Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Irish Independent Park is no more! Long live Musgrave Park!
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/11/30/cork-stadium-name-change/

Hurray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Have you ever said anything good about a ref?

A lot of your criticisms of refs is when Munster lose. :rolleyes:

You seem to know so much about poor refereeing yet can never talk about good refereeing performances. Why not actually try ref? MAR always looking for refs. You're such an expert im sure you'll do very well.

Yes

No they're not

Yawn

While it wasn't everyone's cup of tea that's a loss of revenue which will need to be sourced elsewhere or managed without, neither option being a great one at this moment in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It’s a financial hit, but they were gutter journalism. Delighted to be rid of them.

If they can stop trying to give out papers at the grounds next that’d be great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Healy has to be first choice. I would like to see them go the whole hog and make Casey first choice as well but they'll probably stick with Murray :mad: Healy has to start in Europe. And if he goes well, I could see him getting a call up to the Ireland squad for the 6 Nations.

I'd be happy if Casey is at least used as a live option off the bench, coming on around 55-60 mins, say.

In the 3 big European games last season after Matthewson left (2 Saracens games and Racing away) Murray played all but 10 mins. I don't see any reason why that should be the case this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    Yes

No they're not

Yawn
    Links to it? Why not stop whining about refs. We get it. Theyre all crap but if they are all so bad then what would you like to be done about them to help improve standards?
    bennyl10 wrote: »
    It’s a financial hit, but they were gutter journalism. Delighted to be rid of them.

If they can stop trying to give out papers at the grounds next that’d be great
    There was good supplement every week in the paper which given the papers circulation was good coverage.
    Its only good if there is a replacement which given the current climate is unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Can definitely see sense in starting Murray as he is still a very good scrum Half whereas Hanrahan is a journeyman 10 at this rate, a good player but not what we need if we want to win trophies. Murray at 9 and Healy at 10 would be my choice but Casey is a good option in the final 20 minutes and he’s also something different to Murray so may cause some surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd go for Murray and Healy. Casey can be a great change of pace from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I don’t think there’s much between Healy and Hanrahan right now. I’d start Healy with Murray, because Murray is always going to start, then have Casey and Hanrahan to come on. Hanrahan is an ideal bench fly half, he also plays centre and fullback.

Links to it? Why not stop whining about refs. We get it. Theyre all crap but if they are all so bad then what would you like to be done about them to help improve standards?

Why don't you just chill.

Ref like players will get bad press, especially when they're poor.

Ignore me if it's a real issue for you,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Not going to get my usual dig into JJ, so I'm just going to say, I'd start Healy. Back 5 forward selection will be really interesting likewise the back 3.

Why don't you just chill.

Ref like players will get bad press, especially when they're poor.

Ignore me if it's a real issue for you,
    I understand criticism of refs when its warranted but you seem to have an issue almost every game. That suggests something else..

I understand criticism of refs when its warranted but you seem to have an issue almost every game. That suggests something else..

only in your eyes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Have you ever said anything good about a ref?

A lot of your criticisms of refs is when Munster lose. :rolleyes:

You seem to know so much about poor refereeing yet can never talk about good refereeing performances. Why not actually try ref? MAR always looking for refs. You're such an expert im sure you'll do very well.

Id argue that a good refereeing performance is one where the ref was consistent , effective and wasn't a significant factor for the game and therefore wasn't particularly noticed and thus no comment would be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I don’t think there’s much between Healy and Hanrahan right now. I’d start Healy with Murray, because Murray is always going to start, then have Casey and Hanrahan to come on. Hanrahan is an ideal bench fly half, he also plays centre and fullback.

I'd agree very much with the above.

Casey coming on in the last 15/20 could wreak havoc - he'll have plenty of time in the 9 jersey, let him get experience off the bench to begin with (unless Murray's form falls off a complete cliff).

JJ to hopefully be the steady pair of hands off the bench who can provide cover elsewhere. Both will get plenty of game-time given injuries to Joey and amount of games to be played. Maybe one will put the hand up over the other.

Thomas Ahern make his PRO14 start tonight.
    Fineen Wycherly out.
    Tommy O'Donnell is added to the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

The internet police for referees has arrived :D

To answer your question it's a simple yes

I'd say most rugby fans would acknowledge that Ben Whitehouse is on the low level of being a good ref, he makes terrible blunders and worse he's not consistent. For me he's up there with the Chanleng brothers. I rarely enjoy a match that he refs.

Jesus I'd forgotten about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some headscratchers for JvG ahead of the next group of matches - backrow combinations - JOD/POM/CJ/Coombes/ probably the frontrunners. Cloete and TOD next off the rank. Who do we pick? I'd go Coombes/POM/CJ myself with JOD on the bench - don't think you can leave Coombes out at this stage.

Hooker - KOB v Marshall... I think KOB deserves his start but happy with either.

Outhalf - JJ really put his hand back up tonight, a timely reminder. It'll be tight to call.

Fullback - Haley/Gallagher/Daly - Gallagher could be out for a while based on how much pain he looked in...

I don't think he'll drop Murray to be honest, nor should he. Casey could be a great weapon off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Talk of Glasgow being interested in Healy. Didn't know he qualifies for Scotland too. https://www.the42.ie/ben-healy-munster-glasgow-5284476-Nov2020/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray Kinsella reports that Glasgow have offered Ben Healy a professional contract and a significant pay increase compared to the academy contract he's currently on. He qualifies for Scotland through his mother and Gregor Townsend views him as a player with huge potential. The IRFU are not in negotiations with any Irish players currently so this could be a goer. Healy's contract expires next summer.

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/1333554999985643522?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

More than likely just Healys agent stirring shīte and fair play to him for doing it but Christ, I hope we don't lose him.

He's the most promising 10 from the province in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Well ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There isn't a hope in hell that he goes even if it's a genuine offer. He'd be insane to leave Munster for Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Buer wrote: »
    There isn't a hope in hell that he goes even if it's a genuine offer. He'd be insane to leave Munster for Glasgow.

Senior Contracts on the table versus contract talks delayed. Think IRFU and Munster need to act here regardless

I read somewhere recently that Glasgow and Embra will be having a bit of a clear out at the end of the season.

I Have heard that POM is off to La Rochelle and that there might be another Munster player heading there too next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Buer wrote: »

Why?
    To go from an academy contract to a full blown pro contract and be the Scottish 10 for the next 10 years possibly....it's far from insane...and with the recent noises from the irfu about contracts...I think this rumour has some of us quite worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm not concerned. The Scottish teams can't hang on to their stars so I'm certain Munster will be able to compete with any offer from Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Why?
    To go from an academy contract to a full blown pro contract and be the Scottish 10 for the next 10 years possibly....it's far from insane...and with the recent noises from the irfu about contracts...I think this rumour has some of us quite worried

He could be the Irish 10 for 10 years as well. In fact given that Sexton is 35 with no obvious heir apparent and Finn Russell is 28 with Adam Hastings also on the scene I'd say he has more chance of being the Irish 10 than the Scottish 10 in the short to medium term.

Although he is still a bit away from being either at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

bilston wrote: »
    He could be the Irish 10 for 10 years as well. In fact given that Sexton is 35 with no obvious heir apparent and Finn Russell is 28 with Adam Hastings also on the scene I'd say he has more chance of being the Irish 10 than the Scottish 10 in the short to medium term.

Although he is still a bit away from being either at the moment.

The post I replied to stated it would be lunacy for him to leave...it most certainly wouldn't be lunacy, personally I don't think it will come to pass, but stranger things have happened

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why?
    And where would the SRU be getting the money to pay this contract? Unlike the IRFU, they were in dire financial straights before Covid. What must they be like now? He'll be offered a contract at Munster. There's no doubt about that.

• Advertisement

I can see why Glasgow would be interested but in the long term he'd be better off staying in Ireland than heading to Glasgow but it's a nice angle to have when talking contracts.

Advertisement