Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Six rounds of PRO 14 played

Munster have used 40 players

With 6 being involved in every game so far
    R.Scannell, Casey, J.Cronin, KO’B, JO’D, G.Coombes

12 different try scorers, seven forwards and five backs
    With G.Coombes getting six, O’Byrne getting three, JO’D and Gallagher getting two each.

Four yellow cards, one each for JO’D and Holland.
    With PO’M picking up two which lead to our only red card

Mins played

Player Mins after 6 games
    R.Scannell 418
    Casey 415
    Haley 400
    JOD 387
    De Allende 371
    G.Coombes 315
    Gallagher 311
    Ben Healy 303
    J.Cronin 294
    KO'B 292
    Kleyn 288
    Sweetnam 279
    F.Wycherley 278
    Holland 256
    Nash 240
    Archer 234
    Hodnett 194
    JJH 177
    Conway 160
    Ryan 160
    Beirne 160
    Stander 160
    Marshall 148
    TOD 138
    O'Sullivan 110
    J.Wycherley 104
    Goggin 83
    Loughman 82
    Farrell 80
    POM 67
    Knox 66
    McHenry 50
    McCarthy 41
    Barron 40
    Salanoa 20
    Ahern 19
    Murray 17
    Cloete 15
    Flannery 8
    N.Cronin 7

Players yet to feature:
    Carbery, L.Coombes, Daly, Earls, Kilcoyne, O'Connor, N.Scannell, Snyman

See below for a comparison to this time last season

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Six rounds of PRO 14 played

Munster have used 42 players

With eight being involved in every game so far

Rory Scannell, Tyler Bleyendaal, JJ, Loughman, KO’B, Archer, JO’D and Botha.

In terms of minutes played

Rory Scannell is top with 440, JO’D with 414, S.Daly has 400, Haley has 385 and Botha with 356

16 different try scorers, eight forwards and eight backs

With Botha getting three, Alby getting three and Haley getting two.

Three yellow cards, one each for Haley, James Cronin and Rhys Marshall

Player Mins played
    R.Scannell 440
    JOD 414
    S. Daly 400
    Haley 385
    Botha 356
    Holland 336
    JJH 309
    Archer 305
    Whycherley 291
    KOB 290
    Goggin 288
    TB 260
    TOD 258
    Sweetnam 240
    J Loughman 236
    Alby M 229
    C. Nash 175
    J Cronin 171
    Cloete 148
    Darren O'Shea 130
    Nick McC 124
    R. Marshall 110
    LOC 104
    L. Coombes 97
    N.Cronin 91
    Knox 91
    Holloway 89
    S. Arnold 86
    POM 80
    Conway 80
    C. Farrell 80
    Stander 66
    N. Scannell 66
    JOS 66
    J. Ryan 53
    J. Kleyn 48
    Wooton 40
    G. Coombes 25
    C. Murray 24
    Oliver 22
    Barron 19
    C. Casey 12

Players yet to feature:
    Beirne, Carbery, Earls, Killer, Sean O'Connor, Parker, Scott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's a few players that are just back from injury that could do with starts. I'd expect to see LOC and Goggin start against Zebre. Craig Casey will likely get a week off so McCarthy and Ben Murphy will be in the 23. I hope Crowley or Flannery start at 10, it's an obvious game to have a look at one of them.

I only just realised there's a week off between Zebre and Quins so perhaps Casey will get another start. I don't think there's much value in starting Nick McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I only just realised there's a week off between Zebre and Quins so perhaps Casey will get another start. I don't think there's much value in starting Nick McCarthy.

I'd protect Casey next week, we don't know what condition Murray will come back from Ireland duty in. I'm not a McCarthy fan but I'd start him with the temporary replacement 9 we have on the bench.

Caranica wrote: »
    I'd protect Casey next week, we don't know what condition Murray will come back from Ireland duty in. I'm not a McCarthy fan but I'd start him with the temporary replacement 9 we have on the bench.

That's fair. Casey has started every game so probably no harm.

The Munster squad returned to training at the HPC on Wednesday ahead of Monday night’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Zebre at Thomond Park (8.15pm).

There is positive news on injury front as both Chris Cloete (neck) and Liam Coombes (hamstring) will return to full team training this week and become available for selection.

There were no fresh injury concerns following Monday’s bonus-point win away to Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun.

Unavailable: Alex McHenry (thumb), John Hodnett (achilles), Jeremy Loughman (shoulder), Niall Scannell (neck), Neil Cronin (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (ankle), RG Snyman (knee), Joey Carbery (ankle).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/11/25/squad-update-preparations-begin-for-zebre-clash/

• Advertisement

I'd go for something like:

LOC, Barron, Knox, Holland, Ahern, JOD, JOS, G Coombes
    McCarthy, Crowley, Nash, DDA, Goggin, L Coombes, Gallagher

Marshall, Wycherley, Salanoa, Kleyn, Cloete, Murphy, Flannery, Sweetnam

Injured: Scannell, Loughman, Kilcoyne, Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, McHenry
    Ireland: Ryan, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Farrell, Earls, Daly, Conway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'd go for something like:

LOC, Barron, Knox, Holland, Ahern, JOD, JOS, G Coombes
    McCarthy, Crowley, Nash, DDA, Goggin, L Coombes, Gallagher

Marshall, Wycherley, Salanoa, Kleyn, Cloete, Murphy, Flannery, Sweetnam

Injured: Scannell, Loughman, Kilcoyne, Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, McHenry
    Ireland: Ryan, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Farrell, Earls, Daly, Conway

Some nice calls and the lack of power in the second row is fine considering the opposition.

Some nice calls and the lack of power in the second row is fine considering the opposition.

It's an ideal game for it. DDA and Goggin offer good carrying in midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd be pretty happy with something like that. I wonder tho is JJ likely to be involved, considering he's had relatively little gametime the last 2-3 weeks and with Europe the next game up?

I think I'd favour Healy to start vs Quins, but if JJ is gonna be on the bench, he might be likely to pick up some time in this one.

As an aside, Calvin Nash is quietly going about having a very solid season so far.

Hard to predict a team,

I reckon McCarthy and JJ will the the halfbacks.

I'd probably start Marshall

The likes of Goggin, O'Connor, Salanoa and Cloete all need game time

Whitehouse is the ref :o

Annoyed that the first game we have the internationals back is a European game,

some big calls to be made in 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Yeah, as well as Healy has done lately, I'd still be starting JJ in the Champions Cup. He's the senior player, and Healy is still year 3 in the Academy.
    So this will surely be a warm-up for the bigger games to come.

I thought I saw it mentioned on the Munster website that the team will be announced on Sunday around midday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Whitehouse is the ref :o

You can't be serious :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah, as well as Healy has done lately, I'd still be starting JJ in the Champions Cup. He's the senior player, and Healy is still year 3 in the Academy.

I can't agree. JJ came on against Glasgow and first action was to drop a ball in our 22 off a restart. I realise the conditions were shocking, but JJ is always doing stuff like that. I think Healy is already a much better player in every area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I can't agree. JJ came on against Glasgow and first action was to drop a ball in our 22 off a restart. I realise the conditions were shocking, but JJ is always doing stuff like that. I think Healy is already a much better player in every area.

He hasn't been great this season alright, the first day out against Scarlets he was poor; I wonder did his confidence take a knock after the SF against Leinster.

I think I'd be favouring Healy too. He's shown some nice exchanges with DDA, has a lovely pass and has shown up with some strong tackles in the last game or 2.

Also, Quins at home is the easiest of the 4 fixtures, so if you were leaning towards going with him, it's the perfect match to introduce him to European rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    You can't be serious :mad:
    Are you ever happy with a ref selected for Munster games?
    I wouldnt say Ben is much better in every area but going well so far

As good as Healy has been I would probably start JJ vs Quins.

For the simple reason I would prefer to have an experienced head at 10 away to Clermont the following week.

But there isn't much to choose between them at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

aloooof wrote: »
    He hasn't been great this season alright, the first day out against Scarlets he was poor; I wonder did his confidence take a knock after the SF against Leinster.

I think I'd be favouring Healy too. He's shown some nice exchanges with DDA, has a lovely pass and has shown up with some strong tackles in the last game or 2.

Also, Quins at home is the easiest of the 4 fixtures, so if you were leaning towards going with him, it's the perfect match to introduce him to European rugby.

Healy's kicking from hand has been mixed, he's missed a few touches recently. I think JJ would be slaughtered on for doing the same. That dropped ball was unfortunate but the conditions were horrendous, he wasn't the only one to spill the ball that night.

I'd still give Healy the jersey for the season that being said - long-term gains and all that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And in the same match Healy kicked out on the full from a restart, kicked a penalty dead and kicked a ball dead from near his own 5m line.

The weather was atrocious and he had just come on cold. Anyone could drop a ball in that situation.

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd be pretty happy with something like that. I wonder tho is JJ likely to be involved, considering he's had relatively little gametime the last 2-3 weeks and with Europe the next game up?

I think I'd favour Healy to start vs Quins, but if JJ is gonna be on the bench, he might be likely to pick up some time in this one.

As an aside, Calvin Nash is quietly going about having a very solid season so far.

Agreed, JJ will almost certainly be involved. I'd still like to see Crowley or Flannery at 10 so perhaps JJ could start at 12 with DDA pushed to 13.

I'd go for Healy against Quins. Backing youth so far this season has served us well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

There's no reason why they can't go JJ/Murray for one set of European games and Casey/Healy for the other. (whether they make that split by home/away or by team I don't know.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

There's no reason why they can't go JJ/Murray for one set of European games and Casey/Healy for the other. (whether they make that split by home/away or by team I don't know.)

Of course they could, wouldn't be the right choice in my opinion, Healy should be given the nod and trusted, Casey and Murray should be seen as a partnership, Murray to start games and get control, Casey on when the game loosens up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you ever happy with a ref selected for Munster games?

The internet police for referees has arrived :D

To answer your question it's a simple yes

I'd say most rugby fans would acknowledge that Ben Whitehouse is on the low level of being a good ref, he makes terrible blunders and worse he's not consistent. For me he's up there with the Chanleng brothers. I rarely enjoy a match that he refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

To answer your question it's a simply yes

I'd say most rugby fans would acknowledge that Ben Whitehouse is on the low level of being a good ref, he makes terrible blunders and worse he's not consistent. For me he's up there with the Chanleng brothers. I rarely enjoy a match that he refs.
    The guy used the term "medium force" to describe direct contact with the head with no mitigating circumstances to talk himself down to a yellow card in a Munster game last year. Consistently bad is the one sure thing you can say about Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

For the simple reason I would prefer to have an experienced head at 10 away to Clermont the following week.

You may as well try and get Keatley back with that attitude.

Healy has done everything asked of him. He will start next to the experience of Murray.

Let him at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Irish Independent Park is no more! Long live Musgrave Park!
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/11/30/cork-stadium-name-change/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Just in time for the renaming of Thomond Park!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

To answer your question it's a simple yes

Have you ever said anything good about a ref?

A lot of your criticisms of refs is when Munster lose. :rolleyes:

You seem to know so much about poor refereeing yet can never talk about good refereeing performances. Why not actually try ref? MAR always looking for refs. You're such an expert im sure you'll do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

This is the sort of conservatism that has led to the mediocrity that we have had for years.

Healy is in better form and has had more impact so therefore is the man we should start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Healy has to be first choice. I would like to see them go the whole hog and make Casey first choice as well but they'll probably stick with Murray :mad: Healy has to start in Europe. And if he goes well, I could see him getting a call up to the Ireland squad for the 6 Nations.

Advertisement