Barron, 17. Loughman, 18. Knox, 19. Wycherley, 20. G. Coombes, 21. Casey, 22. Healy, 23. L. Coombes.

Everything put back by two days this week due to the Monday game. The weeks training doesn't start until Wednesday with the team announced at noon on Sunday. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/10/19/this-week-at-munster-rugby/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

FrannoFan wrote: »
    don't like to be too harsh on a young player but McHenry was way out of his depth. Be unfair to put him in again any time soon. A few sub appearances to ease him back and see if he can improve but doesn't look ready at all

I agree he was poor but the only way he gets up to speed is by playing, dropping him off into purgatory for a few months may have the complete opposite effect and trash his confidence and make him worse,

You have to give him more opportunities and make a judgement call after a more significant amount of time, he was also playing one of the best teams in the pro14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I agree he was poor but the only way he gets up to speed is by playing, dropping him off into purgatory for a few months may have the complete opposite effect and trash his confidence and make him worse,

You have to give him more opportunities and make a judgement call after a more significant amount of time, he was also playing one of the best teams in the pro14

That's well and good and if we were playing Zebre or Dragons absolutely. Blues are one of the unbeaten teams in the Pro whatever it is, we need a win so should play our best team. McHenry is still down the pecking order.

The demise of the B&I cup really didn't get enough attention. Taking away an opportunity for players like McHenry to get regular game time to fight their way into the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Caranica wrote: »
    That's well and good and if we were playing Zebre or Dragons absolutely. Blues are one of the unbeaten teams in the Pro whatever it is, we need a win so should play our best team. McHenry is still down the pecking order.

The demise of the B&I cup really didn't get enough attention. Taking away an opportunity for players like McHenry to get regular game time to fight their way into the team.

I think I'd largely agree, tbh. With the way the opening fixtures have gone, a win for Munster would us in a very favourable position in the conference. Opportunities then for the likes of McHenry over the next 5 fixtures or so.

As an aside, is it just me or do the 2 conferences look pretty unbalanced?

Nobody would have said that when they were rejigged at the start of last season. It's what happens when you only rejig every second season. Some teams regress while other excel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I think I'd largely agree, tbh. With the way the opening fixtures have gone, a win for Munster would us in a very favourable position in the conference. Opportunities then for the likes of McHenry over the next 5 fixtures or so.

wouldn't worry about conferences too much
    Also they were discussing the format after Christmas (which is obviously all up in the air)
    there will be four conferences of four
    irish
    SA
    Welsh
    Scots/Italian

top two in each progress to quarters.
    seems to heavily favour welsh while disproportionately hurting irish considering 3/4 semi finalists were from Ireland last year.

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    wouldn't worry about conferences too much
    Also they were discussing the format after Christmas (which is obviously all up in the air)
    there will be four conferences of four
    irish
    SA
    Welsh
    Scots/Italian

top two in each progress to quarters.
    seems to heavily favour welsh while disproportionately hurting irish considering 3/4 semi finalists were from Ireland last year.

That can´t be true.... where did you read that? (not knocking you by the way)

that has to be one of the worst league designs, it's what they tried in super rugby, ruined that too.

Advertisement