Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

aloooof wrote: »
    Ronan O'Gara, interesting read and honest to a fault:

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1334583988837617664

Interesting to read and good honesty from him. I have wondered about that myself, how the likes of ROG, BOD, POC etc felt in 2016 when Ireland finally beat the ABs. They all achieved so much and are greats of the game but they have that one constant failure and now their mates (and lesser players) have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

It's a bit like that time Jack Johnson didn't want Joe Louis to win the world title because he wanted to be the only black world heavyweight champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Any news on joey ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Stan27 wrote: »
    Any news on joey ?

They're not giving updates just like they didn't put a timeframe on his recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Looks like a clean bill of health from the internationals. It's going to be a fascinating selection for next weekend.

Does Coombes force his way into the backrow?
    Healy or JJ at 10?
    Does our Ireland contingent in the back three all come back to start having been away from Munster for months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looks like a clean bill of health from the internationals. It's going to be a fascinating selection for next weekend.

Does Coombes force his way into the backrow?
    Healy or JJ at 10?
    Does our Ireland contingent in the back three all come back to start having been away from Munster for months?

I think we should consider resting anyone that’s had a lot of game time over the past 7 weeks with Ireland.

Rest:
    Stander, O’Mahony, Murray, Earls.

Play:
    Farrell, Ryan, Beirne, Conway, Daly.

So maybe,
    Cronin, O’Byrne, Ryan,
    Beirne, Kleyn,
    F Wycherley, Coombes, O’Donoghue (C),
    Casey, Hanrahan,
    Daly, De Allende, Farrell, Conway,
    Haley.

Marshal, J Wycherley, Archer, Aherne, Holland/O’Donnell, McCarthy, Healy, Sweetnam/Nash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think we should consider resting anyone that’s had a lot of game time over the past 7 weeks with Ireland.

Rest:

Play:

So maybe,
    Cronin, O’Byrne, Ryan,
    Beirne, Kleyn,
    Casey, Hanrahan,
    Haley.

Marshal, J Wycherley, Archer, Aherne, Holland/O’Donnell, McCarthy, Healy, Sweetnam/Nash.
    Dont think Munster can afford to do that. Christmas interpros will be when theyre rested. They got a week off before these games. This isnt a game they can afford to rest them

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Rest:

Play:

So maybe,
    Cronin, O’Byrne, Ryan,
    Beirne, Kleyn,
    Casey, Hanrahan,
    Haley.

Resting players for the first European game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

01. Cronin
    02. KOB
    03. Archer
    04. Kleyn
    05. Whycherley
    06. Stander
    07. POM
    08. Coombes
    09. Casey
    10. Healy
    11. Earls
    12. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall 17. Whycherley 18. Knox 19. Beirne 20. JOD 21. Murray 22. JJ 23. Goggin

Would be my preference for next week.

The players who had a lot of gametime got a weekend off prior to the Autumn Nations Cup. I think only Andrew Porter started all four games as well. Unless there are knocks then we'll have a full selection available minus injuries. There's only four games in the pool stages and Munster can't afford to lose to Harlequins at home.

Cronin, KOB, Archer, Kleyn, Beirne, Stander, POM, Coombes;
    Murray, Healy, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, Wycherley, Ryan, Wycherley, JOD, Casey, JJH, Daly

I think what will be interesting is whether some of the more undercooked internationals will be able to feature. John Ryan, Tadhg Beirne and Shane Daly haven't played a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

01. Cronin
    02. KOB
    03. Ryan
    04. Kleyn
    05. Bierne
    06. Stander
    07. POM
    08. Coombes
    09. Casey
    10. Healy
    11. Earls
    12. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall 17. Whycherley 18. Knox 19. Whycherley 20. JOD 21. Murray 22. JJ 23. Daly

Would be my shout.
    Goggin onto the bench and Daly onto the win (probly swap earls over) if Conway still has a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I'd go with

Cronin
    KO'B
    Ryan
    Kleyn
    Beirne
    Coombes
    PO'M
    Stander
    Murray
    JJ
    Earls
    DDA
    Farrell
    Conway
    Haley

Marshall
    Whycherley
    Archer
    Whycherley eile
    JOD
    Casey
    Healy
    Goggin

Although I do like the idea of Coombes coming of the bench at 60mins to run at tired defenders, I think he deserves a start

In terms of mins played by our internationals over the last few weeks

Italy (24 Oct) France (31 Oct) W/E off Wales (13 Nov) Eng (21 Nov) Georgia (29 Nov) Scotland (5 Dec) Total
    Ryan 0 0 0 0 0 40 6 46
    Beirne 80 60 0 16 0 80 0 236
    POM 14 27 0 80 80 19 80 300
    Stander 80 80 0 0 65 80 80 385
    Murray 66 65 0 16 50 56 78 331
    Farrell 0 28 0 80 80 80 2 270
    Conway 80 80 0 80 0 0 0 240
    Earls 0 0 0 10 80 62 80 232
    Daly 0 0 0 0 0 18 0 18

John Ryan was released to Munster for the Ospreys game where he picked up an additional 26 mins

Granted he was injured for a period but not including friendlies Shane Daly has played 18 mins of rugby since the SF loss to Leinster on the 4th of September.

Injuries in the centre meant Farrell played three full games in a row, Henshaw returning yesterday gave him a rest ahead of the European games

Conway and Earls had contrasting fortunes with Conway starting the first 3 games and Earls starting the last 3 games after returning from injury, they spent 10 mins on the field together over the 6 games

O'Mahony, Stander and Murrays gametime will probably need to be closely managed during the Inter-Pros

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

yerrahbah wrote: »
    O'Mahony, Stander and Murrays gametime will probably need to be closely managed during the Inter-Pros

I suspect a lot of the internationals will have the same view of most of the inter-pro games as the rest of us (TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm very happy seeing healey, casey, coombes, the wyscherleys and osullivans tear it up.... nash, sweetnham, conway..... deAllende...
    we are in fear of no one and the boys need the big games....

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of the internationals will have the same view of most of the inter-pro games as the rest of us (TV)

Wont be popular but I'd probably go as strong as possible against Connacht while playing a mix and match teams against Leinster and Ulster.

Connacht being the more important game as they are in the same conference as us

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Wont be popular but I'd probably go as strong as possible against Connacht while playing a mix and match teams against Leinster and Ulster.

Connacht being the more important game as they are in the same conference as us

It's been shown before that the provinces don't prioritise interpros based on the conference split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's been shown before that the provinces don't prioritise interpros based on the conference split.

And certainly this year don’t need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Last year we (the Provinces) had to rest their Irish players for a 2 match period so you either played them in game 1 or game 3.

Looking at last years Christmas interpros and just our RWC contingent

Most players only played 1 game, Carbery played 2 after returning from injury and Kilcoyne played 3 but never more than 55 mins in each game

Game 1 vs Connacht: Farrell, Kilcoyne, Kleyn, and Stander started

Game 2 vs Leinster: Kilcoyne started and Carbery came on as a sub after returning from injury

Game 3 vs Ulster(in what was a shocking performance): Kilcoyne came on as a sub, Conway, Earls, Carbery, Murray, N.Scannell, Ryan and PO'M all started

I'd expect the Munster Leinster game won't have any frontline internationals. Plenty players will have been involved in a 23 for six consecutive weeks. The Ulster and Connacht games might see starters rotated in and out.

• Advertisement

The Munster squad gathered at the HPC on Tuesday morning ahead of this weekend’s Champions Cup and ‘A’ Interprovincial action.

The senior side take on Harlequins in the Champions Cup opener on Sunday at 5.30pm with Munster A facing Ulster A in Belfast on Saturday at 4.30pm.

See what’s coming up this week at Munster Rugby here.

There is good news on the injury front for Fineen Wycherley as he returns to full training following a low-grade groin injury.

The nine Munster players who were on international duty for the Autumn Nations Cup – Tadhg Beirne, Andrew Conway, Shane Daly, Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Conor Murray, Peter O’Mahony, John Ryan and CJ Stander – rejoined the squad at the HPC on Tuesday morning.

Unavailable: Matt Gallagher (shoulder), Alex McHenry (thumb), Jeremy Loughman (shoulder), Niall Scannell (neck), Neil Cronin (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (ankle), RG Snyman (knee), Joey Carbery (ankle).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/12/08/squad-update-munster-begin-preparations-for-double-header/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Ethan Coughlan and Alan Flannery (brother of Jake) training with the Seniors today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster A v Ulster A
    The Munster A team to face Ulster A has been named ahead of Saturday’s Interpro game at the Kingspan Stadium (4.30pm).
    The selection is a mixture of senior, Greencore Munster Rugby Academy and club players.

Tommy O’Donnell captains the side from the back row with fellow Ireland international Darren Sweetnam starting at full-back.

Seán French and Liam Coombes start on either wing with a centre partnership of Jack Crowley and Dan Goggin.

Nick McCarthy and Jake Flannery are named in the half-backs.

Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron and Roman Salanoa pack down in the front row with Paddy Kelly and Thomas Ahern in the second row.

O’Donnell is joined in the back row by Chris Cloete and Jack O’Sullivan.

Senior prop Keynan Knox is among the replacements along with Academy players Scott Buckley, James French, Jack Daly, Alex Kendellen and Jonathan Wren.

The replacements are completed by former CBC pupil Mark Donnelly (Garryowen FC), Clonakilty’s Cian Hurley (Garryowen FC), Leinster sub-Academy loanee Ben Murphy, Ennis man Ethan Coughlan (Shannon RFC), ex-Crescent College winger Conor Phillips (Young Munster RFC) and former Rockwell pupil Alan Flannery (Shannon RFC).

Starting out-half Jake Flannery and replacement Alan Flannery are brothers and started out at Kilfeacle RFC.

Please note this game will be played behind closed doors.

See our Academy player profiles here.

Munster A: Darren Sweetnam; Sean French, Dan Goggin, Jack Crowley, Liam Coombes; Jake Flannery, Nick McCarthy; Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron, Roman Salanoa; Paddy Kelly, Thomas Ahern; Tommy O’Donnell (C), Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements from: Scott Buckley, James French, Mark Donnelly, Keynan Knox, Cian Hurley, Jack Daly, Alex Kendellen, Ben Murphy, Ethan Coughlan, Conor Phillips, Alan Flannery, Jonathan Wren.

Kind of disappointed that we have TOD and Cloete here though maybe like Sweetnam they need some match time in case they're needed next week for H/Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

22-10 to Ulster in the A game, Sweets with the try

Cian Tracey reporting Peter Malone has left his role as head of Academy
    Independent.ie understands that Peter Smyth, the IRFU's head of elite player development, will work with the Munster Academy on an interim basis, before a more permanent solution is put in place.

Munster's elite player development officer Greig Oliver is also heavily involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Confirmation that Bleyendaal is joining Hurricanes as coach

https://www.hurricanes.co.nz/news/article/hurricanes-bolster-coaching-line-up-adding-tyler-bleyendaal/

Shame Munster couldnt have kept him in some role or another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

If Healy is fit he has to start next week, it's not even a discussion now.
    The prop Whycherly deserves a lot of gametime as well, he's a bloody good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,668 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A wins a win, tbh the hurling took over my brain and sadly from the wrong Munster countrie into todays game.

Clermont will be hard to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Poorside wrote: »
    If Healy is fit he has to start next week, it's not even a discussion now.
    The prop Whycherly deserves a lot of gametime as well, he's a bloody good player.

If he's fit being the big issue. JvG said he picked up an injury as a result of being targeted. Didn't give the nature of the injury though.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-van-graan-ben-healy-5298731-Dec2020/

Advertisement